Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 01:40 AM   #16

If you can handle manual focus, and exceptionally smooth and enjoyable manual focus might I add, then why not Zeiss? This lens is amazing! [NEW] Carl zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F/2 ZK lens For Pentax K Mount Made In Japan | eBay

11-23-2016, 04:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohsonChou Quote
Here is why 24-70 is on the table:
Would I be able to survive the holiday trips with just the 35mm Prime? I won't have cash to get 85mm Prime before mid next year.
(35mm Prime includes 31 and 85 includes 77)
Well.. this may not make sense to even me, but, if you like prime lenses, it is possible you will be happy with whatever you have mounted... I pretty much am.. unless there is a need for a focal range like tele for animals... I find subjects for the lens I have*.

Plus, you have a nice and practical digital zoom in the K1. You could crop your pictures with the 31 and, compared to the APS-C, have the equivalent to 21mm - ..31mm. If this range made you happy on APS-C, the 31 alone [or DA 35 or FA35 or whichever] on FF might not as limiting as it seems.

* although I have pictures of a deer with K24 and arctic fox with 77, I'll admit there are times longer FL and larger lenses are useful :^|

Last edited by Tan68; 11-23-2016 at 04:15 AM.
11-23-2016, 09:41 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 24-70 is excellent on the k-1. I haven't been using the 31 much since getting it. These are all premium lenses.
What you could do is get though is get the 31 used and then the 28-105 as your vacation zoom. It is every bit as sharp and colorful as the 24-70.
28-105 wide open

FA31 wide open
11-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You would have rented the DA35 f2.8 Macro Limited, John, which has nothing to do with the DA35, and is an APS-C only lens.

The cheaper DA35 is a plastic fantastic, and can be thought of as a younger sibling to the full frame FA35. The DA35/FA35 are sharp because they have a two piece (glass/resin) aspherical element. These are excellent lenses. The bokeh will never be as smooth as the FA31 though because they have six straight aperture blades instead of nine rounded.
Yeah, I thought I had read somewhere that the 35 macro limited was FF compatible, and then I read Michael Johnston's glowing review of it, so I had to try it. Lesson learned. Interesting to learn about the DA 35, thanks.

Some of the difficulty I encounter with all the Pentax lenses (except my FA 50 macro 2.8) comes from my tendency to shoot the K1 just like I shoot my EM1. The EM1 is much more forgiving, with high depth of field and modern lenses that are generally very sharp across the frame. The K1 shows both details and flaws more, and has less depth of field. Using f11-F13 seems quite good for the 31 1.8. F16 seems to soften things a little too much. In general I need to focus deeper into the shot to get the background sharp than I'm used to with m43 cameras.

11-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote

Some of the difficulty I encounter with all the Pentax lenses (except my FA 50 macro 2.8) comes from my tendency to shoot the K1 just like I shoot my EM1. The EM1 is much more forgiving, with high depth of field and modern lenses that are generally very sharp across the frame.
I've not shot medium format, but that'd be even more challenging!

Part of the m43 'sharpness' is that you're really getting a JPEG. The lens has a table of distortion, sharpness/vignetting values the camera uses, so it processes the RAW as well.

A lot of manufacturers are guilty of this to one extent or another, but Pentax have outright stated they do very little of this in their designs.

It's up to us in post to do what's required rather than trust the camera's judgement.

11-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #21

Hello

Goming back to the initial Question: If you liked 35 mm on Crop you should look for e.g. 43mm on FF and leave out the zoom (which you did not use on crop if I understood right)

I have the 35/1,4 Art and the DFA24-70 beside others.
I thought about the FA31 but I think the newer design and I licke th Dock-option for AF-Adjustment. I love 35mm and if I have to deside for one focal lengt I would always choose 35mm. The DFA24-70 is a great but bulky lens - but I can recommand it too.
11-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks for the inputs, people, they really helps.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Well.. this may not make sense to even me, but, if you like prime lenses, it is possible you will be happy with whatever you have mounted... I pretty much am.. unless there is a need for a focal range like tele for animals... I find subjects for the lens I have*.

Plus, you have a nice and practical digital zoom in the K1. You could crop your pictures with the 31 and, compared to the APS-C, have the equivalent to 21mm - ..31mm. If this range made you happy on APS-C, the 31 alone [or DA 35 or FA35 or whichever] on FF might not as limiting as it seems.

* although I have pictures of a deer with K24 and arctic fox with 77, I'll admit there are times longer FL and larger lenses are useful :^|
Actually, you are on the point. I don't really use zoom even when I have zoom When I was using 17-50, I was either on 17mm for landscape 24mm-ish for street or 50mm for portraits. So I guess I am a prime user. I don't zoom the lens, I like to walk... even with a zoom on the camera.

When I was using 35 prime on APS-C, I felt like I need it to be wider, that is why I went for 35mm prime on FF(I tried it on FF already and I loved the focal length).

Ultimately, I believe I will get a 35mm prime, a 85mm prime and a ultra wide. I might get a cheapo tele lens like 80-320 for fun, you know, shot the moon and stuff.

The question now is either 31limited, FA35/2(thanks Blacknight) or the Sigma.

Problem with 31 limited is that Pentax might upgrade it later and I am gonna regret and sell and upgrade.
Problem with 35/2 is that I am 100% sure I will get a better 35mm prime later.
Problem with Sigma is AF and size, both will discourage me to take more shots.

Is there any other 35mm prime options?

I am not considering MF right now, I do streets and AF is pretty much required for a non-pro like me.
11-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #23

Thanks for the inputs, people, they really helps.

Actually, you are on the point. I don't really use zoom even when I have zoom When I was using 17-50, I was either on 17mm for landscape 24mm-ish for street or 50mm for portraits. So I guess I am a prime user. I don't zoom the lens, I like to walk... even with a zoom on the camera.

When I was using 35 prime on APS-C, I felt like I need it to be wider, that is why I went for 35mm prime on FF(I tried it on FF already and I loved the focal length).

Ultimately, I believe I will get a 35mm prime, a 85mm prime and a ultra wide. I might get a cheapo tele lens like 80-320 for fun, you know, shot the moon and stuff.

The question now is either 31limited, FA35/2(thanks Blacknight) or the Sigma.

Problem with 31 limited is that Pentax might upgrade it later and I am gonna regret and sell and upgrade.
Problem with 35/2 is that I am 100% sure I will get a better 35mm prime later.
Problem with Sigma is AF and size, both will discourage me to take more shots.

Is there any other 35mm prime options?

I am not considering MF right now, I do streets and AF is pretty much required for a non-pro like me.
No MF? Fair enough, but oh man, MF is amazing for street photography, especially when shooting at such an easily focused length like 35mm. @ f8+ with focus to infinity, lest you be super close to something, everything is pretty much in focus already. Even for Shallow depth of field, @ 35mm it's actually a very easy FL to focus, especially with the big bright VF of the K-1 and with the smooth ease and short throw of this Zeiss. Not to mention there is focus conformation with the K-1's centre focus also, so if you are manually focusing, it will beep and light up the focal point when you've hit the mark. Its optics are at the top of the game, and its colour and contrast are second to none! Worth some second thought for sure. I'm sure glad I did. I too once thought that I'd be always wanting AF for street, but not that I have this Zeiss, without any doubts, its my go to lens for street photography, lest I use the MF Zeiss 50mm.

Last edited by lightsource; 11-23-2016 at 06:54 PM.
11-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

As long as your eyes are healthy, I'd say anything wider than 50mm should be easy to shoot street with MF. I regular MF my 43 and 31 MF for fun, despite being able to AF with them. It just makes me feel so cool to be able to set focus with the ring before I've even brought the camera up to my eye.
11-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
No MF? Fair enough, but oh man, MF is amazing for street photography, especially when shooting at such an easily focused length like 35mm. @ f8+ with focus to infinity, lest you be super close to something, everything is pretty much in focus already. Even for Shallow depth of field, @ 35mm it's actually a very easy FL to focus, especially with the big bright VF of the K-1 and with the smooth ease and short throw of this Zeiss. Not to mention there is focus conformation with the K-1's centre focus also, so if you are manually focusing, it will beep and light up the focal point when you've hit the mark. Its optics are at the top of the game, and its colour and contrast are second to none! Worth some second thought for sure. I'm sure glad I did. I too once thought that I'd be always wanting AF for street, but not that I have this Zeiss, without any doubts, its my go to lens for street photography, lest I use the MF Zeiss 50mm.
Problem with MF is that you can't really reliably get shallow DOF snapshots.
I use to be able to use split focusing screen to do it with MF. But I was still losing shots sometimes.
11-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I use to be able to use split focusing screen to do it with MF. But I was still losing shots sometimes.
I've seen some talk of people outfitting their K-1's with split-prisms. It might be worth a forum search. Also, have you tried focus peaking?
11-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #27

In certain situations, perhaps. Its certainly not for action. I would be using my 24-70mm for sure if I were shooting the likes of a wedding (weddings, oooh, shudder....) Action shots aside, I have little to no problem in getting spot on SDOF snapshots with this 35mm in MF and I'm so glad I laid aside the very argument that you propose, a view I once too believed. It out performs every other Pentax lens I've ever used and I have used (and own) a fair few, including all the limiteds, all the new HD zooms and even old glass. At the end of the day, the K-1 is an amazing camera and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it and grow even more passionate about your photography from using it, regardless of what lenses you do choose.. Enjoy.

Peace.
11-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I've seen some talk of people outfitting their K-1's with split-prisms. It might be worth a forum search. Also, have you tried focus peaking?
Yeah, but when you are working with a shallow DOF and a moving target... No matter how good my MF assistance is, I will miss shots... I am not a pro, I got terrible eyes, and shaky hands.

I ended up getting a 31 limited after I went to the camera store and tested out the copy. It does have pixel dust, it kinda makes a scene more artistic with its distortion and vignette. Lightroom's lens correction kinda destroys the pixel dust.
When I tried it on a test chart, it was way better than what lenstip review showed. I guess lenstip got a lemon. (Lenstip and photozone review on 31 limited are miles apart).

Sigma 35 is still better in optical point of view. But I have a neck problem, heavy weight on neck is bad for me, I don't want a Camera to kill me..

Only thing I am unsatisfied about is CA. CA is just horrible, worst than the $50 16-50 pancake on my backup a6000.
11-28-2016, 06:32 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just ordered K-1, need to think about lens.
There isn't a lot of information on how these lens perform on K-1, please help.

31 Limited:
Good:
Pixel Dust
Best Bokeh (IMO)
Small, light.

Bad:
CA, Purple Fringe, those problems with non-digital lens
Pentax might release a upgraded version soon.
-----------------------
Sigma 35:
Good:
Resolution
F1.4
Good price

Bad:
Heavy and bulky for 35
AF misses targets
-----------------------
24-70 HD:
Good:
Versatile
Cheap for 24-70 with WR and SMC
Keep me off buying new lens for a while (Need 85mm prime and ultra wide later if I buy 35mm prime)
Best AF
I have the 31mm LTD. Its a great lens and I love the size. CA is not that bad for most types of photography. I have more issues with ghosting than with CA. If I were buying today and going with a prime it would be the Sigma 35mm. Overall its a better lens for me since the weight is not as important as the image. I would prefer the Sigma because of the AF, contrast, sharpness, & less CA/ghosting. Since I already own the 31mm LTD I won't be changing until Ricoh updates or releases a D-FA* 35mm.

One lens I would consider is the HD D-FA 28-105mm is really a good lens for the money. I'm not a big fan of zooms for several reasons, but for the money, the HD D-FA 28-105mm is a really good lens. The D-FA 24-70mm has not impressed me and I hope Ricoh has a D-FA* 24-70mm planned to match the excellent D-FA* 70-200mm.
11-28-2016, 06:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I have the 31mm LTD. Its a great lens and I love the size. CA is not that bad for most types of photography. I have more issues with ghosting than with CA. If I were buying today and going with a prime it would be the Sigma 35mm. Overall its a better lens for me since the weight is not as important as the image. I would prefer the Sigma because of the AF, contrast, sharpness, & less CA/ghosting. Since I already own the 31mm LTD I won't be changing until Ricoh updates or releases a D-FA* 35mm.

One lens I would consider is the HD D-FA 28-105mm is really a good lens for the money. I'm not a big fan of zooms for several reasons, but for the money, the HD D-FA 28-105mm is a really good lens. The D-FA 24-70mm has not impressed me and I hope Ricoh has a D-FA* 24-70mm planned to match the excellent D-FA* 70-200mm.
According to Asahiman, Ricoh has a number of primes in the pipeline, but from what I could gather, no D-FA* 24-70 for the time being.