Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #1

Help me Decide?

So I am sitting here on my couch surrounded by my gear... trying to decide if I should sell my APSC bodies and move to the K-1. I have said for years that when Pentax released their FF body I would switch, but in reality I just haven't used my DSLR cameras all that much over the years. I tend to take pictures with whatever high end pocket camera I posses at the time.. .being a fly fisherman and back packer I just tend to have it in hand more often. I have been a serious photographer in the past.. starting back in 1985 with my first Pentax SuperProgram... and then switching to a 645 for years...until I switched to digital with the k10d after I returned from my first tour in Iraq,,, 2004ish. I consider myself a landscape photographer, but I will also use the new camera on guide trips, I am now a fly fishing guide to take, some high end photos for my clients. So here is what I have,,, my estimate for what they are worth,,please correct me if I am wrong. As you will see my shutter counts are embarrassingly low on my last three bodies,,, feel free to bash me... I was an active duty Marine for 24 years and just didn't have the time to dedicate... I am now retired.. much more time on my hands

K7 body-- 989 clicks... might get $150?
K5 body-- 858 clicks.. maybe $250-300
K3 body-- 982 clicks maybe $450-500
Pentax DA* 50-135 $450??
Pentax DA 12-24 $300??
Sigma 105 Macro $300?? fixed thanks to photolady95

Those are the lenses I figure will not work with the K1..please let me know if I am wrong or should keep one to use in crop mode? I also have the following lenses that should work with the K1.

Pentax FA 77mm
Pentax FA 31mm
Tamron 28-75 XR DI
Tamron 70-200 LD DI SP etc etc etc
Sigma 50-500

So if I sell all the APSC stuff I can get pretty close to the cost of a K1 body... have a bit of a tax return to pick up another FF lens if needed...

Sorry I know I am asking a lot here.. but there isn't a pentax dealer in the entire state of Colorado as far as I can tell... any and all opinions welcomed...even to tell me to pound sand

Last edited by mrt10x; 03-11-2017 at 01:50 PM.
03-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
Pentax 105 Macro
Are you sure that's Pentax and not Sigma? I can't find a Pentax version in that focal length in our data base.
03-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Are you sure that's Pentax and not Sigma? I can't find a Pentax version in that focal length in our data base.
You are correct Sigma
03-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well its hard for anyone else to tell you what you should do as, you know best.
Sounds like you have some experience and maybe its also a case of not "clicking" with those cameras? Pun intended. Have you thought of hiring (or at least trying in the shop) a K-1?
In any case it would seem that you could move on the K-7 and K-5 and see what that raises.
I went from the K-5 to K-1, quickly fell in love with the K-1 and it has really spurred on my interest in photography. I used to shoot for years with a Canon AE-1 program and really enjoying getting back to a FF format with the K-1. But everyones is going to have a different experience and it is a pile of cash to spend.

EDIT: Forgot to say you have pretty good lenses for FF already. Only thing missing is an ultra wide which could be filled with a cheap MF Samyang prime (if you don't mind MF) or say the DFA 15-30.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 03-11-2017 at 02:54 PM.
03-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
amp

As of a couple hours ago, there was a used K1 on B&H's website for $1,450.
Go for it!!!
03-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amp Quote
As of a couple hours ago, there was a used K1 on B&H's website for $1,450.
Go for it!!!
Yes I saw it I couldnt find a shutter count. I may miraculously go to 100000 clicks from 900 overnight
03-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K7 body-- 989 clicks... might get $150?
K5 body-- 858 clicks.. maybe $250-300
K3 body-- 982 clicks maybe $450-500
I think you underrate the value of these bodies. On ebay examples of these considered to have low shutter count of several thousand are going for considerably higher than your estimates. With yours having only several hundred clicks, asking price could easily be 50% or more higher if they are in nearly new looking clean shape.
You may also be surprised to find what your lenses have been selling for lately so a good search on the markets is advised. Get your reasonable money out of these and put it to good use on new Pentax of course.

03-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
I think you underrate the value of these bodies. On ebay examples of these considered to have low shutter count of several thousand are going for considerably higher than your estimates. With yours having only several hundred clicks, asking price could easily be 50% or more higher if they are in nearly new looking clean shape.
You may also be surprised to find what your lenses have been selling for lately so a good search on the markets is advised. Get your reasonable money out of these and put it to good use on new Pentax of course.
Thanks,, I had done a cursory search... not thorough enough apparently.
03-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks,, I had done a cursory search... not thorough enough apparently.
I think you're pretty close on pricing. If you price it too high it will sit around for months, and who's got that kind of time when there's a K-1 to buy

I always price my stuff to sell quickly. Others seem to hang on for months, even years. But hey to each their own.
03-12-2017, 01:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Help me Decide? So I am sitting here on my couch surrounded by my gear... trying to decide if I should sell my APSC bodies and move to the K-1. I have said for years that when Pentax released their FF body I would switch, but in reality I just haven't used my DSLR cameras all that much over the years. I tend to take pictures with whatever high end pocket camera I posses at the time.. .being a fly fisherman and back packer I just tend to have it in hand more often. I have been a serious photographer in the past.. starting back in 1985 with my first Pentax SuperProgram... and then switching to a 645 for years...until I switched to digital with the k10d after I returned from my first tour in Iraq,,, 2004ish. I consider myself a landscape photographer, but I will also use the new camera on guide trips, I am now a fly fishing guide to take, some high end photos for my clients. So here is what I have,,, my estimate for what they are worth,,please correct me if I am wrong. As you will see my shutter counts are embarrassingly low on my last three bodies,,, feel free to bash me... I was an active duty Marine for 24 years and just didn't have the time to dedicate... I am now retired.. much more time on my hands
Very good post indeed. I was in a situation similar to yours. Having 3 Pentax apsc bodies and a bunch of lenses including some that I seldom used, I figured I was never using two cameras simultaneously and that the latest camera model was doing as good or better as all previous camera models. So, instead of having older camera bodies and lenses slowly deprecating in their storage compartment, I decided not to wait further and sell what I seldom used and use the money to finance the K1. It's good to have one full frame camera for taking high quality photos on photo outings, and a pocket camera that can be carried all the time in case it's needed and for documenting what we do.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-12-2017 at 01:49 AM.
03-12-2017, 02:11 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Help me Decide?
More time = more clicks, just get the K1, I'm sure you wont be disappointed, maybe hold back on selling the K3 and keep as a second body if funds permit.

Enjoy retirement the Pentax way.
03-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #12

Keep the 12-24mm

Just a couple of things to bear in mind. My perspective is that I use both K3 and K1 and have a K5 still lying around! Either way definitely keep the 12-24 f4.0. It covers full frame from 18-24mm and frankly I'm struggling to justify the cost of the 15-30mm f2.8 because the 12-24 gives me ultra wide in full frame and is a very good lens.

As for your camera dilemma I do love the K1 - it is an exceptional camera, truly one of the best imaging devices in the world and is noticeably better in low light than any Pentax APSC body. I don't regret mine for a second but then I shoot primarily models, portraits, bands, gigs and portraits. For all of those things most of the time I am not lugging the camera around much. When I travel I more often than not take the K3 because as a system it is much lighter - it's not just the body but the huge full frame lenses too that are heavy. Given you are talking about being a walker and landscape shooter I think it's worth thinking about the lack of portability of a K1 based system. If you haven't wanted to lug an APSC format system around with you then you aren't going to want to haul a K1 - trust me!

Having said that and to wet your appetite I did write some thoughts and impressions of the K1 on my blog! Jonathan Gorse Photography | Pentax K1 - the 35mm legend returns...

Let us know what you decide!

Jonlg
03-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
Just a couple of things to bear in mind. My perspective is that I use both K3 and K1 and have a K5 still lying around! Either way definitely keep the 12-24 f4.0. It covers full frame from 18-24mm and frankly I'm struggling to justify the cost of the 15-30mm f2.8 because the 12-24 gives me ultra wide in full frame and is a very good lens.

As for your camera dilemma I do love the K1 - it is an exceptional camera, truly one of the best imaging devices in the world and is noticeably better in low light than any Pentax APSC body. I don't regret mine for a second but then I shoot primarily models, portraits, bands, gigs and portraits. For all of those things most of the time I am not lugging the camera around much. When I travel I more often than not take the K3 because as a system it is much lighter - it's not just the body but the huge full frame lenses too that are heavy. Given you are talking about being a walker and landscape shooter I think it's worth thinking about the lack of portability of a K1 based system. If you haven't wanted to lug an APSC format system around with you then you aren't going to want to haul a K1 - trust me!

Having said that and to wet your appetite I did write some thoughts and impressions of the K1 on my blog! Jonathan Gorse Photography | Pentax K1 - the 35mm legend returns...

Let us know what you decide!

Jonlg
Thank you for that information on the 18-24.. great info... I may have a decision to share here in a couple of hours

---------- Post added 03-14-2017 at 10:59 AM ----------

Well UPS came a few hours early today

Now comes the fun part.. trying to figure out how to use all the new stuff
03-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #14

Original Poster
First surprise.. my Sigma 105/2.8 macro is full frame.. I didn't see it on the FF map on the sticky.. but someone did mention it in the thread somewhere.. so that is cool. Jonig is correct the 12-24 will cover at 18... so that helps as well. I think I will miss the built in flash.. so used to having that.
03-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Pentax DA 12-24 $300??

$400 if in very good shape.