Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2016, 12:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

stemked if you have the SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F4 Macro ED then you have one of the best long marco lenses made. You should really be giving it a go on the K-1.

There is an instant savings of $100 off for the smc Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro Lens right now so the price for a brand new lens is $446. This price sounds reasonable weighed against the cost of repair etc.

12-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
if you need another as a back-up, the d-fa 50mm macro is great... and they're regularly under $200 on ebay.
12-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
good as it gets for now

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Hi All.

A couple of years back I sold my film era 100mm f2.8 FA macro as I fell in love with the 100 DA W f2.8. The 100 DA W has been through a lot after several years of travel and now has a broken lip and is a bit grindy (if that is the best word) . So I am contemplating repair or replacement. I have a K1 coming in about a month so I'm figuring my options for a full frame K1.

1) Repair the 100 DA W f2.8. Will this lens be cropped on a K1? How expnsive would the repair be?

2) Replace the 100 DA W f2.8. Same cropped issue as above

3) Replace with a film era 100 FA or F f2.8.

4) Replace with Non Pentax options? Tamron 90, or Sigma 105?

I want to maintain 1:1 focus. Frankly I like the waterproof function and if I can get full frame with the 100 DA W, option 1 or 2 above would be my first choice.

I have several other macros including a 200 A f4, 50mm f2.8 F, 100mm f4 A, and my wife's old Tamron 90mm f2.5 adaptall.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Doug

I mostly use Canon cameras. I bought the Pentax F1 for the sole purpose of macro photography. The flip screen and full frame combo is what I needed. I find the new DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR to be as good as any other macro lens I have ever used, and I have a lot of them fitting my Canon cameras. The WR was the selling point for me.
12-31-2016, 06:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
I want to maintain 1:1 focus. Frankly I like the waterproof function and if I can get full frame with the 100 DA W, option 1 or 2 above would be my first choice.
You misunderstand some things.
a) You have K-1, that is an FF camera. No lenses will be "cropped" on it. The only problem is if you take a "crop only" lens, then you get dark edges. Pentax only made some crop only lenses, and all of them are marked as DA. Note that some DA lenses are not crop-only. There are numerous threads and forum articles about this.
b) Focal length is a lens property. IF you get the DA 50mm f1.8 and DFA 50mm f2.8 macro, they will both have the same field of view on your camera. But the DA might have slightly more vignetting, less sharp corners. Field of view is a different thing, which is the focal length and also the sensor size. APSC cameras therefore appear to have higher magnification and longer focal length. But that is only because the edges get cut off.
c) The current lineup of Pentax DFA macro lenses are full frame and go to 1:1 magnification on full frame. The DA 35mm f2.8 limited is not full frame at all focus distances, but is acceptable for some users at some focus distances. I can easily recommend DFA 100mm WR, or one of the older Pentax 100mm f2.8 macro lenses (F, FA, DFA). Practically the same optics, just different features and body.
d) I would recommend you contact a local repair shop. They usually tell you how much it costs to repair before they start repairing.
e) Your other options are Sigma 105mm, Tamron 90mm, Samyang 100mm, Pentax DFA 50mm f2.8, and older lenses. I think the Pentax DFA 100mm WR is pretty great and is among the best AF macro lenses available on the market now
f) WR is not waterproof.WR is Weather Resistant. Big difference! WR is great, but you cannot go swimming with it. It is only to resist fog, rain and things like that.

12-31-2016, 05:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro is wonderful in FF. I can recommend it 👍🏻
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo