Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What's next for the full frame ecosystem?

Do we have any clues or ideas what we can expect from a K-1 successor? It seems like the rumor mill has been pretty quiet considering we're 16 months into the product lifecycle. Something should have started trickling out. I would expect the "Pentax K" would have vastly superior autofocus, a massive 0.95x hybrid viewfinder, and incredibly fast read/write access time to the dual SD cards.

08-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd expect it to be pretty quiet for another solid year, with the focus being on lenses. At least until a noticeably superior FF sensor hits the market.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would expect a K-1 successor in three years at the earliest.
08-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess ... status quo for a couple of years ... Rats ! That has been said already.

My other guess: a next gen K3 of some sort before another full frame.

08-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless Pentax plans on having more than one FF body (which I doubt), I'm in agreement with the above, I think the K1 will see a 3 year run, maybe longer.
08-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It's going to be quiet from Ricoh I'm guessing for another year and a half or so (since the average lifespan of a FF camera is around 3.5 years or so), since they've said that they plan to keep the K1 around for a while. I think right now they're going to be concentrated/focusing/working on & releasing more FF lenses.
08-03-2017, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its a hard year for camera makers.
Nikon and Canon has already pushed back their D850 and 6D2.

I think the time of a new camera model each year is over (and good riddance).
The development costs and obsolescence is just not realistic.

3yr cycle, meaningful improvements, time to recover RnD costs and clear inventory is the way to go now, imo.

I'd like to see the lenses come first.
That shows the resolve/commitment of the brand.

K1 is plenty of camera, I don't expect if to be 'obsolete' wrt actual image making (ie. not just blind spec chasing) vs anything out there or coming soon.

In fact, I'd hope they do a MILC the size of my MZ-5n rather than a K1ii that has 42mp.

08-03-2017, 12:56 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

3yr cycle, meaningful improvements, time to recover RnD costs and clear inventory is the way to go now, imo
That's how I've see it the last couple years, all the camera company's have pretty much been popping out camera's left & right, and in alot of cases very little difference between them (e.g. Nikon's D3000/5000 series). I get that they want to give people alot of options on what to get, but there's a point when there's way to many options out there and there's little difference/very minor updates between most of those options and it confuses those who are upgrading and especially the people who are just getting into photography, which I believe why there's been a dip in dslr/mirrorless sales the last couple years.
08-03-2017, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

In the Pentax K1 I have a camera that can produce prints of any size I'm likely to want. Apart from the luxury of faster autofocus, there's not much I'd change. This apparent obsolescence every couple of years is an illusion sold to us. One friend is happily using his K5 and others are using cameras that are a lot older. For my fine art photography​ I still use an ancient Hasselblad.

But improvements do make photography easier and occasionally more fun. It would be nice to see some more lenses. At the moment my favourite/ sharpest lenses are from Samyang and Sigma. I'm considering converting a Zeiss or Leica to fit but I'd rather not fuss with manual focus. The 70-200 looks nice, but is too bulky. I'd like to see more modern full frame lenses.

Another avenue is the rising importance of video. The K1 isn't good at this and while that's okay for a camera, it's the future so pros will increasingly demand it.
08-04-2017, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Lenses are the only things that will happen in the foreseeable future. We know of the 50 and 85 already, I'm guessing some consumer zooms will also come.

Now, as to what we WISH for... A FF equivalent of the 21 or 15, just as good for starbursts? A Wireless-master AF200 version? A full frame 60-250 without the need to modify it?
08-04-2017, 10:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm actually pretty content with my lenses. The would have to be over the top awesome for me to get into. Like, the lens would have to blow away all resolution records while still giving that Popping Pentax Pastel rendering.

If FF bodies are only updated every three years or so then 2019 is going to be one heck of a year!! Enter the "Pentax K".
08-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

rofl.......
Wh... Again??

No, honestly, i am totally with you , when you say 42MP is too much.
Actually, i would exchange the 36MP in the K-1 for a better AF system.

and exactly that(core specs, af, burst) is the reason why:
Nikon is Sorry That the D850 Sold Out Before It's Even Out

08-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
rofl.......
Wh... Again??

No, honestly, i am totally with you , when you say 42MP is too much.
Actually, i would exchange the 36MP in the K-1 for a better AF system.

and exactly that(core specs, af, burst) is the reason why:
Nikon is Sorry That the D850 Sold Out Before It's Even Out

D850 = K-1 in terms of oversubscription of initial production then.
08-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm kind of dreading k-1 successor rumors I'm prone to strong GAS and I just want to be content with my camera for a while first world problems I know
08-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
D850 = K-1 in terms of oversubscription of initial production then.
you too monochrome?

....think we are far away from the D850 retail numbers ... Guess the ratio K-1 to D850 could be pictured by the namings of the cameras.
And Nikon doing much much more advertising and more support is not the only reason.
(Think about photographic core specs -AF- and "popular features" - VIDEO!! - )

I throw in my 2 cents n say:
I can have a K-1 by tomorrow, but even if i have twice the money, i will not be able to lay my hands on a D850 before next year. And that has reasons ...
Reasons everybody should think about for themselves before posting something contrary to their honest conclusion in here.