Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am about to get a K1; sold my A7R...

and all the flash gear and Sony specific lenses, etc, to finance the purchase. Kept 2 Pentax mf lenses, an m and a k. I have the 645Z, lenses, flashes, triggers all for Pentax, will get an adapter to use with the K1---maybe a T/S adapter as well for my 35 A. So one thing that's going to help is being all-in with one system, one menu system, similar ergonomics. People complain about Sony's menus: all menus are a PITA , imo. I wish they were user configurable so that we could put the stuff we use all the time all in one place.

I trade in compactness somewhat---although the Sony's short FB distance meant adapters that pushed otherwise compact lenses out a bit awkwardly. So, in a way the K1 will be about the same sort of physical size in one way, albeit heavier. I think with some of the smaller Pentax lenses it's going to be easier to carry it with me in my work bag, actually. And heavier/more mass can also be helpful in holding a camera steady. I kept the vertical grip pretty much permanently attached to the A7R not only to help with battery life, but also ergonomics and for mass, which helped with the (real but overblown) shutter shock problem.

No question the weather proofing will be a boon---I'm getting the 28-105 for that, just as I have the 55 for my Z.

As far as adapted lenses go, and EVF vs. OVF----there is no question that EVF's are great in low light AFAIC. As good as the OVF in my Z is, and it's brilliant, the lower the light the more difficult to focus, period. I sometimes have to revert to AF when available, which I don't like, or use a light when I can. At the same time, when it's light enough to see ok then the OVF is fine. And the focus confirmation in Pentax is great with older lenses---very cool. Yes, focus peaking is better implemented in Sony (why, Pentax, can we not choose our color???), but OVF's give a better read on DOF in my experience to date---with focus peaking the peaking effect can get confusing/cluttered. So, I'm a fan of EVF's and what they can do, but they still aren't perfect. I can be happy with both.

11-15-2016, 06:00 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Good points.
I'm on an older A7 (Kolari modded) and don't see a need for a higher end model for my needs.

Personally, I'd like to think that with the K1 out for some time now, the camera and the user base has matured enough to involve some discussion on the merits (and demerits).

Futhermore, if cameras like the A7 series make people use their Pentax MF lenses more and bring them to full glory with more samples on the internet (forums, flickr, facebook, etc), its not a bad thing at all.
Pentax deserves/needs all the exposure it needs to a few generation of users who think Canikon are historically the only good makers out there.

So black cat or white cat, I don't really care, so long as it catches the mouse.
As I noted in the OP, I have both systems. I wish my A7R were the newer model with IBIS, but it was a question of $900 (eBay) vs $3,300, and $900 won out. If you don't have a personal dislike for EVF, the way a pre-A lens works on a Sony cannot be duplicated on the K1. I usually view the scene in DOF, and focus with peaking and zooming at eye level, but there is no finder darkening unless exposure is inadequate. Flash and the majority of exposure modes work with no fiddling. As a bonus, I can go from a Pentax to a Zeiss Contax mount to a screw mount as easily as changing an e-mount lens. Adapters are cheap, and except for long lenses, the cheap ones do well. The only platform which is superior for K and M lenses is a film body with a good screen.

I am a huge fan of the K1 for AF glass, and if I have the right lens, I prefer the option of AF and greatly prefer the K1. It is even quieter than the A7R despite its mirror. However, there are many older lenses I can't afford to jump in and duplicate for FF en masse. Some are as common as the K135/2.5 or a 28mm F/2. Others include two 500mm lenses, both of which work better on the A7R or A6000 than on modern Pentax bodies. I understand why some do not like EVF, but difference in focusing a Tamron 500/8 mirror on a Sony EVF and a Pentax DSLR screen is literally night and day.

Last edited by GeneV; 11-15-2016 at 06:07 AM.
11-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You mention cheap adapters work except on long lenses. Can you expand on that?
11-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You mention cheap adapters work except on long lenses. Can you expand on that?
There are a lot of adapters out there for under $30, many for under $20. Other adapters like the ones from Novoflex or Voigtlander are several hundred dollars. You get what you pay for. The cheap ones are less sturdy than the expensive ones. For short, light lenses, the cheap ones work well. I often just leave an inexpensive adapter on some of the older M lenses like the M20/4 or M28/2.8 or the Zeiss/Contax 85mm.

However, for a long lens on a tripod, where the camera is hanging off the mount, and you are moving a 2' long lens around, there can be some movement in those cheap adapters. The Novoflex is solid as a rock.

Last edited by GeneV; 11-16-2016 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Correction of adapter brand
11-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
There are a lot of adapters out there for under $30, many for under $20. Other adapters like the ones from Fotodiox or Voigtlander are several hundred dollars. You get what you pay for. The cheap ones are less sturdy than the expensive ones. For short, light lenses, the cheap ones work well. I often just leave an inexpensive adapter on some of the older M lenses like the M20/4 or M28/2.8 or the Zeiss/Contax 85mm.

However, for a long lens on a tripod, where the camera is hanging off the mount, and you are moving a 2' long lens around, there can be some movement in those cheap adapters. The Fotodiox is solid as a rock.
Interesting. I have used Fotasy and Fotodiox and not found any tolerance differences using a K to NX or K to m43 and an FA* 300 a DA* 60-250 etc. But obviously I could just have better than average tolerances on my copies. Thank you for clarifying - I can understand that tolerance differences would be more significant for longer lenses.
11-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Interesting. I have used Fotasy and Fotodiox and not found any tolerance differences using a K to NX or K to m43 and an FA* 300 a DA* 60-250 etc. But obviously I could just have better than average tolerances on my copies. Thank you for clarifying - I can understand that tolerance differences would be more significant for longer lenses.
I am sorry I misspoke the Fotodiox is a cheap one. I meant the Novoflex is the one I use on long lenses.
11-16-2016, 11:40 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I am sorry I misspoke the Fotodiox is a cheap one. I meant the Novoflex is the one I use on long lenses.
Ahhhhh. Ok. I haven't tried one but as I said mine have felt rock solid. My dad uses Fotasy on his Panasonic to mount a Canon FD 200 f2.8 but that's not a very massive lens all things considered.