Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I still shoot in crop mode occasionally, but if I really want the improved IQ I get from the whole sensor, it's disappointing...

But if I don't need the resolution, it's a quick way to crop photos before they get to the computer, and it feels like a bit of extra telephoto...

-Eric
Thanks for your opinion/information Eric.

03-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Honestly, I think you should fo FF on a FF camera - otherwise get a hold of any FF camera with crop mode to get a feeling for it. At the end of the day you want the whole visible image and will ask for more reach in focal length rather than cropping. The real question is here is whether 24-70 or 28-105 is right for you.
03-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Honestly, I think you should fo FF on a FF camera - otherwise get a hold of any FF camera with crop mode to get a feeling for it. At the end of the day you want the whole visible image and will ask for more reach in focal length rather than cropping. The real question is here is whether 24-70 or 28-105 is right for you.
I know I would really want the 24 width instead of the 28 on the short end, and do want a zoom as opposed to a prime.

Thanks for your input.
03-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
But if I don't need the resolution, it's a quick way to crop photos before they get to the computer, and it feels like a bit of extra telephoto...
I've done this because I didn't have an appropriate focal length zoom for my application (shooting a performance), and also because the increased frame rate of the APS-C mode was needed.

05-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why are you guys trying to get this guy to buy a new lens ? He made a good point, why not use the 24-70 in cropped mode to get longer reach, I don't see why not. The question is picture quality. So instead of trying to get this guy to buy a new expensive lens take out your K-1 if you have one slap on the 24-70 if you have one and then set the camera to "CROP" mode. Then take pictures of your cat, or your car and give this guy an honest answer.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 05-05-2017 at 06:12 PM.
05-05-2017, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
He made a good point, why not use the 24-70 in cropped mode to get longer reach,
It depends on your definition of "reach". Using the lens in crop mode does not change the image size in the viewfinder or the image size that the lens produces on the sensor. In the actual picture the camera produces the image is larger, giving the appearance of longer reach. But the only reason it is larger is because a aps-c sized section of the sensor (15mp) was used. This is the same as taking a FF picture of the same subject and cropping it in PP. Both methods would produce an identical image in terms of size and resolution.

The only way to achieve longer "reach" that does not result in an image having reduced resolution is to use a longer lens.