Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2016, 12:29 AM   #1

K-1 and 1000x SD

Can anyone tell me if the K-1 can benefit from this card's speed?

LexarŽ Professional 1000x SDHC?/SDXC? UHS-II

At the other end I'm using a late 2015 MacBook Pro for transfers ... I can't find a definitive answer about the speed of the built-in sd card reader. System Report doesn't list it under USB and there is no bus speed listed under Card Reader. (Sigh).

Any help much appreciated. 🙂

11-18-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good news Grant! I had this exact same pair of questions a couple of hours ago, and now I have answers!

The K-1 only benefits from UHS-I. If you don't believe me, you can check for the I on the SD card door. On the other hand, the recent MacBook Pros use a USB-based SD card reader, which has a theoretical max read speed of 480MBit/s, according to this Apple support article. That sounds like way more than UHS-II spec of 150MB/s, but we're getting confused by units.

Rather than possibly getting the math wrong ourselves, I've outsourced it to Wolfram Alpha, so now we're working in the same units:

480Mbits/s = 60MB/s

Ouch, we're losing a lot of our potential read speed.

If you don't want to use an external card reader and don't mind your current read speeds, then get a UHS-I card. If you really can't wait, then maybe consider a UHS-II card and a UHS-II card reader. Giving the falling price of SD storage though, I think a few 128GB UHS-I cards hits my sweet spot. You might differ, though.
11-18-2016, 12:55 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GrantFS Quote

At the other end I'm using a late 2015 MacBook Pro for transfers ... I can't find a definitive answer about the speed of the built-in sd card reader. System Report doesn't list it under USB and there is no bus speed listed under Card Reader. (Sigh).

The camera can't, but it might not be a bad idea to pick up one of these cards to future-proof your kit. With an external UHS-II reader, you can potentially achieve faster transfer speeds to your computer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GrantFS Quote

About the SD and SDXC card slot - Apple Support

Odd that you don't see it under USB.

11-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wanted to add that I decided to pick up a faster SD card reader, and there are many choices. I wanted one that supported UHS-II for the future, was compact and durable. I settled on this Kingston reader for $9. The main caution from reviews is that if it overheats, you should get a replacement through Amazon or Kingston ASAP. It will eventually fail or take a card with it. If it does not overheat, then it should last a long time without any issues at all, so it sounds like it was a bad batch. The alternatives are huge multi-card readers that often still suffered quality issues or other SD card readers with less predictable quality concerns.
11-19-2016, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thank you chaps.

Regarding the MacBook Pro late 2015:

I have searched, as you did lithedreamer and I found some discrepancy and uncertainty about the read speed of the 2015 MacBook Pro's SD card slot, so I downloaded a speed test from the iTunes store (Blackmagic) and guess what ... it's clearly faster than the USB 2 bus would allow, so it must be using the USB 3 bus.

I have Lexar Pro SDXC class-1, U1, 10 and rated on the card at 600x (90MBs). My test = 45MBs write and 85MBs read!

I also have SanDisk Extreme PLUS SDHC class-1, U3, 10 and rated on the card at 90MBs. My test = 57MBs write and 89MBs read!

So if anyone has the same Mac and a Class-11 card and cares to run the test, I'd be really interested to know if this Mac can read at Class-11 speeds.

However ... in the context of the K-1, this begs another question:

K-1:

The K-1 tells us it supports SDXC 1. What does that really mean? Ironically, the best explanation I have found is right here on these forums (handy!).

Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

However, the article is a little surprising, to me at least. In the "Pentax DSLR Compatibility" chart it suggests that the K-1 has a *slower* write speed than many of its predecessors, specifically - K-3, K-3 II, 645Z, K-S1, K-S2. Can this really be true? Anyway ... it says that the minimum write speed for the K-1 is 32MBs and suggests using UHS-I U3 cards, which have a maximum write speed of 90MBs and read speed of 95MBs.

It previously says: "Similarly, UHS-II cards will work in a UHS-I slot at reduced speed, possibly slower than high-end UHS-I cards".

So what is the actual hit on write speed for the K-1when using Class 11 cards and can my Mac benefit from the hugely increased read speed (3x) of the Class 11 cards?

My main concern here, is that I'm using my K-1 almost exclusively in pixel-shift mode. This raises another question ... Would card write speed actually be slowing it down, or is the card already waiting for the processor to do it's thing??

Questions questions questions ...

-

Last edited by GrantFS; 11-19-2016 at 03:18 AM.