Hi all,

I currently have a K-50 with the following gear:

DA 50mm f1.8
DA 35mm f2.4
DA L 18-55mm WR
DA L 50-200mm WR
M 28mm f2.8
M 50mm f1.7
Kalimar Auto Zoom 35-135mm Macro (1:4 Magnification) (Found this manual focus lens at a pawn shop, and it's a gem!)
Quantaray AF LD 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro (1:2 Magnification)
Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 II Macro

So obviously it's a pretty basic kit, with nothing really fancy or even on a professional level.

I do want to be serious about my photography though, at least as an enthusiast, and plan to take it up a notch once I am done with my bachelors degree. Lately I haven't even taken my camera out for lack of time but I plan to make up for that and I eventually want to get a K-1 or whatever the top Pentax FF is when I am ready.

That brings me to the purpose of this post. I plan on making some purchases over the next 2-4 years as I try to get good enough with my K-50 to merit having a FF. I would like to build up a lens kit for a FF camera and I'd like some advice as to what lenses would be a good choice over the next few years. I am also not opposed to upgrading to a K-3II at some point either, as I plan on eventually having a 2 camera kit and I would want something a little nicer than the entry level K-50 as my second body.

I mostly do macro, nature, and landscape photography but I enjoy any kind. I plan on doing astro photography as well (very excited for this - been wanting to do it for years).

I already plan on purchasing the D FA 100 Macro WR in the Spring (it's my graduation prize!) so I will have that at least. Other than that, I don't think most of my gear will be usable or ideal for a FF, but that's where you guys come in with advice I hope.

So far, I'm thinking something along the lines of this:

D FA 100 Macro WR $550
SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro $330
HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR $541

I still need to identify a good long zoom lens and perhaps a super or ultra wide for astro shots. I probably won't manage anything that costs above $800 or so, but I'd be open to suggestions as I could make it happen if I catch my Wife in a good mood :-)

Thanks for any feedback!

11-16-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I still need to identify a good long zoom lens and perhaps a super or ultra wide for astro shots. I probably won't manage anything that costs above $800 or so, but I'd be open to suggestions as I could make it happen if I catch my Wife in a good mood :-)
If you're on a budget, the Tamron 70-200mm is a very solid choice.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR $541
This is a good FF kit lens choice for sure, though probably not wide enough on the K-50.

The DA 35mm actually covers FF almost perfectly, so you could also keep that lens in your kit

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since you aren't in a big hurry you might want to keep watching for new lens introductions, five new FF lenses on the D FA roadmap. I don't have a K-1 or any of the new FF lenses so I can't say much about them. There are some older FF lens that can be had at bargain prices, which you've already found one. The F-35-70 zoom is a good one, as is the older FA-28-105 4-5.6 zoom (or Tamron version (same lens). As for a longer zoom, the d FA 150-450 is supposed to be a beast of a lens, but has a price out of your range. There are probably not any older FF zooms nearly that good, at least that are in your range. Your post made me realize that I would not have many FF lenses to make the jump, but I think I still will eventually, but I'm in no hurry.