Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The body grip on the K-3 is a similar shape to the grip on the K-1, although one is quite a bit larger. A hand grip has always been a requirement. I even use them on some film cameras. I rarely use the buttons, but they are there when needed.

I wish the newer grips stored the remote. I love that in my K10D. The second battery is a must, and I'd recommend going into your camera menu and setting it to use the grip battery first and body battery second. I switch out the grip battery before it dies and rarely use the body battery. It's a pain to remove the grip to replace the body battery.

05-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I tried my K-1 without the extra grip, when I first got it. My K10D and K-5 both have the battery grip. I have large hands and I found that I liked the extra surace area the grips provide on all three cameras. The K-1 seems noticeably heavier (haven't weighed it) than either the K10D or K5. BTW, I carry an extra battery in each grip.

But the weight doesn't bother me too much .
05-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I like it on the K1. It balances the long lenses well. When I take it off it feels unstable in my hands.
05-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
While my K5II feels awkward without a grip, my K1 feels perfect. I mainly didn't get it because I didn't want to add more weight, but the size of the camera is comfortable for me as is. I never use the secondary buttons on the K5II's grip, and there is never a time - even at a wedding - when I don't have a few seconds to swap out a dying battery.

06-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I want to make a photo request. If anyone has a K-1 with a 24-70 on it I want to see pictures. I want to see several pics of the combo but particularly I want to see a side view of the camera and lens while it's sitting on something flat (like a table).

I am still debating getting the grip or not. I will probably purchase within the next few days or so. B&H had the deal going on with a free grip but apparently they ran out of grips so now the lens and body are the combo with a few nick knacks thrown in there.
06-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Also if someone can show me some photos of the body and whatever lens with the grip on it that would be helpful.

In all pics something like a ruler or a standard size object for reference would also be good.
06-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Based on this image here.... it seems like the K-1 might be big enough without the grip on it. Since I have no option to do hands on pics showing a comparison are my main option.

06-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #23
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
If anyone has a K-1 with a 24-70 on it I want to see pictures. I want to see several pics of the combo but particularly I want to see a side view of the camera and lens while it's sitting on something flat (like a table).
Also if someone can show me some photos of the body and whatever lens with the grip on it that would be helpful. In all pics something like a ruler or a standard size object for reference would also be good.
I have captured some images as you've requested, they can be found here: Tas's Album: Hand strap feedback - PentaxForums.com

Please note: some images are aimed at attachments for straps, the one's relevant to your request are titled 'Grip' and 'No Grip', these are numbered. I have included a ruler but forgot that there is a hand strap attachment on the bottom of the camera so the height of the camera appears taller due to the added 12/64ths height from the attachment.

Hope these help.

Tas
06-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #24
Forum Member

I just purchased the K-1 and the free grip came with it. I like the camera better with the grip. My hands are medium to medium large size and my fingers fit the camera better with the grip. For me it also feels more balanced. Even with my only remaining K mount lens, a 40mm pancake lens, it feels better in my hands. I have a D FA 100 2.8 on the way and cannot wait to get a full frame macro setup working.
06-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I have a K5 and K10D...both grips, both with extra battery in the grip. I have a Km, no grip available and my large hands overwhelm the camera...I like the addition of a grip as I can get a good 'grip' on the camera body with my XL hands.

I bought a K-1, tried the camera for awhile without grip and within 2 weeks ordered a grip and extra battery to go with the K-1. In my case I need the extra surface area that a grip provides and I also like the extra charged battery ready to go, when I run out of juice on a shoot.

I have the 28-105 on the K-1 mostly.

My K10D, K5 and K-1 are all big and heavy mit grip, but so am I ...so I don't notice the extra weight and size....but I do notice the extra security in holding a gripped K series digital body.
06-05-2017, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I took advantage of the sale going on so I went ahead and purchased a k1 and 24-70.

I will evaluate it for a bit before buying the grip.

With the sale and some other discounts I'm able to get it was too good to pass up.
06-05-2017, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

I took advantage of the sale going on so I went ahead and purchased a k1 and 24-70.

I will evaluate it for a bit before buying the grip.

With the sale and some other discounts I'm able to get it was too good to pass up.
Nice purchase. If I don't buy another prime the 24-70 is an alternative I am considering.
06-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JamesDCrockett Quote
Nice purchase. If I don't buy another prime the 24-70 is an alternative I am considering.
I have been itching to get this and actually preparing for a long time for it.

My next step is seeing if I want the grip or not.

As for lenses I plan to pick up that new 50 when it drops. Maybe the 85....

What would really excite me is wide fast primes.

I'm on the fence about the 15-30 because it is so huge and heavy.

Financial stuff matters but so does hauling everything around.

In the meantime my kit of the 24-70 and 3 amigos will do me fine I think.
06-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #29
Forum Member

I have been itching to get this and actually preparing for a long time for it.

My next step is seeing if I want the grip or not.

As for lenses I plan to pick up that new 50 when it drops. Maybe the 85....

What would really excite me is wide fast primes.

I'm on the fence about the 15-30 because it is so huge and heavy.

Financial stuff matters but so does hauling everything around.

In the meantime my kit of the 24-70 and 3 amigos will do me fine I think.
I have two old canon FD Bayonet Lens and they weigh a ton. Even more with the fotodiox adapter I picked up to use with this camera. The FD 2.5 135 is now retired since I bought the D-FA 100. I am going to keep using the 300 mm for the occasional bird shot I may go looking for but I hate lugging that thing around.
06-16-2017, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have to chime back in on my own thread here:

I bought a K-1 and tried it for a few days without the grip. In 100% honest candor even with various lenses it kind of made my wrist hurt after carrying it around for a while.

I got my grip today and overall now I can say that the 'balance' of the camera is substantially better with the grip. I will be running this camera--as I ran my K-3 with the grip from now on.