Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Not everything, just this, which makes no sense to me at this point.
The biggest factor in most images for IQ is the quality of the raw file.
In my experience, if I don't see the quality I want in the raw it's not going to be in the finall file, or print.

Can you use post processing to duplicate that? I guess if you're a painter type person, you can create anything from scratch, you don't even need a raw file, just a Photoshop canvas.

But since you say you can do it... how do you create an image like this by blurring an image? It isn't blurry. It's sharp at the pixel level. The dreaminess is something else.

There are occasions, like this one , where I just reach for this lens, because it's going to give me something others don't. It's not the sharpest, but I'll take sharper lenses, like the Tamron 17-50 or DA 18-135 off the camera because of the way the 21 ltd renders it's images.

DA 21 ltd.

The 18-135 at 24mm

The 18-135 is sharper, the 21 td is better, for this type of image. I always take the 18-135 off for the 21 in it's range. I don't believe you can evaluate lenses from test chart comparisons. I believe you have to use the lens and understand it's qualities.

From what I've seen the 31 and 77 would be the same.

Darn, sucked in again.

Last edited by normhead; 01-22-2017 at 11:37 AM.
01-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
With wide-aperture lenses, the quality of the bokeh is important for portraits and any background blurring task. What you were saying about PP noise reduction, is just overdoing noise reduction on an image, destroying fine details everywhere. I posted this earlier, but it's a good example:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/557/31169371310_1358113357_o_d.jpg

The leaves and bud in focus are nice and sharp, but if you scroll over to the background, it's smooth and relatively undistracting. That couldn't easily be done with noise reduction unless applied selectively (if you had jagged bokeh). You'd have to do it to every image, which would be a huge pain.
So we are talking about bokeh, not the characteristics of in-focus areas of an image?

---------- Post added 01-22-17 at 01:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The biggest factor in most images for IQ is the quality of the raw file.
In my experience, if I don't see the quality I want in the raw it's not going to be in the finall file, or print.

Can you use post processing to duplicate that? I guess if you're a painter type person, you can create anything from scratch, you don't even need a raw file, just a Photoshop canvas.

But since you say you can do it... how do you create an image like this by blurring an image? It isn't blurry. It's sharp at the pixel level. The dreaminess is something else.

There are occasions, like this one , where I just reach for this lens, because it's going to give me something others don't. It's not the sharpest, but I'll take sharper lenses, like the Tamron 17-50 or DA 18-135 off the camera because of the way the 21 ltd renders it's images.

DA 21 ltd.

The 18-135 at 24mm

The 18-135 is sharper, the 21 td is better, for this type of image. I always take the 18-135 off for the 21 in it's range. I don't believe you can evaluate lenses from test chart comparisons. I believe you have to use the lens and understand it's qualities.

From what I've seen the 31 and 77 would be the same.

Darn, sucked in again.

Perhaps my eyes are not up to snuff. I do not see what makes that image dreamy. Would the same scene in the same lighting taken through a different lens be undreamy? It seems to me that any characteristic that a lens lends an image should be able to be described using measurable optical terms like resolution, contrast, micro-contrast, diffusion, circle of confusion, etc.
01-22-2017, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
That sounds like something benefiting its own thread with details on the swap
I'll post a review once the mechanical aspects of the conversion are complete.
01-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #34
Forum Member

Sharpest lenses

Hi Digitalis,

I've never heard of B&M stores, are they local or interstate?? What is there full name?

Greg
Adelaide

01-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greg1956 Quote
Hi Digitalis,

I've never heard of B&M stores, are they local or interstate?? What is there full name?

Greg
Adelaide
B&M refers to "brick & mortar" stores, a place where you can actually touch the hardware....as opposed to online marketplaces like amazon.
01-24-2017, 12:42 AM   #36
Forum Member

B&M stores

ok,

thanks for that,

Greg
03-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #37
Forum Member

I have the Sigma 35mm f1.4 art lens and while they're not directly comparable, it's definitely a sharp lens. Even wide open it is special. The Samyang is still better but the Sigma is certainly nice.

03-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #38
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by English-Photographer Quote
Sharpest Pentax Lens
For me "sharpest" is not always what my photography is about... it's only one of the many contributing factors, so I try not to get too wrapped around the axle with it.
03-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #39
Forum Member

I suppose for me part of it is ego bragging rights, part is seeing what the world looks like when photographed because the camera and lens combination has higher resolution than my eyes, and part is because I am only after a few photographs now and I want them to have as high a quality as possible.
03-25-2017, 10:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Always worth noting in these sharpness discussions: the slightest amount of camera, lens, and/or subject motion blur makes assessment of lens resolution VERY challenging. More relevant at 36MP than ever.

Lens resolution measurement on an optical bench: OK. In the field: probably unrealistic.
03-28-2017, 05:33 PM   #41
Veteran Member

just gonna wait and see what pentax bring out in the future hopefully a 135mm as they are building up there lens line bit by bit
03-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by English-Photographer Quote
I have the Dfa 50mm and it's not really sharp. The 100mm might be special. Haven't seen...
If your D FA 50mm f 2.8 is not sharp, there must be something wrong with your copy. Numerous sharpness tests show extremely high level of resolution for this lens, the sharpest or at least near sharpest Pentax has ever made.
03-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
If your D FA 50mm f 2.8 is not sharp, there must be something wrong with your copy. Numerous sharpness tests show extremely high level of resolution for this lens, the sharpest or at least near sharpest Pentax has ever made.
As sharp as the Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro in my experience, with better contrast at large apertures.
03-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I agree, Ivan, I took the following SOOC at the weekend with the 50mm Macro. The second is a crop of the first just to show there's so much detail there, post processing will be needed to smooth it out.

Last edited by clackers; 03-28-2017 at 08:18 PM.
03-29-2017, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I agree, Ivan, I took the following SOOC at the weekend with the 50mm Macro. The second is a crop of the first just to show there's so much detail there, post processing will be needed to smooth it out.

Now that is one sharp portrait, making me wonder why you chose this particular lens for a portrait. I have heard that some ladies cover their faces when they see a photographer with this lens! Beautiful model, but something about her aura tells me that she definitely has a mind of her own. Perhaps you will wish to do PP before displaying this photo to her!