Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2016, 09:57 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope my mileage differs - I just pulled the trigger on a K-1 in little old NZ!

I agree with the others, in that once you get to used to new button layout, it will make a big difference to your experience. But then again sometimes a camera just doesn't "click" with a photographer, so go with your gut feeling!

12-09-2016, 03:46 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been pretty pleased with my K-1. The button placement is different from past cameras -- not a bunch, but enough that it takes getting used to. I wouldn't say it is a problem, but it definitely took a week or two before I stopped hitting the wrong buttons. The top dial I mainly use to set my iso, meaning that I don't use it a bunch. I think the biggest thing is that it allows for quick access to certain functions that would take a little menu diving to get to otherwise. Whether or not that will be useful to a photographer depends on the photographer, I suppose.

Your bokeh should be completely the same as what you get with your LX, not? Shooting at 35mm, even at f2, you won't likely get as much blur of the background as you would using a longer lens. I wouldn't think that it would be a surprise the results you get, since you are used to shooting film...
12-09-2016, 03:49 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
rent one for awhile to see whether it grows on you
I've rented a K-1 twice, I am very happy with it each time. I encourage everyone to rent any expensive gear they are interested in before committing a large sum of money.

As for the OP, give it some time, and use the K-1 as much as possible, with as many lenses as you won, in different situations, you will gain familiarity with the camera, and a new appreciation for your old glass
12-09-2016, 04:47 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Understand what you are saying. A few controls on the K1 don't quite agree with my hands. I could not understand the relocation of LV and preview buttons, but I guess they thought LV would be more convenient operated by the left thumb instead of the right, but how many previous Pentax DSLR's had preview to the left of the viewfinder? The K1 is not perfect, but I think it is a significant improvement over my K3 in several features. The tilt-screen is a feature I've wanted for a very long time.

I had a Nikon D7100 for about a year, with couple of lenses, but it never felt quite right in my hands, and I was constantly forced to think carefully and read the label on certain buttons, which one to press to do what I wanted. I eventually sold it and the lenses to another member of my local photo club, in part because of upgrading from K3 to K1.

12-09-2016, 05:20 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I love my K-1 and although coming from the K-5/5IIs button lay out I also made me press wrong buttons sometimes, I find the new button arrangement more convinient now that I used to it.

The preview button that can be pressed with my right hand only is more useful (for my liking) than the LV button which I mostly use when manual focussing which means that I have both hands holding my camera and quite often on a tripod too...

What I don't like though (but it seems that it bothers only me - I haven't seen any complaints about it) is the placement and the design of the rear AF button! On my K-5 it was bigger, placed on a special raised housing and with better feeling when you pushed it. At the K-1 you cannot easily find it without taking your eye from the viewfinder (not raised and with other 2 buttons in the same area) and I don't like the feeling when its pressed... It's the only implementation that doesn't give me a pro feeling! I tried the D810 and I feel it is better in this aspect (rear AF button placement-feeling).

As for the third wheel on the top I find it useful and usually set it for controlling the ISO (when in manual mode), the crop factor (when shooting action and fast subjects) and the SR when I play with the shutter speed a lot and don't want to take my eye from the viewfinder... (otherwise my menu button serves for this - its left on SR)

Last edited by redpit; 12-09-2016 at 05:25 AM.
12-09-2016, 06:07 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
What I don't like though (but it seems that it bothers only me - I haven't seen any complaints about it) is the placement and the design of the rear AF button! On my K-5 it was bigger, placed on a special raised housing and with better feeling when you pushed it. At the K-1 you cannot easily find it without taking your eye from the viewfinder (not raised and with other 2 buttons in the same area) and I don't like the feeling when its pressed... It's the only implementation that doesn't give me a pro feeling! I tried the D810 and I feel it is better in this aspect (rear AF button placement-feeling).
I basically agree about the AF button. For intuitive use, it should really be placed somewhere on the front where it could be pressed with the right index finger. But then again, maybe it's thought of as being used primarily with the camera on a tripod,
12-09-2016, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
This goes to show how things work differently for different people. I don't have a K-1, but I've tried one on a couple of occasions. I love the AF button placement - it's an improvement on the K-3, which I felt was a big improvement itself on the K-5. For me, the AF button is naturally where my thumb falls when holding the camera. I always felt that the K-5 AF button was a bit awkward by comparison. Maybe my hands are too big

12-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This goes to show how things work differently for different people. I don't have a K-1, but I've tried one on a couple of occasions. I love the AF button placement - it's an improvement on the K-3, which I felt was a big improvement itself on the K-5. For me, the AF button is naturally where my thumb falls when holding the camera. I always felt that the K-5 AF button was a bit awkward by comparison. Maybe my hands are too big
Yep, you can be holding that button down a long time when tracking sports/wildlife. I like the way the thumb just rests on it.

12-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
K1 first impression Received my K1... playing around with it a little. few quick impressions. - unfortunately I don't get the 'wow' feeling when looking at images. I get the wow factor when I 'upgrade' from K5 to K5IIs (no AA filter). - the VF is not as big as I imagine it would be, doesn't seem like it will help with manual focus, my film camera like LX and OM2n seems to have larger and brighter VF. - the camera is not as big as I thought it would be, but maybe because I use 645N and 67 a lot in this past year and half. - the new wheels on top and it's option wheel... I don't like it, it is not as easily turn as the back wheel, and very confusing with the back wheel. also many of the options on the wheel can be accessed via buttons, I wish it have few user define options. It's like something not well-designed. - the directional button is now more protrude and deeper, has a different feel (I use K200, K5, K5IIs) when pressed. - button placement is weird, especially LV button, it should be change with the review button. I also keep pressing the light button on top instead of the iso button. The focus selection button as well. I don't know, buttons are not as well-placed as previous Pentax models, I think. - shot some sample image with FA35 wide open, waiting for amazing bokeh-licious photo. not very impressed, lol. - I am not impressed with focus speed either, it doesn't feel a lot of improvement from K5IIs. I don't know, maybe I shot a lot of film MF this past year and a half that I don't like 'the look' on 135 anymore? Honestly, I have a bit of buyer remorse - I could have shoot tons of MF films with this amount of money.

I experienced the same after upgrading from a K3. But after two weeks of use including one week of frustration, I gave the K1 a rest for a couple of weeks and then I looked at it with a fresh look with the goal to figure out how I would use it slightly differently from previous Pentax DSLRs. I use the user configurable settings to solve some use cases that bothered me. And it works. I agree, previous Pentax DSLR design were lean, more straightforward and intuitive to use. Regarding image quality, there are conditions where images outshine the K5IIs and K3, especially around ISO 800 where the K1 still deliver smooth images. One area where K1 is crap is with shutter induced vibrations, at low shutter speeds (<1/200), vibrations ruin whatever IQ K1 could potentially bring, it's worse than K3. It's fairly easy to see how good IQ is when using ES. + the wow effect comes from what the lens rendering on this format, has to be use in specific conditions that bring about special images. What most impresses me is when I shoot with the K1+15-30 wide open, images are so smooth, so much better than with the DA15ltd on K3, I love the K1+15-30 combo.
12-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
This isn't even close to true. You must have shaky hands.
There are certain conditions, DCshooter ... that's why Ricoh made available Electronic First Shutter Curtain, for exposures around 1/100s.

12-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #26
Pentaxian

This isn't even close to true. You must have shaky hands.
Nope. I performed test shots, indoor, using tripod and IR remote. I compared various shutter speed conditions, with / without MLU, with/without ES. That said , other brands (Sony, Canon and Nikon) have more or less the same issue.
However, I'm in love with ES of the K1. I use ISO100 and ES whenever possible, it just max the resolution out of the 36Mpixels sensor that deliver super clean images.

---------- Post added 09-12-16 at 20:45 ----------

contesting the embarrassingly ridiculous statement that it is "crap" and somehow "ruins" images below 1/200.
I don't think I've written that shutter vibration ruins images. I think I've written something like it ruins some of the 36Mpixel potential.
12-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not saying mirror slap doesn't exist. I'm saying that it's just as good or better than on the K-3 and contesting the embarrassingly ridiculous statement that it is "crap" and somehow "ruins" images below 1/200.

The EFSC was merely a trivial value add for the flagship model that took advantage of the pre-existing pixelshift EFCS capability to allow a very tiny improvement for static shots taken from a tripod.

Its introduction is not any kind of statement of some deficiency in the original implementation..
You can be a stubborn guy, no doubt, DCshooter.

The issue of mirror slap is quite separate.

This is shutter shock, a problem that can occur in many cameras (Sony A7R owners were wringing hands about it).

See http://1000wordpics.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/mirror-slap-versus-shutter-shock.html

This forum's Falk Lumo is a reference for that article.

The effect on the K-1 is real, as acknowledged by this forum's review (see quote) and an attempt by Ricoh to remedy it in LiveView is in the v1.3 firmware update. There has been no fix so far for shooting with the optical viewfinder:

The latest update also includes all of the features from firmware version 1.30, originally introduced on September 29th, 2016:
Electronic Front Curtain Shutter in Live View
EFCS can now be enabled for live view shooting. This will help alleviate shake that otherwise induces a slight degree of blur at shutter speeds in the 1/90-1/180s range. This function is primarily intended for shooting on a tripod, so Shake Reduction is unavailable while it is enabled.

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Firmware Additions | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Last edited by clackers; 12-09-2016 at 01:11 PM.
12-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Nice backpedaling. Your own words above: "One area where K1 is crap is with shutter induced vibrations, at low shutter speeds (<1/200), vibrations ruin whatever IQ K1 could potentially bring, it's worse than K3"
No no. Dear DC shooter, you are getting off track with regard to respecting people's opinions. Let's say when each of us has the freedom to does what we like and we also are free to experiment and draw our own conclusions. Please, let's close the issue. I'm not interested in warrior type of discussions, this is not my style.
12-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Like I said, it's a very trivial add for a limited use case scenario - shooting from a tripod with a static subject. .
No, if you like, it's a trivial fix for what can be a serious problem, because Ricoh have only dealt with the Live View scenario. And in the firmware PDF, it says you can't use flash, SR or HDR with it, and it may result in artefacts if the subject is moving or under fluorescent light!

Do yourself a favour, DCshooter.

Read forum member Falk's article on this issue that goes back years.

Sensor image stabilization or mirror lockup do not stop the problem.

LumoLabs -- Shutter-induced blur for Pentax K-7
12-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holy thread derailment batman.