Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,194
Bulb mode on k1? Help!

Trying to activate bulb mode , set the dial to B, but somehow the shutter speed setting always overrides it. What do I do? Haha.

Finally got out in the blackest night , and can't for the life of me figure this out.

07-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,349
The K-1 in B mode actually has two modes: 1) Timer mode where the camera sets the exposure time; and 2) Bulb mode where control of the exposure is passed to an external device (remote IR release, cable release, intervalometer). You toggle between these two modes by pressing the green button on the back of the K-1. Takes a bit to get your head around but becomes one of those bit of engineering pluses when you think about it.
07-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,194
Original Poster
Now that I look into it, seems like my dial isn't working. It has never left manual mode so I didn't notice it before - but moving the dials does nothing most of the time. Then it would move to shutter priority sometime, then move back to manual, skipping all the other modes.
Do I have a dial failure or did I somehow have a function on that renders the dial useless?
07-17-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,349
Unfortunately, a few K-1s have experienced mode dial failure with your exact symptoms. Warranty repair is the best course of action.

07-18-2017, 03:06 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 50,444
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Now that I look into it, seems like my dial isn't working. It has never left manual mode so I didn't notice it before - but moving the dials does nothing most of the time. Then it would move to shutter priority sometime, then move back to manual, skipping all the other modes.
Do I have a dial failure or did I somehow have a function on that renders the dial useless?
Are you in video mode by any chance? This disables many of the shooting modes.

But once you get into B, just turn the e-dial until you see B, rather than a multi-minute shutter speed, which can be set up to 20 minutes with the latest firmware.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-18-2017, 06:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,194
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Unfortunately, a few K-1s have experienced mode dial failure with your exact symptoms. Warranty repair is the best course of action.
Thanks @jbinpg!
@adam I dont think so, unless i can be in video mode without live view on and taking pictures normally. I'll check the dial.

This is the issue with having multiple systems, lol, when things go wrong I get confused how each system does their thing.
07-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 50,444
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Thanks @jbinpg!
@adam I dont think so, unless i can be in video mode without live view on and taking pictures normally. I'll check the dial.

This is the issue with having multiple systems, lol, when things go wrong I get confused how each system does their thing.
I don't think you can take stills in video mode, so then it might indeed be a faulty dial.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2018
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 63
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The K-1 in B mode actually has two modes: 1) Timer mode where the camera sets the exposure time; and 2) Bulb mode where control of the exposure is passed to an external device (remote IR release, cable release, intervalometer). You toggle between these two modes by pressing the green button on the back of the K-1. Takes a bit to get your head around but becomes one of those bit of engineering pluses when you think about it.
Thank you.
Just saved me hours of hair pulling.
You are right, nice to have 2 modes for this feature.
Another bonus in the custom menu to boot.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, bulb, bulb mode, full-frame, mode, pentax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't get Image Sync to work for bulb mode on K1 since update. VoiceOfReason Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 1 03-08-2017 10:19 PM
Bulb mode help jtkzoe Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 08-18-2016 05:23 PM
Pentax K-3, Manual Mode won't switch to Av, Bulb, but stays in M Mode scotman55 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 12-05-2015 08:39 AM
Need help with K-m IR Remote that does BULB mode Astronamy Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 5 04-16-2012 12:25 PM
Help needed with bulb mode. Tippon Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 02-08-2012 11:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top