Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Anybody had their Pentax 15-30mm f/2.8 HD Lens malfunction yet with Focusing?

I bought the Pentax (rebranded Tamron 15-30mm with the Extra Disp. Coatings) back in mid Summer for my K-1. After 3 months of great use, and image quality, the USD made a 'binding noise'. This noise was akin to the screw drive on the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 hunting, when trying to lock, during focusing. Of course, it was much quieter on the Pentax 15-30mm, because of the design, but there was a vibration felt similar to screw driven lenses. Over the next week, I noticed the focusing getting softer. In Manual or Auto Focus, focusing at 30mm and then backing out to 15mm, everything would become out of focus. I took mine back to where I bought it and it was determined it better be sent back to Pentax.

It's been well over a month, and I haven't heard a peep nor has the camera shop where I purchased it from.

Anyhow, just wondering if any of you Pentax Die Hards have had a problem with that lens, or the Pentax 24-70mm f/2.8 (again, a rebranded Tamron)?

I'll let you know how I make out...

I am expecting to receive word, sometime in the next month, that a Pentax Tech was dispatched back in November and is now somewhere in the Pacific...but most likely the Atlantic...and is paddling his canoe as fast as he can.

At least I have my trusty Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for those wide shots.

Happy New Year!

12-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy New Year to you too mate.

I can't claim to be a 'Pentax Die Hard', but as it's the only system I shoot with maybe I am?

I have the 15-30 and the 24-70 and have had no issues with either lens. The 15-30 has had a really good drenching in a storm and like the 24-70 will continue to be my go to lenses for wet weather.

I hope too that your lens is an exception to the norm as it is a great lens as you've pointed out. Hopefully you'll hear from the techs soon and yours will be back to you so you can get out and about again.

Hooroo,

Tas
12-31-2016, 01:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
My 24-70mm hasn't had any issues, and I bought that back with the release with the K-1.

Hopefully, it's just a 1 off. I haven't had any issues with my Pentax 50mm f/1.4...or other lenses... in the DA or FA Series.

Cheers! Have a Great New Year!
12-31-2016, 01:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello DYR photography. I'm a user of Pentax camera and lenses , and I can't support you for repair, because it is not my job and I'm not qualified. How about to post your issue in the Pentax support section of the forum? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/200-ask-ricoh-imaging-support/334884-get-...what-post.html

12-31-2016, 02:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Whislt having nothing significant to contribute here, just in case a greater power is reading this thread, for the record, I'm wanting to be a "Pentax die easy" when it's my turn.... thanks.

Happy New Year!

NB.... actually, painless would be my first preference.
12-31-2016, 02:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear that. Yes, ring-type "USM" motors die, too... and I remember hearing about some Sigma HSM failures in the past.
I hope it will be fixed quickly.
12-31-2016, 02:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

No problem with my 15-30 yet, but I haven't had it long. I don't think this is a common problem with either the Pentax or the Tamron. Good luck with the repairs.

12-31-2016, 06:43 AM   #8

Sorry to hear about your 15-30 failing, hope Pentax do the right thing and either sort or replace it, and without further delay.

Happy to say my own is being well behaved, taking some of my best images too. Early days yet, but so far a fantastic lens.
12-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Whislt having nothing significant to contribute here, just in case a greater power is reading this thread, for the record, I'm wanting to be a "Pentax die easy" when it's my turn.... thanks.

Happy New Year!

NB.... actually, painless would be my first preference.
LoL!

Happy New Year!

---------- Post added 12-31-16 at 10:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
Sorry to hear about your 15-30 failing, hope Pentax do the right thing and either sort or replace it, and without further delay.

Happy to say my own is being well behaved, taking some of my best images too. Early days yet, but so far a fantastic lens.
It is (in my case, "was") an Amazing Lens and the IQ is Fantastic.

Worth every penny... even if it was only for 3 months.

$2000 down the drain when the report comes back, "We found nothing wrong with the lens. It's your K-1" LoL!

Happy New Year!

---------- Post added 12-31-16 at 10:13 PM ----------

I have 7 Tamron Lenses, and I have yet to have a problem with their lenses. Figures, it would be the Pentax! The most expensive of them all! I had so much fun with it. The 14mm Rokinon just isn't quite the same.

At any rate, Happy New Year!

---------- Post added 12-31-16 at 10:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sorry to hear that. Yes, ring-type "USM" motors die, too... and I remember hearing about some Sigma HSM failures in the past.
I hope it will be fixed quickly.
Electronic motors / PM Magnet motors are usually pretty decent. I'm more worried about the lens being shipped to, and from, Pentax. I think the lens gear/carrier inside is the problem and that is where the "binding" vibration was coming from. Even if it was only for "that 1 time" it did it and then left me out of focus from thereon in...

At any rate,

Happy New Year!
12-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DYR Photography Quote
I have 7 Tamron Lenses, and I have yet to have a problem with their lenses. Figures, it would be the Pentax! The most expensive of them all! I had so much fun with it. The 14mm Rokinon just isn't quite the same.
Built by Tamron in their factory in Japan. Still, this is the first failure we've heard about.
01-01-2017, 05:46 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Built by Tamron in their factory in Japan. Still, this is the first failure we've heard about.
Well, I heard our local Pentax Rep was let go. Over the past couple of years, I haven't been particularly impressed with Pentax's "Presence". That's 1 more reason why I might not be getting any updates from the place I bought it from.

Despite being "Made in Japan", factories still cheap out on parts (lots of plastic) and use imported labour. I still like my older Auto Focusing FA Lenses from 10+ years ago. They feel "real" and feel more reliable. They haven't skipped a beat and work incredibly well on the K-1!

I'm expecting it won't ever work again, properly, when I get it back.

That's what seems to happen when things get opened up and reassembled.

Anyways,

Happy New Year!
01-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
Update:- Today, I received a call from the Dealer. He said, "The Tech Repair Centre has it...but, they don't know what to do with it." "Why?", you might ask... Because Pentax have not supplied the Technical Manuals for that Lens to them! LoL!

So, there you go.

My idea of Pentax sending a poor Tech, over here in a canoe across the Atlantic/Pacific (Service Centre is on the East Coast, so they have to go around "the Cape") isn't too far off.

At least they gave me something 6 weeks later.

Don't know what will happen. I tweeted back on a Ricoh/Pentax Tweet. We'll see if they take notice.

I won't toss the towel in, just yet, with Pentax. I held my Dad's K1000 in '77 as an 8 year old, so there ain't no going back in time.

LoL.
01-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have sent 15-30 once to service and it was shipped from Finland to Sweden but at least they knew how to service the lens over there. They managed to fix decentered 30mm end. But I am a little curious how did your lens sound like when focusing with it? A sound record would do nicely. That is because mine is not very quiet either, certainly not like Tamron 15-30 for Nikon which I had in 2015.
01-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I have sent 15-30 once to service and it was shipped from Finland to Sweden but at least they knew how to service the lens over there. They managed to fix decentered 30mm end. But I am a little curious how did your lens sound like when focusing with it? A sound record would do nicely. That is because mine is not very quiet either, certainly not like Tamron 15-30 for Nikon which I had in 2015.
Well, I can't make a sound recording of it...now...as it has been sitting with Ricoh/Pentax on the other side of the Continent for 6 weeks.

Apparently, Pentax Japan haven't forwarded the Technical Manuals to the Canadian subsidiary. LoL!

I have the feeling they will just replace it to get me back on my way. I'm sure if there are any Tamron folks around here, they will want to know more what happened to it. Let's face it, Tamron is Superior to Sigma and the Competition, at large.

My Pentax 15-30mm f/2.8 was completely silent. Just like all the standard Pentax Lenses IF WR Lenses. Well, until the unfortunate binding that must have occurred. I assume it is the carrier assembly that moves the lenses. And now it's all out of whack and focusing is just too hard for contrast detection.
01-05-2017, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I did some more testing liveview AF versus OVF AF (phase detect) and there are notable differences. Using OVF and AF the lens makes silent "swoosh" type sound but in live view it sounds like screw drive AF - tsik tsik tsik kraxzzz bleep > done. I guess the AF component is not very well suited to small iterations and behaves accordingly (and slow).