Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

+1, Pentax has never been focused on video and I hope it will stay that way, I don't want to spend big money on something I never use, at least not 4K video ! IMO those asked for that should look elsewhere, Pentax already too busy improving the AF performance that quite lag behind others.

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I doubt it will have that high end of video recording, Pentax seems to have added video just to have it in there.

---------- Post added 12-23-16 at 11:50 AM ----------

I'd like to see it have 16-bit Raw

12-28-2016, 12:06 AM - 2 Likes   #17
CDW
Veteran Member

Implementing 4K video is not rocket science. Neither is good marketing. If Pentax can expand the Pentax user base in an ever tightening worldwide market, eroded by camera phones, it only makes sense to add 4K video capability. The majority of all television displays sold in 2017 and beyond will be 4K capable. Not incorporating high quality 4K in future Pentax bodies will be a mistake.
12-28-2016, 12:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I can not deny but this is an unfortunate reality that, some people are forced into the purchase of something they rarely used, simply because there is no better choice for them, and Pentax is not Lecia can not make decision all on it's own. If I can have a 'say' on the product design, I would ask Pentax to save the resources to improve the AF speed and AWB first, then the video.
12-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Implementing 4K video is not rocket science. Neither is good marketing. If Pentax can expand the Pentax user base in an ever tightening worldwide market, eroded by camera phones, it only makes sense to add 4K video capability. The majority of all television displays sold in 2017 and beyond will be 4K capable. Not incorporating high quality 4K in future Pentax bodies will be a mistake.
Agreed. I don't use video much at all, and prioritize my camera purchases based on their stills capabilities. If I was more video focused, then I would look for those cameras that have those capabilities foregrounded. But when I do need video from my stills camera that has a video capability, I want the implementation to at least be competent. That isn't quite the case with Pentax. And it's not really much of a stretch to make it competent, as other makers have done, ahem.

Video is here and it's here to stay. We get it as a bonus in passing from digital technology, in the same way we get multiple interesting bonuses in passing from IBIS capabilities.

12-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #20
mee
Pentaxian

More an issue, to me, is we don't even have an updated set of FF lenses for the K-1 yet and people are already asking about a successor camera? The K-1 isn't even a full year old yet and some are already kicking it to the curb.

Patience!
01-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
More an issue, to me, is we don't even have an updated set of FF lenses for the K-1 yet and people are already asking about a successor camera? The K-1 isn't even a full year old yet and some are already kicking it to the curb.

Patience!
+1 .. Pentax wont release a new FF until they release new glass.. at this time a new FF is not important.. the K1 is good enough and can be even better with some firmware updates.. but the new glass is that really matters at this time.. new primes..and perhaps a couple of zooms..
01-02-2017, 04:03 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The next full frame won't see the light before 2018, more likely in 2019. Either Photokina 2018 or cp+ 2019. The K-1 one was pushed back half a year. Maybe they'll make up for that. A three year cycle isn't strange for a resource strained company. Camera and lens development are separate, so it will appear irrespective of how many lenses there are.
01-02-2017, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member

A three year cycle isn't strange for a non-resource restrained company. Nikon and Canon tend to stick to a 3 year (and longer) cycle for their updated full frame DSLR's.
At this point the technology seems to have effectively plateau anyway in the DSLR market which hopefully will give Pentax a chance to catch-up in those areas where the K1 is still lacking a little behind the direct Nikon and Canon competition such as AF.

02-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
This thread is inspired by repeating discussions about APSC vs. FF.

For most people 15 MP are sufficient for on screen viewing and printing - if you consider distance of view. .

We can use APS-C lenses that give us great square crops on FF sensor that are not possible with an APS-C camera / sensor! I showed some examples with the DA15 on the forums.
I do share the same thoughts - that the K5II I have has sufficient 16Mp resolution and the images are much larger than my 24" screen. My earlier camera was only a 6Mp D40 and that served the purpose.
With the current push to 20 and 24Mp sensors, there is more noise. K5II still has the best ISO perf compared to newer models!

Frankly, the FF sensor seems overkill. We are at a time when iPhone7 can also take amaiing photos with its dual lens, it can also simulate DOF. The gap is getting narrower.
Sony has been able to come up with really nice mirrorless bodies, but then they have lost on OIS lenses that are too bulky and look ugly. K1 seems balanced and has pretty much the most compact shape. Perhaps a little weight reduction would help.
02-01-2017, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote
Frankly, the FF sensor seems overkill.
I don't think so - we can't generalize. Everything depends on your demands. I only wanted to point out that we can work very well with 16 or 15MP. Even if we're printing. Less can be a problem printing bigger sizes. FF sensor means more than double area of an APSC-sensor. But with sensor size everything changes - also for APS-C lenses. It unchains the whole possiblilies of APS-C lenses - if you want it. Some words about this topic you can read here.

As Rupert stated in some threads - the K-1 is two cameras in one. I subscribe this opinion. It's even more - it lets you simulate every sensor format especially between APS-C and FF with sufficient megapixels. Square mode is only one variant out of thousands.

QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote
We are at a time when iPhone7 can also take amaiing photos with its dual lens, it can also simulate DOF. The gap is getting narrower.
Sony has been able to come up with really nice mirrorless bodies, but then they have lost on OIS lenses that are too bulky and look ugly. K1 seems balanced and has pretty much the most compact shape. Perhaps a little weight reduction would help.
Making photographs is not only having a picture as a result. For me it's a way to do things. A dedicated camera like a DSLR gives you a special feeling and experience. I'll never understand why some people think, a touch display can substitute dedicated camera controls. So I'm pretty sure an iPhone or equivalent won't substitute my DSLRs. Sometimes I take photos with my iPhone with a specialized photo app. So I know what I'm talking about. ... but yes, the K-1 could be a little bit more lightweight.
03-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I don't think so - we can't generalize. Everything depends on your demands. I only wanted to point out that we can work very well with 16 or 15MP. Even if we're printing. Less can be a problem printing bigger sizes. FF sensor means more than double area of an APSC-sensor. But with sensor size everything changes - also for APS-C lenses. It unchains the whole possiblilies of APS-C lenses - if you want it. Some words about this topic you can read here.

As Rupert stated in some threads - the K-1 is two cameras in one. I subscribe this opinion. It's even more - it lets you simulate every sensor format especially between APS-C and FF with sufficient megapixels. Square mode is only one variant out of thousands.

Making photographs is not only having a picture as a result. For me it's a way to do things. A dedicated camera like a DSLR gives you a special feeling and experience. I'll never understand why some people think, a touch display can substitute dedicated camera controls. So I'm pretty sure an iPhone or equivalent won't substitute my DSLRs. Sometimes I take photos with my iPhone with a specialized photo app. So I know what I'm talking about. ... but yes, the K-1 could be a little bit more lightweight.
What you are really asking for composition masks for overlay. The MP count will not change. Similar with cars, you can go slowly with a 300hp car, but you always carry 300hp with you. If you feel that 20hp is fine, get a very old car, but don't go shopping for a new one. The MP do not cost anything. Sensors with less pixels don't really cost less and havong some extra pixels is a sales point. Composition masks would be nice. Some medium format camera backs allow uploading of drawings for composition or even masks. Besides that K1 has severl crop modes already, so we solution is close.
04-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
What you are really asking for composition masks for overlay. The MP count will not change.
Guess you missed my key aspect:

The usable image circle of a lens defines the crop boundaries of a lens. Putting the four points of any aspect ratio rectangle onto the image circle, the different rectangles will show different (mega)pixel count and they will be the maximum we can get for the specific lens - of course depending on sensor size.

Standard composition masks would be bound to the standard sensor size and not to the image circle of the used lens. But composition masks are nothing else then rectangles. Put their corners onto the lens' image circle - that's what I'm talking about.

In case of using APSC lenses on the FF sensor area we could squeeze out all what's possible with the lens attached to the camera and with the flexibility of different maximized crop ratios if we like - no matter what the original sensor ratio is.

FWIW - my thoughts about this started using DA15 in K-1 FF mode. I wrote this post about it. What a coincidence that some time later Pentax gave us square mode via firmware update!

My approach is to get a maximum flexible solution for this while considering the physical constraints of the lenses we attach to the camera.
04-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #28

How about some modern prime lenses?
04-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #29
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SamuelDixon Quote
How about some modern prime lenses?
How soon do you want them?
  • D FA*50/1.4 by end of summer (announced, in small pre-production run*).
  • D FA*85/1.4 by end of year (announced, prototype testing*)
  • 3 more primes 2018 (designs complete, no production plans yet*)
  • Possible reissues with new coatings and modern motors next (speculative)
So 5+ modern primes next 18 months, plus other roadmapped items

* per asahiman this week
04-06-2017, 08:17 PM   #30
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How soon do you want them?
  • D FA*50/1.4 by end of summer (announced, in small pre-production run*).
  • D FA*85/1.4 by end of year (announced, prototype testing*)
  • 3 more primes 2018 (designs complete, no production plans yet*)
  • Possible reissues with new coatings and modern motors next (speculative)
So 5+ modern primes next 18 months, plus other roadmapped items

* per asahiman this week
That's ambitious of a manufacturer that seems to have limited production capacity and seemingly is not willing to increase that capacity to meet current demand.

It does make me wonder though, with the speed (or lack thereof) of Ricoh to offer new D-FAs, if Q is more than on the backburner but in the trashcan? Between K mount crop, K mount full frame, and the 645 system they already have their hands full.

I suspect we get 1 D-FA prime this year (the 50mm) and 2 next year (85 and the 35). Perhaps we meet that telephoto zoom next year too.

As far as Ricoh is concerned, they probably aren't since they seem to envision the K-1 being on the market for years. The plus for us in this is, the K-1 II will already have a really nice, updated lens catalog by then... should we get a K-1 II.

I think when that happens (should that happen) in several years from now, the Pentax line might see more Sigma support.. There will be multiple FF bodies out by then (K-1 and K-1 II).. and the K-1 should be closer to 1000 bucks, so we'll potentially have more adopters then.

We are the early adopters to Pentax Digital Full frame. Even a year into it ....even 2 years into it.