Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2017, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Truth to be told, though, how many times did you ever need to use the backup card?
That is true.. BUT.. thats a risk that you can not take at Wedding events.. that is a one life time event ( not always ofcourse haha ).. but at least thats the illussion that the bride and groom have.. To get home and find out that for some reason the pictures were currupted at 1 card is the worst nightmare for a wedding photographer.. you have to call the client and tell them.. " Hey mr & misses XX, all ( or a big part of) your wedding pictures are gone.. im so sorry.. ".. thats something that can not happen even if you are writting with smaller cards you cant lose any part of the event.. the risk have to be almost none for weddings so using backups ( at least JPGs ) is a most. In my case I always shoot with backup, and on my way home im doint another on-the-fly backup... so by the time I get home.. i have the wedding in 3 places .. 2 SDs and 1 external HD, then i copy the files to the computer HD.. so pictures are going to be in 4 places, at least until i make sure that every file is OK.. then i delete the SDs and stick with the computer HD and the external HD ultil the pictures are delivered and client is happy with it.

05-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
My biggest complaint is the buffer. Fills up too fast. Shooting the bride walking up behind the groom for the first look and about half way through the first look I had to switch to my other camera because the buffer was full (medium speed). I seem to hit my buffer limit 2 times at every wedding. There are usually only 2 or 3 times during a wedding that things are moving fast enough that its a problem, but its still a problem.
Absolutely agreed 100%.

The next Full Frame DSLR(MILC?-Hybrid?) needs a bigger and faster buffer.

Faster burst rate would be nice, but i could live with 5 frames per second, if the autofocus would just hit the target the photographer wants to aim at, with every frame.

Better faster cards(-standard) like XQD, CFast 2.0 or at least UHS-III SD-Cards are needed.
There is no discussion about that, but I doubt that we see the change that is needed here. So long.
05-08-2017, 03:40 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
That is true.. BUT.. thats a risk that you can not take at Wedding events.. that is a one life time event ( not always ofcourse haha ).. but at least thats the illussion that the bride and groom have.. To get home and find out that for some reason the pictures were currupted at 1 card is the worst nightmare for a wedding photographer.. you have to call the client and tell them.. " Hey mr & misses XX, all ( or a big part of) your wedding pictures are gone.. im so sorry.. ".. thats something that can not happen even if you are writting with smaller cards you cant lose any part of the event.. the risk have to be almost none for weddings so using backups ( at least JPGs ) is a most. In my case I always shoot with backup, and on my way home im doint another on-the-fly backup... so by the time I get home.. i have the wedding in 3 places .. 2 SDs and 1 external HD, then i copy the files to the computer HD.. so pictures are going to be in 4 places, at least until i make sure that every file is OK.. then i delete the SDs and stick with the computer HD and the external HD ultil the pictures are delivered and client is happy with it.
Yes. Wedding photography is the sort of thing where you can't go back and reshoot if something happens to your images. If a card would fail, hopefully you have a second card backing up the images, a card from your other camera and your second shooter's cards as well. I would wonder if setting the second card just to write jpeg would save some buffer space and be adequate since this is just a back up situation. It seems as though that would be a little faster.
05-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see why not ! Back in the days wedding photographers did not have those added royalties such as AF, buffers and FPS. Not only did they make a living, some of the thrived. These days anybody can purchase a DSLR and with minimum training shoot an entire wedding. Of course this would be impossible without AF, Buffers and FPS. The K-1 seems fast enough to me but it also depends on the lens. Make sure to bring with you a fast lens and one that has quick AF. If you need to capture some of the action at the reception, bring another camera along such as the K3 or K-5 II...

05-22-2017, 03:21 AM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I don't see why not ! Back in the days wedding photographers did not have those added royalties such as AF, buffers and FPS. Not only did they make a living, some of the thrived. These days anybody can purchase a DSLR and with minimum training shoot an entire wedding. Of course this would be impossible without AF, Buffers and FPS. The K-1 seems fast enough to me but it also depends on the lens. Make sure to bring with you a fast lens and one that has quick AF. If you need to capture some of the action at the reception, bring another camera along such as the K3 or K-5 II...
Obviously as has been demonstrated here you can take very good wedding pictures with the K1 at a wedding. I have a K1, but would I choose it as the basis for a professional system to do weddings on? No in a word, I'm not a wedding shooter these days, but once I was doing weddings every week on film, true in those days you picked your moment before wasting a shot, that was then. Things have changed and is the Pentax K1 best at dealing with today's expectations at a wedding, I don't think so.
The buffer would be a killer, you don't need to be using a motor drive to fill it, once you hit it unless there is a period of downtime you would struggle to catch up, nothing more annoying than a camera not taking a picture when you press the button. I would imagine somewhat embarrassing at a wedding as you are having to hold proceedings up for what would feel like an eternity. you might of just fired off a few cuties of children being children, then need to get the B&G running a confetti gauntlet to the Carriage, you could miss the entire event waiting for the buffer.
Then of course you have professional flash systems, high speed sync like the Profoto, if I was serious about being a wedding shooter that would need to be on the list if not now then in the future and the Pentax just isn't the best at using the system to it's full potential, great camera but not the best if starting from scratch at building a wedding system.IMHO
05-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noeyedear Quote
great camera but not the best if starting from scratch at building a wedding system.IMHO
It also depends of the shooting style.. ofcourse for some people the way that K1 behaves is not the ideal for how they shoot, and thats ok.. but for some other K1 is a really good camera to have, for example i dont hit the buffer at all ( but thats because i dont do that many FPS ).. the one thing that i struggle with the K1 is when focusing at dim light the camera takes a good time to do it and doesnt trigger the assit lamp until is TOO dark, i wish that it could be triggered sooner so the foculs can be faster.
05-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Obviously as has been demonstrated here you can take very good wedding pictures with the K1 at a wedding. I have a K1, but would I choose it as the basis for a professional system to do weddings on? No in a word, I'm not a wedding shooter these days, but once I was doing weddings every week on film, true in those days you picked your moment before wasting a shot, that was then. Things have changed and is the Pentax K1 best at dealing with today's expectations at a wedding, I don't think so.
The buffer would be a killer, you don't need to be using a motor drive to fill it, once you hit it unless there is a period of downtime you would struggle to catch up, nothing more annoying than a camera not taking a picture when you press the button. I would imagine somewhat embarrassing at a wedding as you are having to hold proceedings up for what would feel like an eternity. you might of just fired off a few cuties of children being children, then need to get the B&G running a confetti gauntlet to the Carriage, you could miss the entire event waiting for the buffer.
Then of course you have professional flash systems, high speed sync like the Profoto, if I was serious about being a wedding shooter that would need to be on the list if not now then in the future and the Pentax just isn't the best at using the system to it's full potential, great camera but not the best if starting from scratch at building a wedding system.IMHO
It's a wedding not a horse-race !

05-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #98

Yea u dont shoot any horse race or any kind of race stuff it s just a wedding and im absolutely sure pentax dfa 24-70 and 70-200* will more than enough for this kinda shoot...
05-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #99

...risk that you can not take at Wedding events.. that is a one life time event ( not always ofcourse haha ).. but at least thats the illussion that the bride and groom have...
There are funny or meaningful moments that are only there for the blink of an eye, and then you think:
"Why am I not at the horseraces holding my AF mechanism against 2-3m long and tall animals. those humans, there are too much ... cant focus ... arhg!" - "Those humans! Cant they just be horses?"-Right ... a horse race is a whole different story.

This is the reason, I plead or better crave for "double PLM motors" in every new FF lens and better AF-algorithms.. THX

---------- Post added 05-23-17 at 01:56 PM ----------

and of course I still vote for more and better Electronic-Shutter features,
that comes in nice and unobtrusive when in church and bride and groom give their vow.
(no clackin like at a press event)
05-24-2017, 01:53 AM   #100

Put it this way I'm shooting a friends daughters wedding in a months time, I have a 1D X and a K1, guess which one I'll be using......the 1D X, despite I like the look of the K1 files better. I just know the 1D X is alround a better tool for the job. Yes I could shoot it on the K1, I could shoot it on my phone, but given the choice I would pick a camera that takes a picture every time I want to take it, not when the camera decides I can take it.
K1 great camera, the quality of images and build are second to nothing else 35mm style, just somethings it's better suited for than others.
05-29-2017, 05:09 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put it this way I'm shooting a friends daughters wedding in a months time, I have a 1D X and a K1, guess which one I'll be using......the 1D X, despite I like the look of the K1 files better. I just know the 1D X is alround a better tool for the job. Yes I could shoot it on the K1, I could shoot it on my phone, but given the choice I would pick a camera that takes a picture every time I want to take it, not when the camera decides I can take it.
K1 great camera, the quality of images and build are second to nothing else 35mm style, just somethings it's better suited for than others.
Did you ever try shooting a wedding with a K1 ?
06-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #102
Forum Member

Anyone tried the double card feature where it stores RAW on one card and JPEG on the other? Does that still have the buffer slow down issues? I'm thinking about upgrading my wife's K-5 to a K-1 for wedding and family portraiture, but this thread has me a little gun shy. One of the features she really likes is the dual card slot since she's second shot for a wedding where the main shooter lost the entire wedding ceremony on her 5D mk III due to the camera corrupting the card. If this isn't a usable feature and AF is as slow or unreliable as it seems, I might just get her a K-3 or move away from Pentax altogether unfortunately.
06-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TriCon Quote
If this isn't a usable feature and AF is as slow or unreliable as it seems
AF is reliable.. VERY reliable.. what we are saying is that at dim light the camera try to fucus by it self instead of using the Assist Lamp.. so it takes an extra second to do that.. but once is lock the focus is great.. I do shoot RAW on slot 1 and JPG on slot 2.. and buffer gets fill too.. but i think it also depends of your wife shooting style.. if she likes to keep her finger press for a long time that might be a problem.. but if not, she will be great with K1.
06-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #104
Forum Member

AF is reliable.. VERY reliable.. what we are saying is that at dim light the camera try to fucus by it self instead of using the Assist Lamp.. so it takes an extra second to do that.. but once is lock the focus is great.. I do shoot RAW on slot 1 and JPG on slot 2.. and buffer gets fill too.. but i think it also depends of your wife shooting style.. if she likes to keep her finger press for a long time that might be a problem.. but if not, she will be great with K1.
Yea she's not a spray and pray type shooter. But I know one of her biggest struggles with the K-5 is low light focus hunting on almost all of her lenses. Weddings can be very low light afairs, she wants to trust that she can lift, point, and shoot with the camera and not have to wait 3-4 seconds for it to hunt around. She's started manually focusing, but it missing some shots. I'm waffling between ditching Pentax altogether and going with a 5D mk III or IV, or grabbing a K-1. I really want to stick with Pentax, but not sure at this point.

I wish there was some magical converter so every lens would work on any body. Can you imagine how much money you could make with that jam? lol.
06-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TriCon Quote
K-5 is low light focus hunting on almost all of her lenses
ohhh but K5 cant be compared with K1.. K1 is much much much better than K5 in every aspect.. Low light focusing with the K5 is a pain in the ass.. K1 is very good.. not THAT fast.. but very good.. when the camera triggers the assist lamp is very very fast.

Last edited by kooks; 06-29-2017 at 01:27 AM.