Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyone using 645 lenses on the K1?

Per my other post about video, looking for wisdom from those who have used them. I only have 3 lenses for my K1 (2 of which are the same FL), but have 11 for my Z, and I've got the adapter.

11-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you've got the adapter, you've got the lenses - where are the pictures?

get out there and shoot!
11-24-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Per my other post about video, looking for wisdom from those who have used them. I only have 3 lenses for my K1 (2 of which are the same FL), but have 11 for my Z, and I've got the adapter.
Hi texandrews,

I do have a few 645 lenses but I have not tried them on my K1. I mostly tried the 645 lenses on my K3. The A120 macro is perhaps the best macro lens I have shot with. The FA 45-85 and the FA 200 did well too. One drawback is serious CA when the lenses are shot wide open. Sharpness wise the 645 lenses are as good as any 35mm Pentax lens I have. The reason I have not tried them on the K1 (besides being lazy) is that I have a good selection of FF lenses for the K1 and did not have a need to use any of the 645 lenses.

I would be curious to know what you find when you try your lenses.

One of the things I remember being mentioned about the K1 before it was released was the possibility of the use on FA 645 lenses on the K1 via an adapter that made it fully compatible. This little fact has been completely lost and never mentioned after the K1 release. I am wondering if Pentax will release the adapter with the next FF body or perhaps even sooner.
11-24-2016, 02:27 AM   #4

With a MIREX 645-K Adapter (new version) it is possible to use most of the Pentax 645 Lenses on the K1 as tilt and shift lenses.
Exception: a) the old version of the adapter does fit only to K10/K5/K3 but not to K1
b) 645 DA Lenses doesn't work

11-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OttoE Quote
With a MIREX 645-K Adapter (new version) it is possible to use most of the Pentax 645 Lenses on the K1 as tilt and shift lenses.
Exception: a) the old version of the adapter does fit only to K10/K5/K3 but not to K1
b) 645 DA Lenses doesn't work
Thanks, OttoE!

---------- Post added 11-24-16 at 09:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Hi texandrews,

I do have a few 645 lenses but I have not tried them on my K1. I mostly tried the 645 lenses on my K3. The A120 macro is perhaps the best macro lens I have shot with. The FA 45-85 and the FA 200 did well too. One drawback is serious CA when the lenses are shot wide open. Sharpness wise the 645 lenses are as good as any 35mm Pentax lens I have. The reason I have not tried them on the K1 (besides being lazy) is that I have a good selection of FF lenses for the K1 and did not have a need to use any of the 645 lenses.

I would be curious to know what you find when you try your lenses.

One of the things I remember being mentioned about the K1 before it was released was the possibility of the use on FA 645 lenses on the K1 via an adapter that made it fully compatible. This little fact has been completely lost and never mentioned after the K1 release. I am wondering if Pentax will release the adapter with the next FF body or perhaps even sooner.
Hi, Boris! Yes, I have seen the CA on the 120 wide open on my Z.....pretty bad :-/
Just shot a series of orchids for work with my Z (long story....) after our time lapses using the museum's gear were failing (more long story....had nothing to do with the gear). Normally I never shoot wide open, but in this case I wanted to try to get some shots to put together into a phased slide show with fades using selective focus, and so shot wide open and close to get the shallowest DOF. Kinda shocked at the CA, not something I remember people mentioning about that lens so much---usually comments are about how brilliant it is.

But thanks for the comments about using the lenses on your other cameras. Hope to be able to run some tests today and tomorrow. Work has been so busy, with days up to 11 hours and then a 4+ hour commute on top of that. Hunting on Saturday I hope....if it's like last year I'll switch to shooting with the cameras :-[
11-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks, OttoE!

---------- Post added 11-24-16 at 09:03 AM ----------

Hi, Boris! Yes, I have seen the CA on the 120 wide open on my Z.....pretty bad :-/
Just shot a series of orchids for work with my Z (long story....) after our time lapses using the museum's gear were failing (more long story....had nothing to do with the gear). Normally I never shoot wide open, but in this case I wanted to try to get some shots to put together into a phased slide show with fades using selective focus, and so shot wide open and close to get the shallowest DOF. Kinda shocked at the CA, not something I remember people mentioning about that lens so much---usually comments are about how brilliant it is.

But thanks for the comments about using the lenses on your other cameras. Hope to be able to run some tests today and tomorrow. Work has been so busy, with days up to 11 hours and then a 4+ hour commute on top of that. Hunting on Saturday I hope....if it's like last year I'll switch to shooting with the cameras :-[
Hi Tex, Luckily CA is an easy fix in post. BTW, I shot the K3 with the A120 wide open. One thing I noticed was that when the focus was exactly on the plain, I saw no CA. But as soon as it got beyond the focus plain, I started seeing CA. I am not sure if that makes sense. Another thing I have noticed with some legacy lenses (mostly cheapo ones) is that CA persists even when you stop down to f8 or f11!

I was hoping to get the Z. That is why I was holding on to the 645 lenses. Right before the K1 release, I saw a a Pentax slide presentation that said the K1 will be able to use 645 FA lenses with full automation via an adapter. I really got excited. There was also a mention of using the shift capability of the K1 in conjunction with the 645 lenses to give us 3x4 format files identical in size to the Z. I went digging into the K1 specs and I saw a reference to a file size which corresponds to the 645Z files sizes! I do not know what happened to all that stuff. Perhaps, Pentax has a few surprises coming up for us. For now, I am going to hang on to the 645 lenses.