Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2017, 01:27 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax need more guys to theorize less on the "could have been equipments" and buy their stuff more before the end comes.

04-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
What Pentax needs to do
Is to send the old Kerrowdown a big fat cheque... for standing behind the brand all these years, yelling its praises from the roof tops and not succumbing to any of the "Doomed" threads.
05-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #18

is to improve the "Electric Shutter" to offer higher framerates and burst mode. ALL TOTALLY SILENT
05-10-2017, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I don't know what Pentax needs to do. I've been a photographer for 5 decades, both as a way of partially earning a living, mostly just as an avid photographer. Like many shutterbugs my age I have lots of camera equipment...some Pentax...some not, have used lots of various stuff and greatly appreciate the fact that I'm living in the digital age. IMO, things photographic for the most part are much better in this age than the film age.

I've gone from the days when Pentax was flying high, in every camera store, well known and promoted by camera store salespeople...to the present days of...is Pentax still around.

In the past I've thought they should advertise more, work harder to get their equipment in stores...all that kind of stuff that Canon does so well.

Now, I think their apparent strategy seems to work ok and I say apparent because I don't know for sure if they have a marketing strategy ....and really my guess is only as good as yours.

But anyways, having essentially no advertising while continuing to develop and produce really excellent photographic equipment, selling online and via a few large camera store companies, seemingly catering only to their brand loyalists, like me...seems to keep the venerable Pentax brand treading water, sometimes enjoying the swim in an increasingly difficult camera market.

Is it workable long term ? I dunno. I hope so, but I dunno. I did recently (2 months ago) buy a K-1, 28-105, battery grip and extra battery....so it worked on me. But then, I'm an easy sell.

05-10-2017, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

"Now, I think their apparent strategy seems to work ok and I say apparent because I don't know for sure if they have a marketing strategy ....and really my guess is only as good as yours.

But anyways, having essentially no advertising while continuing to develop and produce really excellent photographic equipment, selling online and via a few large camera store companies, seemingly catering only to their brand loyalists, like me...seems to keep the venerable Pentax brand treading water, sometimes enjoying the swim in an increasingly difficult camera market."

This is what I was thinking about some time ago..
I am holding right now a really nice almost mint Leica R 6.2..It is said its the last pure Leica before using Minolta sourced parts, so I guess it makes it a very desirable collection piece, even if it would be destinated to a wood and glass heirloom drawer. This thing would probably survive WW3..
And that is precisely what I think Ricoh wants to steer Pentax to..a high value item for the very few who would percieve a Pentax camera for what it is, pure photography with minimal high tech, just enough to fill the list, but retaining that old school glamour, like the Leicas and Contax of the world. Its pretty obvious when you see the K1 and KP, all dials and retro style..
05-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
"Now, I think their apparent strategy seems to work ok and I say apparent because I don't know for sure if they have a marketing strategy ....and really my guess is only as good as yours.

But anyways, having essentially no advertising while continuing to develop and produce really excellent photographic equipment, selling online and via a few large camera store companies, seemingly catering only to their brand loyalists, like me...seems to keep the venerable Pentax brand treading water, sometimes enjoying the swim in an increasingly difficult camera market."

This is what I was thinking about some time ago..
I am holding right now a really nice almost mint Leica R 6.2..It is said its the last pure Leica before using Minolta sourced parts, so I guess it makes it a very desirable collection piece, even if it would be destinated to a wood and glass heirloom drawer. This thing would probably survive WW3..
And that is precisely what I think Ricoh wants to steer Pentax to..a high value item for the very few who would percieve a Pentax camera for what it is, pure photography with minimal high tech, just enough to fill the list, but retaining that old school glamour, like the Leicas and Contax of the world. Its pretty obvious when you see the K1 and KP, all dials and retro style..
You know Jeff, funny that you would say that. I've wondered if this is the direction Pentax may be going. I'd be fine with that, well fine with that as long as Pentax doesn't try to sell their wares at the stratospheric level of a Leica...as that would instantly deny access to the Pentax world for an average schmo like myself.

I also have a Leica. It's a 1952 llf rangefinder with an even older Leitz 50mm F 3.5 collapsible Elmar. Does this combo take excellent, sharp pictures, which I find somewhat amazing as it's just a bit younger than me, but in far better working condition. I've had this Leica since 1982.

I've always been impressed with Pentax top of the line stuff....both bodies and lenses. My latest...and possibly my greatest Pentax is my new K-1. I like everything about it. Ergonomics with the battery grip attached, image quality, looks, controls. In my humble view, it's an exceptional camera.