Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
I see you also have the Sigma 85 1.4 as well... I can't wait to get my hands on one of those.
I love that lens.. at the couple sessions thats my favorite lens.. I work with my girlfriends ( both as photographers ) most of the time she carry the DFA 24-70 .. and i switch between the 70-200 with the K1.. and the 31mm with the K3 ( for something wider ).. but when is time to shoot the couple session i dont change the 85mm. sharp sharp. and the bokeh is lovely...

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
My biggest complaint is the buffer. Fills up too fast.
This does not happen to me normally.. perhaps once or twice.. but this is because I dont shoot that many shoots.. normally i do 2 or 3 frames.. then quick refocus.. then another 2 or 3.. so between those the buffer cleans up..

04-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
This does not happen to me normally.. perhaps once or twice.. but this is because I dont shoot that many shoots.. normally i do 2 or 3 frames.. then quick refocus.. then another 2 or 3.. so between those the buffer cleans up..
I usually shoot a first look with the bride and groom and sometimes the father and the bride have a similar sequence where he sees her just before everything starts. I usually shoot a pretty long sequence of them approaching each other and the embrace. I had it fill at a wedding this weekend and I had to switch to my A7II while the buffer cleared.
04-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I usually shoot a first look with the bride and groom and sometimes the father and the bride have a similar sequence where he sees her just before everything starts. I usually shoot a pretty long sequence of them approaching each other and the embrace. I had it fill at a wedding this weekend and I had to switch to my A7II while the buffer cleared.
mmmm yes.. in that situation the buffer is a problem... Have you try with other SD cards?
04-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
mmmm yes.. in that situation the buffer is a problem... Have you try with other SD cards?
I have about a dozen SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB cards and a couple of Lexar Professional 64GB (600x). I don't see any difference in the speeds.

04-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #80
Pentaxian

My biggest complaint is the buffer. Fills up too fast.
Are you writing to both card slots at the same time?
I've heard that this slows down buffer clearing.

How many shots are you getting in, before you hit the buffer limit?
04-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Are you writing to both card slots at the same time?
I've heard that this slows down buffer clearing.

How many shots are you getting in, before you hit the buffer limit?
I write DNG to both cards as a back-up. My last wedding was 800+ RAW files (some DNG K-1 and some A7II RAW).

I have not counted. I shoot until one fills and then switch to the other camera.
04-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #82
Pentaxian

I write DNG to both cards as a back-up.
I understand you'd be getting more shots before the buffer fills, if you were to write to one card only.

I haven't done the comparison myself but in another thread posters were making claims to that effect.

04-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #83
Veteran Member

I understand you'd be getting more shots before the buffer fills, if you were to write to one card only.

I haven't done the comparison myself but in another thread posters were making claims to that effect.
Yes, but that is the purpose of having 2 card slots.
04-26-2017, 11:48 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep right, but that buffer issue is like negating this feature to me.
I've got 2 types of shooting where I use 2Cards backup, studio portrait and Live events, that's the gigs where I've got a client, and for live Events I usually revert back to 1 Card RAW because I Miss too many shots.
04-27-2017, 06:25 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Yep right, but that buffer issue is like negating this feature to me.
I've got 2 types of shooting where I use 2Cards backup, studio portrait and Live events, that's the gigs where I've got a client, and for live Events I usually revert back to 1 Card RAW because I Miss too many shots.
I have had the issue with other cameras. I just carry a second camera and when the buffer fills I switch. The A7II is small and light. The IQ with the Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 is excellent. Its a great little back-up camera. The new A9 with its 200+ RAW file buffer looks very tempting. If I could get just the A9 in the K-1 body I would be happy.
04-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #86
Pentaxian

It is one of the purposes.

Truth to be told, though, how many times did you ever need to use the backup card?

I never ever had a card problem (I use SanDisk) and never used the backup double-write option even though I shoot at a pace were the slow down wouldn't bother me. I just don't need it.

I know that weddings are extra special and one will take any extra insurance available but it may even be better to use smaller cards, write to them sequentially and change them frequently.
04-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #87
Veteran Member

It is one of the purposes.

Truth to be told, though, how many times did you ever need to use the backup card?

I never ever had a card problem (I use SanDisk) and never used the backup double-write option even though I shoot at a pace were the slow down wouldn't bother me. I just don't need it.

I know that weddings are extra special and one will take any extra insurance available but it may even be better to use smaller cards, write to them sequentially and change them frequently.
I have never had a card failure, but I know one wedding photographer who had two cards go bad or his Fiji X-T1 corrupted it. He had 2 go bad in his Fuji and he thinks it might have been an issue with the camera, not the card. Not sure why.

I have a bunch of 64GB cards. I actually shoot the bride getting ready on 1 card, the wedding on 1 card and the reception on 1 card. Well, with back-ups that is 6 cards that I use in one camera and I usually only use on 64GB card in my Sony A7II.
04-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #88
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have never had a card failure, but I know one wedding photographer who had two cards go bad or his Fiji X-T1 corrupted it. He had 2 go bad in his Fuji and he thinks it might have been an issue with the camera, not the card. Not sure why.

I have a bunch of 64GB cards. I actually shoot the bride getting ready on 1 card, the wedding on 1 card and the reception on 1 card. Well, with back-ups that is 6 cards that I use in one camera and I usually only use on 64GB card in my Sony A7II.
I've had problems with my faster and larger capacity cards and never on my slower ones (16GB 30Gbs and under) cards.

An incident long ago where I lost my CF card with all my Beijing Palace photos made me distribute my risks, so I've been using more cards rather than 1 big one from then onwards.
I only shoot RAW nowadays, and don't use JPG+RAW (since JPG is a quick "Select all > process" on the PDCU)
04-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some pentaxians are "overcarded"...meaning they can use slower cards in some of the cameras....The K1 only needs 40mbs max.
04-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Some pentaxians are "overcarded"...meaning they can use slower cards in some of the cameras....The K1 only needs 40mbs max.
Yes, but its not just about the write speed. I download 900 pictures after some events and the read speed and using a USB-3.0 reader make that a little faster. I also assumed that Ricoh was going to support faster cards when I was buying some on sale. I sure have known Ricoh would stay 4-5 years behind the rest of the industry and bought slower cards.