Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UrmoP Quote
Probably I will end up with 150-450mm lens. I am Pentax fan.
The reason why I asked the question is that we have wildlife hide. To get good shot there you have to go in dark before animals and birds will be active (there is also bear tracks , but havenīt seen one yet. And if the weather is overcast then it means that I have to wait about 2-3 hours after sunrise before I can use lower iso. For animals the iso 6400 with K-1 and F5.6 it is fine, you do not see (much) it on edited image, but with birds this is different story.
So I got the answer that I was looking for. Thanks for comments.
Maybe you could use a flash with a flash extender.

11-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UrmoP Quote
Hi,

Stupid question, but...
First of all I am Pentax user since day one, but I need something faster for wildlife. Is it possible to use Nikon lenses with K-1? With some kind off adapter? I need fast telephoto lens, but Pentax doesn't have one. I have used rented 150-450mm, but the image quality is not that good. Off course it might be user error or bad copy, and the F5.6 is way too blind.

Thanks in advance.
Come on. When the price for the glass you really need is higher than the price for the camera that you own, something is wrong. Adapters will not make you happy. If you are after long tele lenses most of the time, Pentax is not your first choice. 150-450 is the only way out at the monent and not a bad one. Sigma 4.5/500 would be an additional option, but why pump out money for a Sigma lens with better Canon/Nikon gear available...
03-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone care to elaborate on Nikkor Pre-AI mount works on Pentax K. I have some Nikkor Pre-AI lenses and was thinking of changing out the mounting flange to K type mount. Maybe this is not necesary?
03-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dshfoto Quote
Anyone care to elaborate on Nikkor Pre-AI mount works on Pentax K. I have some Nikkor Pre-AI lenses and was thinking of changing out the mounting flange to K type mount. Maybe this is not necesary?
I own a K1. I have successfully converted 4 Nikkor lenses to K mount using Leitax adapters. I have also made a few attempts to attach Nikkors to Pentax digital cameras without changing the lens' F mount.

If you don't change the F mount to a K type mount, you might be able to attach the Nikkor to the K1, BUT it will not be a tight fit and it will not lock into position. So, it would be easy to accidentally knock the Nikkor lens off of your K1 camera.

But even more important than possibly damaging an inexpensive old Nikkor lens, if you try to "force the fit" of a Nikon F mount lens onto the K mount on your K1 camera - you could easily bend/warp/damage the camera mount itself. Not worth that risk in my opinion.

Rather, it would be better to remove the F mount from the Nikkor lens and replace it with a Leitax F to K adapter. You will need to grind/sand down the two protrusions on the Nikkors' aperture ring a minimum of .20mm (as per the Leitax installation instructions).

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-14-2018 at 09:09 PM.
03-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #20
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
You will need to grind/sand down the two protrusions on the Nikkors' aperture ring a minimum of .20mm (as per the Leitax installation instructions).
Dave, if I recall correctly this doesn't prevent the mount swap from being reversible, which would mean the lens would still function on a Nikon camera once the Nikon F mount was refitted. Is that correct?

Tas
03-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They fit without modification but not very tightly. Some people drill a small hole in the Nikon mount to line up with the locking pin on Pentax to make it more secure. Some use the Adaptist mount replacement to make it easier and more secure. (Voids the warranty). Personally I've only done it with smaller primes, and it felt secure enough, but I'd have been happier with the lens locked in place.
03-15-2018, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Dave, if I recall correctly this doesn't prevent the mount swap from being reversible, which would mean the lens would still function on a Nikon camera once the Nikon F mount was refitted. Is that correct?

Tas
Correct

03-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the information. I did convert a Nikkor AI 85mm f/1.8 with a Leitax adapter. It was a pretty easy process, so I thik I will convert the rest of my Nikkkor lenses. (Some AI, some Pre-AI and some AI-S.
03-16-2018, 01:31 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just writing here to say that you have amazing shots on your website.
03-16-2018, 04:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I own a K1. I have successfully converted 4 Nikkor lenses to K mount using Leitax adapters. I have also made a few attempts to attach Nikkors to Pentax digital cameras without changing the lens' F mount.

If you don't change the F mount to a K type mount, you might be able to attach the Nikkor to the K1, BUT it will not be a tight fit and it will not lock into position. So, it would be easy to accidentally knock the Nikkor lens off of your K1 camera.

But even more important than possibly damaging an inexpensive old Nikkor lens, if you try to "force the fit" of a Nikon F mount lens onto the K mount on your K1 camera - you could easily bend/warp/damage the camera mount itself. Not worth that risk in my opinion.

Rather, it would be better to remove the F mount from the Nikkor lens and replace it with a Leitax F to K adapter. You will need to grind/sand down the two protrusions on the Nikkors' aperture ring a minimum of .20mm (as per the Leitax installation instructions).
Can both manual and AF Nikkor lenses be converted to K mount with the Leitax adapters or only manual? If AF ones can also be converted is AF then lost? Is the same true with 3rd party F mount lenses? Thanks.
03-16-2018, 05:27 AM   #26
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Can both manual and AF Nikkor lenses be converted to K mount with the Leitax adapters or only manual? If AF ones can also be converted is AF then lost? Is the same true with 3rd party F mount lenses? Thanks.
Manual Nikon lenses only mate.

There's not a lot of detail on the Leitax webpage for conversion of Nikon F lenses: Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras but it does state manual lenses in the text.

The best source on this is via their email contact: info@leitax.com it can't hurt to drop them a line and ask about a lens if you had a specific one in mind.

Tas
03-16-2018, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Leitax adapters are designed to work with only certain Nikkor manual focus lenses.

However, I have also used Leitax adapters to adapt premium Nikkor auto focus lenses to Pentax K mount. Leitax does not officially recommend doing this, but I'm a designated Leitax repairman for the USA, and I love to push the envelope and experiment with wonderful Leitax adapters.

For example, I just adapted the Nikkor DC 105mm f/2 lens. It is an autofocus lens. I had to make a number of changes to this lens to make it work. It took me about one day to complete it. It now works great on my K1, however it no longer will auto focus.

I would not suggest anyone else do such experiments unless they have lots of lens repair experience, the proper tools, and/or are willing to risk totally destroying their lens.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-16-2018 at 06:10 PM.
04-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The leitax adapters have worked great for converting a Zeiss 50mm ZF 1.4, and and a couple of AI lenses (28mm, and an 85mm 1.8) However, today I tried to use the Leitax mount to convert a pre-AI 50mm 1.4. It would not work. It seems that the way the camera mount adapters work on the Pre-AI and the AI and AI-S are different. All of my pre-AI have slotted screws while the AI and AI-S have a Japan Standared "phillips". That should have been a tip off. Once I took it apart and I couldn't figure out how to rehook the spring, the lens probably went from a $60 to about $.50 in value. From now on, I will stick with AI-S Nikkors for the the Leitax adapters.
04-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #29
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dshfoto Quote
The leitax adapters have worked great for converting a Zeiss 50mm ZF 1.4, and and a couple of AI lenses (28mm, and an 85mm 1.8) However, today I tried to use the Leitax mount to convert a pre-AI 50mm 1.4. It would not work. It seems that the way the camera mount adapters work on the Pre-AI and the AI and AI-S are different. All of my pre-AI have slotted screws while the AI and AI-S have a Japan Standared "phillips". That should have been a tip off. Once I took it apart and I couldn't figure out how to rehook the spring, the lens probably went from a $60 to about $.50 in value. From now on, I will stick with AI-S Nikkors for the the Leitax adapters.
A shame to hear about that. Did you try contacting Leitax to ask them about what you've found and see if they have a recommendation?

Tas
04-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have emailed them a lot, and they are always responsive. When I looked in to the lens, once I got the lens mount off, I could see that the newer Nikkor and Ziess ZF lenses have a much different set up. It would require an completely differently machined mount, and even then, the aperture might not work. Just wanted to let others on the Pentax forum know.

---------- Post added 04-03-18 at 08:22 PM ----------

I was thinking about sending Leitax.com the lens, to see if they might be interested in making a Pre-AI Nikkor mount for K.