Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Someone in another thread said they talked to someone at Pentax (third-hand info, I know). We're supposed to expect a higher-spec'ed FF next year. Considering most of the recent Pentax zooms have been really solid Tamron rebrands, I have hope for the future.
I am getting calls for video these days. I am totally happy with the K1 for stills. It is the bargain of the decade. However, video is a problem. I wish Pentax would address the issue in the next FF body. I think 36MP is enough for now. Higher MP will be nice but a higher quality 1080P or better yet, 4K is more important to me and will keep me in the Pentax family for a long time to come.

---------- Post added 11-05-16 at 12:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
It also predicted a 645Z upgrade, which makes sense to avoid FF cannibalising MF too much. Here's what I'd guess (without trying to wish for anything, as I just bought a K-1 and a five-year warranty):

• 42 or 50 megapixel sensor
  • 1080p 60FPS or maybe 4k
  • Still no mechanical image stabilisation or aperture control
  • Clean HDMI out
  • Maybe touch screen?
  • Refined smart dial and articulating screen
  • Better continuous shooting (larger buffer, more FPS)
  • Better autofocus
  • Higher megapixel crop mode?
They won't be enough to make most K-1 users upgrade IMO, but will try to offer a more refined solution to the fullframe problem without changing the body radically.
With Hassy and Fuji knocking on the door on the MF side, I guess Pentax has to up the ante. Who knows, Pentax has always surprised us Pentaxians and the photo market in general with very nice surprises in the past, such as the 645D, 645Z, K3, K1 and the list goes on. I would be curious to know what plans they have to address the high quality video invasion into the DSLR and mirrorless worlds.

11-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Hi texandrews,

Since you own the Z and did own the A7R, I am curious about dynamic range of the A7R. I know the Z has perhaps one of the best in the business. I own the K1 and I am amazed every time I shoot high contrast situations that how much shadow detail I can pull out of the images in post. I shoot as if I were shooting film era transparency film. I make sure I do not blow the highlights knowing that K1 will allow me to recover almost all of the shadow information without the noise or artifacting penalty. Again I was wondering if the A7R has similar capability as the K1 or the Z.

Thanks,
Boris
Hi, Boris. Sorry to take a while to respond.
The A7R had exceptional DR. I loved the camera. I cursed loud and long when Pentax announced the Z only 2 or 3 months after I bought my A7R. I almost didn't buy the Z, and had no business doing so financially in so many ways, yet I did it in the early summer of 2014, one of the first buyers in the U.S. Trade-ins from a very decent sort of local store made the purchase possible. It was excruciatingly painful financially----yet I am so very glad I did it. One thing that made the whole purchase make sense was that I already had a 645N and some lenses, and had been actively snapping up some used lens deals.

That spring I had been shooting a continued series of trees in bloom, which i do in the dark or near dark using flash. So what I get are images that have intense darks and intense lights both, but also some important subtle transitions between them. The A7R handled these startlingly well.

But the Z was so, so much better. There is a "suave-ness" to the tonalities that was very clear to me when I was able to compare images made under similar circumstances (and sometimes exactly the same trees, just a year later...). The DR of the A7R, therefore, is excellent---and I expect the K1 single shots to be the same or just slightly better, raw wise. I'm not a fan of Pentax jpgs from what I have seen (although I haven't bothered to tweak them...). Sony's are better by a lot out of the box....but still not as good as Oly, the jpg king imo.

But note that this is not something the average person (not especially interested or trained in photography or the visual arts) would ever see, and not something that could be seen in any print below 24"/60cm on the short side. Current screen/projection technology also struggles to show the difference today, but of course that will change.

I don't want to post images here, and am starting to get a little paranoid about my own website. But I could do a Dropbox with you if you were interested, with unprocessed raws. Let me know. But you'll have to be a little patient---I am slammed at work ( a good thing, because I need the money...)and have a daily commute of 4 hours or more, leaving me little time for much else. But I am willing to share with you.

BTW: The A7R made me a fan of EV's. The Z's optical VF is fantastic, but in the dark? Give me an EV!
11-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Thank you for getting back to me

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Hi, Boris. Sorry to take a while to respond.
No worries. Work always takes priority. You had so many good points, I am taking it all in. I wanted the Z really bad but could not justify the cost. I even bought a few 645 lenses in anticipation but eventually talked myself out of it. So I bought the K1 instead. To me it is my poor man's Z! When I tried the Sony EVF a few years ago, I did not like it at all. But seeing and knowing what it does, the concept grew on me.

I will send you a PM for the RAW sharing. I do not blame you for being cautious about your images. A good friend of mine decided to share a star image of mine on his Facebook page. I asked him to take it down. I was in LA and did the processing of the image on his computer and left the final processed image on his computer and forgot to erase it. He is very trusting in an almost naive way. He shares his hi-res images with the world. I guess there is not much commercial value in a wedding photo. However, I shoot landscapes and lots of panoramas. The image he shared was a panorama from a unique vantage point. I adore him because he helped me a lot when I shot weddings for a living. He is also 78 years old so I could not get too mad!

Thanks again for your feedback.
11-09-2016, 01:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
anyone waiting for K1 deal too?
I just see the US election news. I will see how far the USD will drop, and if PENTAX will adjust the price over there? If they didn't adjust the price (unlikely) + USD dropped a lot compare to JPY,
I might ask a friend to get one for me when he visit home during new year holiday.