Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K1+grip?

Once again I am soliciting opinions. Naturally I have to tell a bit of backstory too

I have been shooting with a K3 for quite a while now. After a bit of trial and error I started using the battery grip. Now after many months (or a year or two) I have come to love the grip on the K3. I don't ever turn the camera sideways that often but just the bigger grip area fits my hand. And of course it adds a lot of weight too.

Now I am planning to move up to the K1 and I am wondering who uses the grip with that body?

The one thing I really don't like about the grip with the K3 is that the camera and lens does not ride flat when it's all packed up on flights or whatever. The other question is about the K1 body itself when compared to the K3 is if I would be able to carry the K1 with no grip and still get a slightly better in the hand feel that the K3 (which is slightly small for my hand). My pinky finger free floats on the K3 without the grip.

At one point I figured up the weight of the K1 with the 24-70 and if I recall it's about the same as the K3 with the grip and the 16-85.

Anyway this is the general topic so I would like to hear other people's opinions or things that I haven't thought of.

05-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I recently upgraded from k10D+grip to the K1. I have a lot of legacy glass but bought the DFA 24-70 to go with the K1. It is a mighty fine lens.

Grip? No thank you. i dont have large hands and I don't want the extra weight.
05-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd been using the K5 when I picked up a K-1. I found the camera alone is taller in the body so it could be that you may be okay without a battery grip.

However as I'd been using battery grips for my previous three bodies I decided I'd end up missing it if I didn't get one so I decided to grab one for the K-1. I use the camera vertically probably a third of the time so it can be handy for this. The button placement doesn't completely mirror the camera body so if back-button focus is something you do it is something you should be aware of. It's not insurmountable just a bit annoying.

I like the idea of the extra battery capacity that the grip provides and the ability to carry a third SD card, though the dual SD slots of the K-1 has reduced the importance of this capability.

I use my K-1 with a hand strap from Joby and find the battery grip provides a more flexible hand hold using this combo. I also carry the camera by the battery grip sometimes to change up the hand position which is handy when I'm using one of my heavier lenses. A problem with this combo is from time to time the bottom of the hand strap sits across the battery grip shutter button. I'm aware of the problem and have adapted some checks for this though from time to time I get an exposure I didn't know I had. Usually of my foot or something like that, so I may as well blame the gear.

If you find the battery grip gives you more than just extra real estate for the hand you might be best off getting one for the K-1 especially if you do long trips as it will save the amount of battery changes needed. If you only need the battery grip to provide extra space for gripping the camera, I think you'll find the K-1 body a better fit without needing the grip, unless you've got very large hands.

Good luck with your decision, rest assured you're going to enjoy the K-1.

Tas
05-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use two hands always, landscape and portrait.

I went from a K10D with grip to K-3 without grip directly to a K-1 and have not used a grip with K-1. Like you I suffered from floating pinkie finger with K-3. On K-1 the additional height and new grip design is perfect for my size 10 hands, including the fourth finger. When I picked up the camera at the store it came naturally into my hand and to my eye.

I would only need a grip for the second battery. Even portrait shooting is natural with right hand on top.

05-17-2017, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I always use the grip on the K1. It just feels better in my hand and it helps balance my lens on the tripod better. I never use the shutter button on it but having the extra battery is nice also.
05-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I like the idea of the extra battery capacity
I have grown spoiled in this aspect too. I love the idea of having two batteries. At the same time carrying a spare in my pocket would be a lot less weight so that's not a deal breaker, although I do like it.

I might just spring for the grip and say what the heck. Don't know until you try eh?

I just understand the weight is pretty hefty on the K1. Thrown in the grip and it could be really heavy.
05-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the grip. I don't think I've ever used the shutter on it. It just gives something nicer to hang on to. It does add a bit of weight, but most of that is from the second battery. But it's nice to have both because when the camera starts acting fussy, switching to a fresh battery often does the trick. I really think the grip is an essential item, just making it far easier to hold the camera. Weight isn't the issue, it's balance!

05-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
The button placement doesn't completely mirror the camera body so if back-button focus is something you do it is something you should be aware of. It's not insurmountable just a bit annoying.
I was very tempted to buy the grip for my K-1 as I've used grips with my last two bodies, however, this issue has discouraged me. I shoot a lot by touch now and I almost always use back-button AF. I recall one of my prior grips had this same issue and it was very annoying. On that previous grip I'd accidentally hit the green button and lose my settings. Why would Pentax not use the same button configuration on the grip as on the body? The grip is great for portrait shots, especially when there people or photographers behind you who don't really want your whole right arm in their view. This was an issue shooting sports without a grip. I hope Pentax is able to match the button configuration on future grips or I'll have to manage without one.
05-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I just understand the weight is pretty hefty on the K1. Thrown in the grip and it could be really heavy.
The grip on the K-1 (D-BG6 & DLI90=1.15lbs) is indeed heavier, but not significantly so over the grip for the K3 (BG5 & DLI90=0.95lbs). The difference is more related to the camera weight which doesn't feel excessive due to the larger are to grip the camera with. It's such a shame Pentax isn't available in many B&M stores as getting your hands on one in the store would no doubt tell you everything you need to know.

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
I'd accidentally hit the green button and lose my settings.
Yep, that's what I've done a couple of times whilst shooting motocross racing. I don't want to be looking at the camera when I"m shooting racing and as small a difference as it might be, the change in button configuration did causes mistakes and shots to be missed. Despite this II find the grip especially useful with the longer lenses so putting up with it is a better compromise for me than having to do the hand over the top portait shooting.

Tas
05-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to use grip with my K5ii and K3.. but with the K1 i havent really need it.. the normal grip is good enough for me and adding extra weight is something to think about.. K1 by itself feels really nice.
05-17-2017, 11:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got my K-1 without a grip, and have not missed it in twelve months of solid use.
05-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just check - here in the UK Ricoh (and some outlets) are offering a free grip with the K-1 - that might solve the problem
05-20-2017, 04:21 AM   #13
Forum Member

I bought my K1 with a lens discount rather than take a free grip, last week I bought a used grip, in all effect it was brand new. I just could not part with the £230 they go for because I didn't think I really need it but when one came up at £150 I didn't hesitate.

It does add balance when using it with my 17-30 and 70-200 lens and the AA battery support may be handy one day, but the bulk is both visiable and you can feel the weight.. but in the short use I have given it it has been worth it.

The camera feels more solid to hold because of the extra surface area so does improve the feel and hold of the camera.. weight is not noticeable but then I do use two rather heavy lenses on it.

There is a couple of design flaws I don't like one is the tripod mount is off centre and does effect the balance of the camera when on a lightweight tripod and where the body and mount join there is not much of a seal, leaving a gap for dust and water to work its way between them. I take a fair few pictures on beaches when it's windy, I have yet to see if this will be a sand trap but it looks like it could be.

For me it was £150 well spent, but £229 not so sure..
05-20-2017, 06:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If you are shooting with primes like the 31mm then no grip.
If you are shooting with big glass like the D-FA* 70-200mm then I recommend getting the grip.
05-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
For the old Kerrowdown... big hands, big glass = grip.

Never leave home without 'em, in fact all cameras, all brands (some of those already built into the body), all gripped.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-23-2017 at 02:12 PM.