Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Bulb mode on k1? Help!

Trying to activate bulb mode , set the dial to B, but somehow the shutter speed setting always overrides it. What do I do? Haha.

Finally got out in the blackest night , and can't for the life of me figure this out.

07-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 in B mode actually has two modes: 1) Timer mode where the camera sets the exposure time; and 2) Bulb mode where control of the exposure is passed to an external device (remote IR release, cable release, intervalometer). You toggle between these two modes by pressing the green button on the back of the K-1. Takes a bit to get your head around but becomes one of those bit of engineering pluses when you think about it.
07-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now that I look into it, seems like my dial isn't working. It has never left manual mode so I didn't notice it before - but moving the dials does nothing most of the time. Then it would move to shutter priority sometime, then move back to manual, skipping all the other modes.
Do I have a dial failure or did I somehow have a function on that renders the dial useless?
07-17-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately, a few K-1s have experienced mode dial failure with your exact symptoms. Warranty repair is the best course of action.

07-18-2017, 03:06 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Now that I look into it, seems like my dial isn't working. It has never left manual mode so I didn't notice it before - but moving the dials does nothing most of the time. Then it would move to shutter priority sometime, then move back to manual, skipping all the other modes.
Do I have a dial failure or did I somehow have a function on that renders the dial useless?
Are you in video mode by any chance? This disables many of the shooting modes.

But once you get into B, just turn the e-dial until you see B, rather than a multi-minute shutter speed, which can be set up to 20 minutes with the latest firmware.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-18-2017, 06:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Unfortunately, a few K-1s have experienced mode dial failure with your exact symptoms. Warranty repair is the best course of action.
Thanks @jbinpg!
@adam I dont think so, unless i can be in video mode without live view on and taking pictures normally. I'll check the dial.

This is the issue with having multiple systems, lol, when things go wrong I get confused how each system does their thing.
07-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Thanks @jbinpg!
@adam I dont think so, unless i can be in video mode without live view on and taking pictures normally. I'll check the dial.

This is the issue with having multiple systems, lol, when things go wrong I get confused how each system does their thing.
I don't think you can take stills in video mode, so then it might indeed be a faulty dial.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The K-1 in B mode actually has two modes: 1) Timer mode where the camera sets the exposure time; and 2) Bulb mode where control of the exposure is passed to an external device (remote IR release, cable release, intervalometer). You toggle between these two modes by pressing the green button on the back of the K-1. Takes a bit to get your head around but becomes one of those bit of engineering pluses when you think about it.
Thank you.
Just saved me hours of hair pulling.
You are right, nice to have 2 modes for this feature.
Another bonus in the custom menu to boot.