Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2016, 06:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any 5:1 zooms for the K1, starting around 24mm?

Don't laugh - I know it is sacrilege to ask about a zoom for a K1, in the age of primes

Currently I have a K3 with the Pentax 16-85 and find it really brilliant. The combination wasn't cheap... but I can carry it easily, it is really ergonomic, and it does over 99% of what I shoot, which is basically "landscape" work, both on the ground and from a light aircraft.

I am done with the stage when I carried a bag with 5 lenses, 25 rolls of film and an OM1 / OM2SP / OM4Ti So I really value the K3 solution.

It is also clear that a given overall diameter lens (say 80mm) will deliver a better image quality onto an APS sensor than onto a FF sensor. Hence there seem to be no wide range zooms for the K1. There is only the Pentax 24-70mm f2.8 HD FA ED SDM WR which has half the range of mine.

Is there some 3rd party lens which gets close to the 16-85?

The main reason I am looking at the K1 is for its better stabilisation over the K3. This is important for airborne shots, when you can't get a solid platform and high shutter speeds, say 1/3000, are just an illusion, due to the 1/180 shutter and the variable width slot system which all DSLRs use. I don't need more megapixels.

Sure the solution to a limited zoom is to waste some pixels and crop it, but one of the advantages of a zoon is that one can spend that much less time in Lightroom

Any tips much appreciated!

10-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can vouch for the new DFA 28-105 being very good optically, even wide open, while being very small and light.
(but yeah, I wish it started at 24mm)
10-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, yes, thank you... I have just done more searching and found that one too!

It has come out very recently and isn't widely known about.

The reviews are good and it seems slightly better than the 16-85 was on the K3, which is a good achievement for a "plastic" lens at 500+ quid. OTOH it should be better, with a lot less zoom range.

I will probably buy the K1 and that 28-105 lens.

The only remaining thing is I have asked a couple of sellers for new K1 stock. Every Pentax DSLR camera I have had, had to go back for a repair shortly after purchase. IST-DL, K100, K5, K3. Afterwards they were OK. So I have asked for stock with the 1.3 firmware. I know one can upgrade firmware easily but a K1 with 1.3 should be fresh stock.
10-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Every Pentax DSLR camera I have had, had to go back for a repair shortly after purchase. IST-DL, K100, K5, K3.
I can only say that you've been incredibly unlucky - I've had an ME super, SFXn, Z-1, LX, 67, 67ii, K10D, K-3 and K-1, and the Z-1 is the only one I've managed to break (well, if you don't count dropping the ME super in a stream and not managing to dry it out properly - it still went on working for a year or so, but eventually ground to a halt. The Z-1 had it's auto-wind graunch after many hundreds of films. I suppose, in fairness, the 6711 needed a minor repair to the X-sync terminal, but I can't think of anything else.

10-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Don't laugh - I know it is sacrilege to ask about a zoom for a K1, in the age of primes

Currently I have a K3 with the Pentax 16-85 and find it really brilliant. The combination wasn't cheap... but I can carry it easily, it is really ergonomic, and it does over 99% of what I shoot, which is basically "landscape" work, both on the ground and from a light aircraft.

I am done with the stage when I carried a bag with 5 lenses, 25 rolls of film and an OM1 / OM2SP / OM4Ti So I really value the K3 solution.

It is also clear that a given overall diameter lens (say 80mm) will deliver a better image quality onto an APS sensor than onto a FF sensor. Hence there seem to be no wide range zooms for the K1. There is only the Pentax 24-70mm f2.8 HD FA ED SDM WR which has half the range of mine.

Is there some 3rd party lens which gets close to the 16-85?

The main reason I am looking at the K1 is for its better stabilisation over the K3. This is important for airborne shots, when you can't get a solid platform and high shutter speeds, say 1/3000, are just an illusion, due to the 1/180 shutter and the variable width slot system which all DSLRs use. I don't need more megapixels.

Sure the solution to a limited zoom is to waste some pixels and crop it, but one of the advantages of a zoon is that one can spend that much less time in Lightroom

Any tips much appreciated!
Old Tamron/Sigma 24-135mm ?
10-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I can only say that you've been incredibly unlucky - I've had an ME super, SFXn, Z-1, LX, 67, 67ii, K10D, K-3 and K-1, and the Z-1 is the only one I've managed to break (well, if you don't count dropping the ME super in a stream and not managing to dry it out properly - it still went on working for a year or so, but eventually ground to a halt. The Z-1 had it's auto-wind graunch after many hundreds of films. I suppose, in fairness, the 6711 needed a minor repair to the X-sync terminal, but I can't think of anything else.
The advancing mechanism on my wife's Spotmatic F broke and was repaired under warranty. I think the camera was out of warranty but she worked at a camera store and was young and pretty and the sales rep was nice to her
10-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

It has come out very recently and isn't widely known about.

??

Plenty of mentions here ... it's even been reviewed.