Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

Lightroom 6: "Preview Unavailable for this File"

Apologies if this question has already been addressed on the forum.

I recently purchased a K1, and tried to import my first pictures into Lightroom 5.7.

I received the message that the preview is unavailable... "The files are not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom"

I did a forum search and found that I needed to upgrade to Lightroom 6, which I just did. I upgraded, downloaded, and am using Lightroom 6. However, I'm still getting the same message above.

Also, under Lens Corrections, it's not recognizing any profiles. I'm shooting the K1 + FA77

Would appreciate any help. Thanks

11-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #2

Lightroom 5.7 opens my K1 raw files. I use DNG format. Are you using PEF?
11-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had no problems with LR5.7 opening files. I recently changed to LR6 just to get the lens ID and profiles for for the new DFAs

Jeff

---------- Post added 11-06-16 at 10:43 PM ----------

Just a quick thought. Are you shooting in Raw. I just had a problem with my last batch of photos where LR showed no Pentax lens profiles were available. After a couple hours including re-installing LR, I checked the camera and it was set to JPEG and that was why.

Jeff
11-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Antifreez Quote
Would appreciate any help. Thanks
You might want to re-import the files.

Steve

11-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by red_potatoes Quote
Lightroom 5.7 opens my K1 raw files. I use DNG format. Are you using PEF?
The first round of photos I took was with PEF files. Once I realized I couldn't open them in Lightroom 5.7, I started shooting in DNG. However, even after upgrading to Lightroom 6, I'm not able to view the PEF files.

QuoteOriginally posted by screwdriver222 Quote

[/COLOR]Just a quick thought. Are you shooting in Raw. I just had a problem with my last batch of photos where LR showed no Pentax lens profiles were available. After a couple hours including re-installing LR, I checked the camera and it was set to JPEG and that was why.

Jeff
Ah, thanks. I had converted those PEF files to JPEG to view them in Lightroom. That's why the profile info wasn't coming up. I just checked on the DNG files and I'm seeing the profiles.

Any other ideas as to why I can't view the PEF files in Lightroom 6 would be great. I'll plan to call Adobe/Lightroom for support when I get a chance.
11-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any other ideas as to why I can't view the PEF files in Lightroom 6 would be great. I'll plan to call Adobe/Lightroom for support when I get a chance.
Do you have latest version of LR6 installed?
11-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does LR6 continue to get camera raw profile updates? I though only LR CC was getting those updates now?

11-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Do you have latest version of LR6 installed?
That's a good question. I just paid for the upgrade to LR6 today. I uploaded the software and assumed I would now have the latest version, which I believe is 6.7? Can you tell me how to confirm that?
11-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a good question. I just paid for the upgrade to LR6 today. I uploaded the software and assumed I would now have the latest version, which I believe is 6.7? Can you tell me how to confirm that?
That's the latest version, CC notwithstanding.
11-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Does LR6 continue to get camera raw profile updates? I though only LR CC was getting those updates now?
I decided to get the LR6 software rather than do the CC membership. I knew with that choice that I wouldn't get the periodic updates, but it was my understanding that LR6 would be able to read the K1 PEF raw files.
11-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I decided to get the LR6 software rather than do the CC membership. I knew with that choice that I wouldn't get the periodic updates, but it was my understanding that LR6 would be able to read the K1 PEF raw files.
Ah, you're right. Support for the K-1 was added in 6.5.1. Even D FA lenses are supported through 6.7 with lens corrections, FYI.
11-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #12

Original Poster
I've discovered another strange issue as I've started using LR6 with my K1 DNG files.

After importing, I click on an image to Develop. I can see the image as it's buffering, and then once it has completed buffering, it then suddenly loses a significant amount of color. Any ideas as to what is causing this?
11-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Any ideas as to what is causing this?
Sounds like a graphics card or GPU issue. Does the problem go away if you turn off using the graphics processor, and then re-start LR:

Menu > Edit > Preferences > Performance > Camera Raw: Use Graphics Processor - On|Off

And it might be a good time to check if your [Nvidia/ATI/Intel etc] graphics card is using the latest drivers too.
11-07-2016, 12:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom Help menu > System Info... will show which version LR you have.
I've discovered another strange issue as I've started using LR6 with my K1 DNG files.

After importing, I click on an image to Develop. I can see the image as it's buffering, and then once it has completed buffering, it then suddenly loses a significant amount of color. Any ideas as to what is causing this?
See here for an explanation.
11-07-2016, 01:42 AM   #15

LR 6 when downloaded is version 6.0 all you have to do is update it, click on "help" then "update".

Jeff