Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 price...

I am pretty determined to buy K1 when it launch... but while waiting for it, I shoot a lot of P67 and P645 and really like them and think I should skip full frame and really be going for a 645z for my next digital body... (and spend the dough on MF lenses)

few weeks ago I decided for digital I should go for something different so I prefer order the mavic. but at the same time, I think I should also get the K1 as my K5iis start to show its age, and 645z probably won't drop to the current 645D price (around 3000) for a bit time (the price point I can afford)... and that is when I found out K1 is now $1950. lol

anyway... I now wait for some deal on K1 during Thanksgiving and I will bite this time (with a Sigma 35 art).

anyone waiting for K1 deal too?

11-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I am pretty determined to buy K1 when it launch... but while waiting for it, I shoot a lot of P67 and P645 and really like them and think I should skip full frame and really be going for a 645z for my next digital body... (and spend the dough on MF lenses)

few weeks ago I decided for digital I should go for something different so I prefer order the mavic. but at the same time, I think I should also get the K1 as my K5iis start to show its age, and 645z probably won't drop to the current 645D price (around 3000) for a bit time (the price point I can afford)... and that is when I found out K1 is now $1950. lol

anyway... I now wait for some deal on K1 during Thanksgiving and I will bite this time (with a Sigma 35 art).

I'm pretty happy with the deal I got on my K-1 (see the K-1 Sub-forum).
11-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I'm pretty happy with the deal I got on my K-1 (see the K-1 Sub-forum).
oh nice.... they sell you at old pricing! maybe I should call... lol
11-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never hurts to ask!

11-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I was saving up for the 645Z until I got a chance to shoot with the K1. I got the K1 when it was introduced. Given the quality, it is still a bargain at $1,950.

I do not think I am going to gain a lot for all the extra money I have to pay for an entire 645Z system (body and lenses). BTW, about two years ago I bought a few legacy 645 lenses in anticipation of a 645Z acquisition. However, after owning the K1 for a few months now, I am going to list the 645 lenses for sale. No switching to 645Z unless Pentax ups the game to a 100MP range. Then there is a reason to upgrade from the K1.
11-04-2016, 12:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Got the catalog price

oh nice.... they sell you at old pricing! maybe I should call... lol
When I got my new B&H catalog, it had the old price, something like $1,746. I called B&H and got Chuck, very nice sales person, who carefully quizzed me about my lenses to make sure it was really the K-1 that I wanted. Then he agreed to sell the K-1 at the catalog price. He had me buy it through the Pentax
Forum portal at the new $1,900+ price in order to give PF the credit for the sale, and then he asked me to email him with my order number and he would refund the extra amount above the catalog price. I do not know if he was making me a one-time concession, or if he would do it for others who inquire about the low catalog price. Well, if not, there are sure to be some nice discount prices coming soon as we move into holiday season.

Anyway, my K-1 should arrive today, and I am looking forward to mounting the 77, 31, and 43 (consecutively, I mean) and capturing a few images.

I also have been debating jumping directly to Z, maybe just buying the FA 75 and using my collection of 645-A lenses, but dropped the idea as too expensive as the K-1 is probably more suitable for my uses.
11-05-2016, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Just as an FYI: Pentax has increased its dealer pricing to what the old MRSP was. So, anyone who can sell at that old price is either making nothing off the sale or is selling something they bought at the old dealer price. The story above about B&H speaks volumes about the sort of integrity they have (especially redirecting back to here and then doing a credit back---wow.). But I doubt they will be able to honor that sort of pricing much longer.

I have a Z, and have a K1 on order as my backup camera, after doing a second purge of gear (including my last film camera, and an A7R, both beloved) for the needed cash. As above, I will indeed be adapting some of my 645 lenses, hopefully with a T/S adapter as well (or else go back to the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 24 T/S for Pentax). I'll also use some legacy glass, and the 28-105 I ordered.

I know that single shot to single shot, I will be able to see the difference between the 2 cameras, as I have been comparing against the A7R. The resolution difference is there, but truly it's more about tonalities, especially in the darks, and tonal transitions. The average person would go "Huh?", but any of us see it immediately if you know where to look. And then you will find yourself always looking there ;-}

I am quite curious how the pixel shift will do, however---although a couple of its limitations truly are limiting for some of my shooting.

11-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Just as an FYI: Pentax has increased its dealer pricing to what the old MRSP was. So, anyone who can sell at that old price is either making nothing off the sale or is selling something they bought at the old dealer price. The story above about B&H speaks volumes about the sort of integrity they have (especially redirecting back to here and then doing a credit back---wow.). But I doubt they will be able to honor that sort of pricing much longer.

I have a Z, and have a K1 on order as my backup camera, after doing a second purge of gear (including my last film camera, and an A7R, both beloved) for the needed cash. As above, I will indeed be adapting some of my 645 lenses, hopefully with a T/S adapter as well (or else go back to the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 24 T/S for Pentax). I'll also use some legacy glass, and the 28-105 I ordered.

I know that single shot to single shot, I will be able to see the difference between the 2 cameras, as I have been comparing against the A7R. The resolution difference is there, but truly it's more about tonalities, especially in the darks, and tonal transitions. The average person would go "Huh?", but any of us see it immediately if you know where to look. And then you will find yourself always looking there ;-}

I am quite curious how the pixel shift will do, however---although a couple of its limitations truly are limiting for some of my shooting.
Hi texandrews,

Since you own the Z and did own the A7R, I am curious about dynamic range of the A7R. I know the Z has perhaps one of the best in the business. I own the K1 and I am amazed every time I shoot high contrast situations that how much shadow detail I can pull out of the images in post. I shoot as if I were shooting film era transparency film. I make sure I do not blow the highlights knowing that K1 will allow me to recover almost all of the shadow information without the noise or artifacting penalty. Again I was wondering if the A7R has similar capability as the K1 or the Z.

Thanks,
Boris
11-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote

I agree 100% on your comment about B&H. I just called to inquire whether the catalog price still held, and certainly did not demand or even request the price, and Chuck simply volunteered to offer it. They have won my business for lots of years to come . . . well, I am 76 now. :>)
11-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Was lucky to get my k-1 for 1799 from Kenmore camera ebay store, bundled with 2 SD cards. Was from a newer batch (end of august). I see prices increasing across the board now, I guess due to yen/usd exchange rates
11-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Was lucky to get my k-1 for 1799 from Kenmore camera ebay store, bundled with 2 SD cards. Was from a newer batch (end of august). I see prices increasing across the board now, I guess due to yen/usd exchange rates
Historically, it looks like we're back at a dollar/yen rate equivalent to 2014, with 2015 having an unusually weak yen. The natural disasters earlier this year in Japan coupled with strong demand for the K-1 doesn't hurt the price.
11-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Historically, it looks like we're back at a dollar/yen rate equivalent to 2014, with 2015 having an unusually weak yen. The natural disasters earlier this year in Japan coupled with strong demand for the K-1 doesn't hurt the price.
Im just happy I got mine before the price spiked. Maybe it'll drop next year, who knows. Anyone knows the sales numbers of k-1? Are we close to interest third party manufacturers to be interested in k mount again?)
11-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im just happy I got mine before the price spiked. Maybe it'll drop next year, who knows. Anyone knows the sales numbers of k-1? Are we close to interest third party manufacturers to be interested in k mount again?)
Someone in another thread said they talked to someone at Pentax (third-hand info, I know). We're supposed to expect a higher-spec'ed FF next year. Considering most of the recent Pentax zooms have been really solid Tamron rebrands, I have hope for the future.
11-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Interesting. I wonder if new ff body will have better af and may e higher mp? Seems most of new ff offerings from other bands going into really high mp territory, and having a large area of the sensor covered with af points. Although I think for what I shoot, I'll be happy with k-1 for at least few years, 36mp is high enough for me, af isn't that important for my landscapes and occasional portrait work. But I see maybe demanding pros wanting a higher spec'ed body in future.
11-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. I wonder if new ff body will have better af and may e higher mp? Seems most of new ff offerings from other bands going into really high mp territory, and having a large area of the sensor covered with af points. Although I think for what I shoot, I'll be happy with k-1 for at least few years, 36mp is high enough for me, af isn't that important for my landscapes and occasional portrait work. But I see maybe demanding pros wanting a higher spec'ed body in future.
It also predicted a 645Z upgrade, which makes sense to avoid FF cannibalising MF too much. Here's what I'd guess (without trying to wish for anything, as I just bought a K-1 and a five-year warranty):

• 42 or 50 megapixel sensor
  • 1080p 60FPS or maybe 4k
  • Still no mechanical image stabilisation or aperture control
  • Clean HDMI out
  • Maybe touch screen?
  • Refined smart dial and articulating screen
  • Better continuous shooting (larger buffer, more FPS)
  • Better autofocus
  • Higher megapixel crop mode?
They won't be enough to make most K-1 users upgrade IMO, but will try to offer a more refined solution to the fullframe problem without changing the body radically.