Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote

See here for an explanation.

This is very helpful to read through, thanks. I take it this is something new with the K1? I don't recall this issue happening with my RAW filed imported from my K5?

11-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Antifreez Quote
This is very helpful to read through, thanks. I take it this is something new with the K1? I don't recall this issue happening with my RAW filed imported from my K5?
Nope, it's always been an issue with raw files. Adobe has to make an interpretation of every raw file you give it and you seem to like the Adobe's K-5 rendition better than their K-1. Two suggestions:

• Scroll down to the Camera Calibration tab, try a few different profiles and processes. In particular, switch to embedded and see if you like that better.
  • Take a K-5 and K-1 photo of the same subject, bring them into Lightroom with Compare View. Try and make the K-1 photo look more like the K-5 photo, then save those changes into a preset you can apply to incoming K-1 photos.
11-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Antifreez Quote
No, LR has been that way since pretty much the beginning. Profiles are assigned on import and stay with the image.* Camera-specific profiles become available as as part of the LR update process. For your specific example:
  • The most recent version of LR 5.x is LR 5.7.1 (ACR 8.7.1). Support for the K-S1 was added in that version. K-5 support has existed since LR 3.3.
  • LR 6.x initial release Pentax support is the same as for LR 5.7.1
  • CD purchase provides LR 6.x initial release with download of the update required to get the current version.
  • Pentax K-1 support was added in LR 6.5.1 (ACR 9.5.1) shortly after the camera's debut
  • Current version of LR is 6.7 (ACR 9.7)
  • LR versions before 6.5.1 are not able to import PEF from the K-1. They ARE able to import K-1 DNG, by using the embedded profile within the DNG.**
  • LR versions 6.5.1 and newer import both K-1 PEF and DNG with an Adobe Standard profile specific to the K-1.
Clear as mud, right? I went through a similar experience when I upgraded from 3.x to 5.x.

Edit: In regards to the change of appearance as the image loads...The initial image is the preview JPG from the RAW file. These are replaced by the processed RAW image as the data is converted.

Steve

* This may sound a bit retrograde, except that application of a new profile AFTER import may result in unexpected changes to edits.

** The embedded profile is pretty anemic, but does the job.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-07-2016 at 04:59 PM.
11-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #19

Original Poster
Certainly a lot to chew on. Thanks a million to you all for the detailed responses to help me moving forward. May be clear as mud, but I'm far better off now than I was 24 hours ago.

BTW, I finally got the 6.7 update, so it's now reading the RAW PEF files

11-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks a lot gang for the great info. I am trying to decide whether to upgrade to LR 6.5 FROM 5.7. I have never used LR before. Bought 5.7 two years ago but never used it. Running a K3.

Michael