Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bnhoj Quote
I think I am going to buy a K1 and a nice 50mm prime as soon as I am able!
That's a good decision, rated for 300K shots the K1 should give good service....The F and FA series lenses do quite well at great used prices...DFA cost a lot but are excellent ...DA "crop" lenses can give good results on FF and 1:1.

01-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I feel a lot more confident regarding the original question, and I think I am going to buy a K1 and a nice 50mm prime as soon as I am able!

A D FA 50 f2.8 Macro or DA*55 and with the K-1 that could happily be my only combination on a holiday, event, walkaround or model shoot.

01-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum. I am here to post a question for discussion regarding the potential of Pentax's future full-frame camera developments.

I have been interested in investing in a full-frame camera system for a while, but with the release of Pentax's K1, my interests have magnified considerably. I have been researching the K1 since its release and am just about ready to buy a K1. However, I do have some concerns which I would like to discuss here, namely: Does Pentax take their full-frame camera development seriously? Do they intend to update/replace the K1 with future iterations of full-frame cameras (sooner than once every 16 years)?

I have read a few articles and posts regarding the development and release of the K1 as being “for Pentax fans” and to give Pentax loyalists what they've been waiting for: a digital FF camera. I've also seen some posts saying that there are no developments or plans past the K1. As interested and excited as I am about the K1, I am really not wanting to invest money in a system that lacks longevity. If Pentax has no real interests to continue developing their full-frame camera line, choosing, rather, to play with APS-C & MF… I'd really rather invest in a Canon, Nikon or Sony.

What is the future potential for Pentax's full-frame camera line? What developments can we expect? Is the K1 the beginning of a new Pentax digital FF camera lineage safe to invest in or just a one-off thing of beauty for the Pentaxians of the world?
It will take several years to recover the development costs of lenses like the D-FA* 70-200mm. Ricoh would not invest in the glass if they weren't serious about the format. They didn't develop a new IBIS for the K-1 if they didn't intend to continue the development of the line. The K-1 is probably Ricoh's best selling body and fills the gap between the APS-C line and the 645 line. Ricoh isn't going to discuss a new body because the don't want to slow sales of the current body. I would be willing to bet that sales of the K-3II dropped significantly once the K-1 was announced and people were willing to wait.
01-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

No camera company unveils their long term plans. Marketing says whatever seems advantageous at the current time - sometimes it's the truth and sometimes a story to bide time.

The K-1 is selling well and likely to get a followup. Those who know more can't reveal details.

01-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Those who know more can't reveal details.
If I know, I can't say; if I say, I can't know.
01-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I know, I can't say; if I say, I can't know.
I don't know what you said
01-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I don't know what you said
Ya really.... is he trying to make some kind of point?
Why is he so cryptic?

01-24-2017, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
I just wanted you guys to know that I bought a K1 and it should arrive tomorrow!

I appreciated everyone's responses!
01-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I just wanted you guys to know that I bought a K1 and it should arrive tomorrow!

I'm envious.

The K-1 is on my list.

Need to work more overtime.
01-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Brace yourself for new toy fever....

What are you doing of lenses, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by normhead; 01-24-2017 at 07:40 PM.
01-24-2017, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Brace yourself for new toy fever....
For me, new toy fever lasted about two weeks, then the strangest sense of calm satisfaction came over me, and has stayed.
01-25-2017, 05:43 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I'm the opposite, I will always wonder if I would have been happier with a DFA 150-450 or a DA 560.
02-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #28

You did the best thing ever for choosing pentax k1. I was keep searching and saving money for my k1 , and right now im very glad choosen pentax k1. It is my first full frame experience and im in love with my k1. Before i purchased my camera i did lots of search, i was tired of seeing ppl has using and recommend just canon or nikon, i was looking for something unique and have a good quality.i ended with k1
I believe this year( i hope) we will have some new prime lenses like 85mm or new 77and 50mm.