Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2016, 10:46 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimBrennan Quote

I would just get a video camera, and extract frames you think make a nice picture.

Video looks nice with motion blur, photos not so much.

The video trick can work, if the 8~9MP final image is acceptable in size for printing. Often it will be. But, you have to set the camera up with a fast shutter speed if you're after sharp images in every frame. The resulting video file will look very staccato as a result, so it really is one or the other.

11-26-2016, 03:58 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I very much doubt that video image extraction will take the place of real still photography shooting and technique. The issue isn't the megapixels available, it is the quality of the image (these are at best jpegs with the dynamic range,etc associated with jpegs) and the process by which you would gain the images -- searching through 30 frames per second footage for the perfect image would take a lot more time than just setting up shots and shooting four or five frame bursts and then moving to another pose. As richandfleur says, video is often shot with a shutter speed of 1/60-1/100 second which may be too slow for standard still photography as well.

Certainly it can work for snap shots in settings where there aren't any true still shots, but I just don't see it taking the place of still photography.
11-26-2016, 05:53 AM   #48

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
What are you Phase Detect AF settings in the first menu?
Thanks...
And What's yours AF settings man? In every submenu in AF settings I choose focus priority, and hold AF tracking - OFF. In dynamic scenes i use AF-C with all points (sel4). For static photoshoot and dark rooms (church) use AF-S with selected 1 point. In MF use focus peaking on and Live View.
11-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimBrennan Quote
mid to late 70's

I kept my stereo, they don't make them like this anymore. You can't compare the dynamic analogue range of reel to reel.

so yeah, I think the post is funny. OMG I shot it with a phone, it didn't focus. Oh wait, could be camera movement LOL
Sweet system, I have a similar set up in my cave. The new systems can't compare in sound quality IMHO. Also they just look cool.

11-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by botzi Quote
Thanks...
And What's yours AF settings man? In every submenu in AF settings I choose focus priority, and hold AF tracking - OFF. In dynamic scenes i use AF-C with all points (sel4). For static photoshoot and dark rooms (church) use AF-S with selected 1 point. In MF use focus peaking on and Live View.
Just as you have them. All submenu option is set to focus priority and AF Hold set to OFF. It seem to me that AF slows down with the 33 point system. The 9 point still seems to be quick, but I mainly use the center AF point unless I'm shooting at F/5.6 of smaller. I find the AF to be faster than my old Canon 5D or Contax 645. I don't use live view very often.

Last edited by Winder; 11-28-2016 at 06:39 PM.
11-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #51

Thanks, I will try with 9 points mode. I almost always use center three point, because my aperture is set to 1.8 to 2.8 max , this points is fast enough and accurate. Too rarely I use F4 or smaller.
11-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
Funny that you mention the flash ocassionally dumping all its power for no apparent reason. Happens to me, too, with a K5 and a Metz 58 AF-1 flash, when bouncing the flash. Sometimes it happens on 2-3 shots in a row. Really annoying.

JimBrennan, what do you compare the sound of reel-to-reel with? And where do you buy records for that thing? It looks beautiful, and well kept, too.

This, to me, is the most serious problem with the Pentax system for professional work. The cameras are workhorses -- maybe not lightning quick AF, but generally reliable and suitable for all but the most demanding high-speed situations. The lenses cover most needs, and there are some real gems (Limiteds.) But Pentax flashes, or the flash system itself, is not particularly reliable.

When shooting any event, including weddings, I don't use any Pentax flashes. I use Metz CT-4 potato mashers, and Nikon SB speedlights, set to use the Auto Thyristor and manually controlled from the back of the flash. This gives me bullet proof flash exposures, with no "pre-flash" to make people blink. I never get a blown shot. (I would use my Pentax flashes in this manner, but the newer flashes reset themselves after a while, and I lose Auto settings that I dialed in.) I can also easily switch to off-camera wireless by using cheap wireless triggers.

11-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Don't forget the continuous AF requirements, if you want to shoot video and extract frames for stills. It has to be tracking if you want the likes of F2.8 or below, with a tiny depth of field, to continuously fix on the subject as they move down the aisle etc. This extract from video belief cracks me up. Presently Pentax can't track very reliably in stills, let alone via video. Maybe if you just film them posing static, as they would for a stills portrait?

Also with video you shutter speed is often fixed, so you'll need ND filters if wanting to shoot in daylight at that aperture.

So no, I don't see video replacing stills any time soon. And I liked his first hand review of the K-1 experience.
11-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opianstate Quote
To answer everyone's questions - yes, I had the profile corrections and noise reduction turned OFF, and I've never used the filters in this camera. I did a good amount of research in what could possibly slow the camera down in the months prior of owning it, and set them both up as such. And yes, both bodies had the firmware update. I was using only Lexar and SanDisk UHS-1 64GB memory cards and shooting in RAW (DNG).

To the user who commented about relying on AF....that's horses for courses, I guess. I see autofocus performance not as a crutch but a necessity. There are situations where the action pauses, and you can really dial things in, but there are also beautiful candids that require good AF to capture on the fly. If you'd like I can post a full resolution photo of the brides' eyes - they are both most definitely in focus - I checked (because in another, they aren't) but these files are downsized to work on the forums. It's hard to judge focus on a photo that's 1200px on the long end!

But to some degree, I do agree with those who said I shouldn't have counted on the K-1 for AF performance. I just was surprised - I'd used it for half a dozen professional shoots in the months prior and it had held up great. Not sure what I was doing wrong on the fly.

I hope that you all know I posted this not to bash Pentax or the K-1, it's a great camera. I simply wanted to provide some value to you all on how it performed in this particular situation. No discourse necessary here!
You wrote a wonderful review of your experience and I thank you very much for that.
11-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #55

I just shot a wedding with a Pentax M-50mm 1.7 and an SMC 135mm and it went absolutely fantastic.
11-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nick52 Quote
M-50mm 1.7 and an SMC 135mm
Great little lenses!
12-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #57
Veteran Member

K-1 with FA 31 Limited My favorite weddings combination...
Love those shots. Who is the photographer in the background of the last one?

---------- Post added 12-02-16 at 02:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
This, to me, is the most serious problem with the Pentax system for professional work. The cameras are workhorses -- maybe not lightning quick AF, but generally reliable and suitable for all but the most demanding high-speed situations. The lenses cover most needs, and there are some real gems (Limiteds.) But Pentax flashes, or the flash system itself, is not particularly reliable.

When shooting any event, including weddings, I don't use any Pentax flashes. I use Metz CT-4 potato mashers, and Nikon SB speedlights, set to use the Auto Thyristor and manually controlled from the back of the flash. This gives me bullet proof flash exposures, with no "pre-flash" to make people blink. I never get a blown shot. (I would use my Pentax flashes in this manner, but the newer flashes reset themselves after a while, and I lose Auto settings that I dialed in.) I can also easily switch to off-camera wireless by using cheap wireless triggers.
I see very few event photographers using the camera maker flashes these days. I don't use them for anything other than shooting my family at a holiday gathering. The higher powered quantum-type speedlights with reflectors seem the most popular.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-02-2016 at 02:15 PM.
12-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Love those shots. Who is the photographer in the background of the last one?
Thanks, my colleague, he shoot with Nikon.
12-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Thanks, my colleague, he shoot with Nikon.
Also enjoy seeing Bulgarian folk dances (which I have learned here and photographed in recreational dance groups) in the setting for which they were intended.
12-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scottab Quote
Sweet system, I have a similar set up in my cave. The new systems can't compare in sound quality IMHO. Also they just look cool.
Off topic but very, very curious. Where do I find one of these rigs?