Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Passport color checker lens tests

After seeing significant color & skin tone differences in my studio test shoots with different lenses I decided to purchase the Xrite Passport color checker photo. Even using custom white balance settings I could not get consistent color with my images so I thought I'd try this tool. The results of my tests are here:
Passport color checker lens tests - Images | David F Parker Photography

I tested 5 full frame lenses with my K-1 using an Elinchrom ELB400 flash with the Action head and the Elinchrom Deep Octa 27.5" light modifier. My trusty mannequin "Mona" posed for these shots. I put the RAW images in Lightroom and created new camera color profiles for each lens. There was some variation in exposure so I did changed the aperture of the lens to get the same histogram. Each profile was applied to the final images and corrected for individual white balance differences (2-400K).

Finally I can shoot and get consistent skin tones and color from my images. This tool is another necessary accessory to add to my kit.

01-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. I don't think people realize how much of a shift there is. I used the Einstein 640 lights in color mode and the consistency 100-200K. My Sigma 85mm is a little warm but not as warm as my Sigma 50. My D-FA* 70-200mm has better color saturation than my 31mm LTD. Without the X-rite color checker my skin tones would be all over the place. Then add in using the Sony A7II with the Zeiss 55mm F/1.8.
01-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Just curious: can you get the same results with a plain old 18% gray card? The only thing Lightroom needs in order to white balance is a neutral color to put the eye dropper tool on.
01-07-2017, 06:23 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Just curious: can you get the same results with a plain old 18% gray card? The only thing Lightroom needs in order to white balance is a neutral color to put the eye dropper tool on.
No, White balance does not correct for color shifts due to the camera, lens, lighting, or other environmental factors. Using a calibrated 24 color swatch where the software "knows" that dark green is -# R, # G,#B in precise numbers is required so that we see the same consistent dark green no matter what.

01-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #5

Datacolor Spyder 4 or now 5 express

I had issues with printing out photos or sending to a color print lab. I got very inconsistent overall brightness and color reproduction compared to what I saw on my monitor. I purchased the Spyder 4 express for $100 and calibrate my monitor every time I work in Lightroom. I have not had a problem after the workflow change.
01-07-2017, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
No. WB is separate and the X-rite Passport has a WB target as well. You are creating a new color profile like the Adobe Standard or the Embedded profile. Ideally you create a new profile for every shoot and for every lens that you will be using.
01-11-2017, 06:19 AM   #7

what software? I stopped working in lightroom because of tint. now I try Capture one and it render color much better.