Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyone using the K1's video functions?

I'd like to hear what you have to say about your experience. I just got one to complement my 645Z as a backup. My brief experience with the Z's video wasn't positive....

11-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't had much time with it, but focus peaking during recording is super helpful.
11-24-2016, 12:04 AM   #3
CDW
Site Supporter

As great as both the Z and K1 are for still photography, and I also own both, their video qualities are distinctly mediocre. Both SONY and Panasonic produce some affordable cameras in various sensor sizes that are far more capable in terms of video capabilities at 1080 and 4K resolutions. I've been using a Panasonic GH4 for several years and I have no complaints.
11-24-2016, 05:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
As great as both the Z and K1 are for still photography, and I also own both, their video qualities are distinctly mediocre. Both SONY and Panasonic produce some affordable cameras in various sensor sizes that are far more capable in terms of video capabilities at 1080 and 4K resolutions. I've been using a Panasonic GH4 for several years and I have no complaints.
CDW, I have been reading your posts with great interest, since you have the same setup I now have with the Z and the K1. I know the Z's video is sadly problematic---case in point, I had severe exposure problems that I couldn't seem to adjust. But I must be doing something wrong, it can't be that bad or it would have been mentioned in one of the many reviews. I'm not going to purchase a camera for video, unless it's some sort of giveaway or absurd used deal. I had the A7R and never used the video feature once. Ironically at work I now have a need, and it would be very helpful to be able to use one of my Pentax's instead of the shared Canon's (for reasons I won't go into...).

So, have you tried the Pentax's at all?

11-24-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I} uysertrtert rtha vi]deo oa llama ad i]rt looKW ertrtrt rtha vi]deo wI]RTH MUY CAO Wp[oi]rt ad shorto P{aasoi]c lc6 owHARTEVERT
11-25-2016, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
CDW
Site Supporter

Yes I have used the video of the K5, K3, K1 and 645Z on a number of occasions. I used my K5, along with a K-01 for some clips I shot in Brazil at Lencois Maranhenses and Chapada Diamantina. This was several years back and my preferred video camera on that trip was a Canon m41 camcorder. In spite of shooting in 1080i format, it killed the Pentax video.

If you have a controlled situation, audio and lighting, you can achieve acceptable video that is a notch above 480P standard definition. But when you compare it against SONY or Panasonic 1080P there is no comparison in terms of resolution or the ability to effectively apply post color grading. If you had used your A7r for video, you would know precisely what I'm speaking of.

To be fair, in my personal opinion, Nikon or Canon DSLR video does not compare with SONY or Panasonic video either but their failings aren't as great as Pentax. OTOH, Pentax is really hard to beat as a landscape camera in APSc and FF categories, which is why I prefer the K1 and 645.
11-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Yes I have used the video of the K5, K3, K1 and 645Z on a number of occasions. I used my K5, along with a K-01 for some clips I shot in Brazil at Lencois Maranhenses and Chapada Diamantina. This was several years back and my preferred video camera on that trip was a Canon m41 camcorder. In spite of shooting in 1080i format, it killed the Pentax video.

If you have a controlled situation, audio and lighting, you can achieve acceptable video that is a notch above 480P standard definition. But when you compare it against SONY or Panasonic 1080P there is no comparison in terms of resolution or the ability to effectively apply post color grading. If you had used your A7r for video, you would know precisely what I'm speaking of.

To be fair, in my personal opinion, Nikon or Canon DSLR video does not compare with SONY or Panasonic video either but their failings aren't as great as Pentax. OTOH, Pentax is really hard to beat as a landscape camera in APSc and FF categories, which is why I prefer the K1 and 645.
OK, thanks. I was afraid of that. Video is not my main concern with these cameras, obviously, Just incredibly ironic that I sold my A7R several weekends ago to finance the K1 at a moment just before it became clear that a work project was crashing due to several factors, one of which is a significant gear crunch (a project that didn't get the support it needed when it needed it, basically, and the delays in acquiring the needed elements through a cumbersome procurement process...). That's why I am throwing my gear into the mix. frustrating....oh well, not for want of trying....

12-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
OK, thanks. I was afraid of that. Video is not my main concern with these cameras, obviously, Just incredibly ironic that I sold my A7R several weekends ago to finance the K1 at a moment just before it became clear that a work project was crashing due to several factors, one of which is a significant gear crunch (a project that didn't get the support it needed when it needed it, basically, and the delays in acquiring the needed elements through a cumbersome procurement process...). That's why I am throwing my gear into the mix. frustrating....oh well, not for want of trying....

Can you rent something to do the job?

Ive used K1 video once, I turned it on and did a 3 second video.Only wanted to see if that feature worked....for real video I use Panasonic mainly.
12-03-2016, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I'd like to hear what you have to say about your experience. I just got one to complement my 645Z as a backup. My brief experience with the Z's video wasn't positive....
The K-1 can shoot Video?
12-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #10

Biggest hassle for video on the K1 (disregarding file quality) is that you can't digitally zoom while you're recording to use the manual focus effectively. That's my 2 cents
12-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am now shooting video...

side by side with a 5Dmk4. Will give a report next week.
12-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haven't tried it yet. Taking photos is more like what i do...
12-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, just as an update...

The end quality seems on a par with the Canon. I'll need to look more closely, but at 1080 for either it's not such a horse race....

To use....well, the Canon wins hands down. The MkIV has a touch screen that allows you to change aperture, speed (which you don't want to do...) and most importantly, focus point. Not a big fan of Canon cameras, but this is brilliant.