Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 06:54 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
I get the criticisms of the system. There are plenty of quirks with each system including Pentax. I do think the Pixel Shift technology is amazing and when it works, it produces some fantastic shots. How useful is it in real world outdoor shooting for something like landscapes with wind, moving clouds etc.? Long exposures tend to go hand in hand in landscape photography and wind and water movement are an issue, even with standard long exposures. I agree that in studio it's an amazing piece of tech. I also believe that Sony pricing has been in line with the competition throughout it's lifespan. The a7 and a7r were very competitively priced at the time of release. The a9 and a7rIII are equal to DLSR's in my opinion (but some may disagree). I also feel that the main issue with the camera line with the a7II, a7rII and a7sII was Autofocus. I would argue that Pentax is pretty similar to the older models and beat by the a9 and a7rIII. The sony cameras also have a lot of used cameras and lenses available on another forum that I frequent for reasonable prices.

I will agree with the argument that the Pentax cameras usually offer the most technology for the least money. Sony is always overpriced and I buy virtually all of my gear used for a lot of savings. If Pentax AF was better I would love to get a K1 and 150-450 to use for wildlife shooting.
You shoot wildlife? Who knew...
The K-3 is my wildlife camera for soo many reasons. But hey, the K-1 is doable, frustrating, but doable.

02-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #62
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Market share isn't everything, especially not in a shrinking market. Increasing your market share by entering new market segments is expensive, both in R&D and in marketing. If Pentax' existing products are hardly known it will take a huge investment to get going in a new segment. In a shrinking market they might never be able to recuperate, never mind make a profit, no matter the market share.

When companies are reluctant to make such systems I think they have their reasons.
02-23-2018, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You shoot wildlife? Who knew...
?

02-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Not bad....
You might like the 300 plus club, The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses. - Page 1844 - PentaxForums.com It's one of the most popular clubs on the forum.
But honestly, I don't think I've seen your work before....

02-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Not bad....
You might like the 300 plus club, The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses. - Page 1844 - PentaxForums.com
But honestly, I don't think I've seen your work before....
It's ok. I haven't posted pictures here a lot since I don't use Pentax gear and wasn't sure how that would be accepted. I actually don't care what gear people use to be honest, it's the shots in the end that matter. I've always enjoyed following the Pentax users who are generally a "down to earth" crowd.

Thanks for the heads up on that thread, I'll check it out.
02-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #66
Pentaxian

It's ok. I haven't posted pictures here a lot since I don't use Pentax gear and wasn't sure how that would be accepted. I actually don't care what gear people use to be honest, it's the shots in the end that matter. I've always enjoyed following the Pentax users who are generally a "down to earth" crowd.

Thanks for the heads up on that thread, I'll check it out.
The 300 plus club is one of the ones that ignores the Pentax gear rule. We have a number of long term members who have switched to other brands, and so far all are welcome.
02-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #67
Veteran Member

The 300 plus club is one of the ones that ignores the Pentax gear rule. We have a number of long term members who have switched to other brands, and so far all are welcome.
Good to know, thanks.

02-24-2018, 04:19 AM   #68
Veteran Member

I am too in the camp wishing for a Pentax FF MILC, but with K mount. I have quite a few K mount lenses and have or have had multiple Pentax DSLRs (in chronological order K20D, K100D, K-x, K-5) and I haven't been really happy with the AF of any mentioned model. Even after careful calibration the AF has been hit and miss at best. While I realize that most members here don't share my view and that using K mount would make the camera bigger than with a new mount with a shorter registration length, that's what I'd wish for. A full frame mirrorless with accurate contrast detect AF. So far I have not wanted to spend money on another phase detect AF Pentax (K-1 that is).

EDIT: AF accuracy (in addition to weight and size of course) is one of the reasons my Pentax gear have been gathering dust last years while I have been using my m43 gear.
02-24-2018, 06:04 AM - 3 Likes   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I get the criticisms of the system. There are plenty of quirks with each system including Pentax. I do think the Pixel Shift technology is amazing and when it works, it produces some fantastic shots. How useful is it in real world outdoor shooting for something like landscapes with wind, moving clouds etc.? Long exposures tend to go hand in hand in landscape photography and wind and water movement are an issue, even with standard long exposures. I agree that in studio it's an amazing piece of tech. I also believe that Sony pricing has been in line with the competition throughout it's lifespan. The a7 and a7r were very competitively priced at the time of release. The a9 and a7rIII are equal to DLSR's in my opinion (but some may disagree). I also feel that the main issue with the camera line with the a7II, a7rII and a7sII was Autofocus. I would argue that Pentax is pretty similar to the older models and beat by the a9 and a7rIII. The sony cameras also have a lot of used cameras and lenses available on another forum that I frequent for reasonable prices.

I will agree with the argument that the Pentax cameras usually offer the most technology for the least money. Sony is always overpriced and I buy virtually all of my gear used for a lot of savings. If Pentax AF was better I would love to get a K1 and 150-450 to use for wildlife shooting.
Pixel Shift works for most real world situations any more. Just use a software that supports motion correction like (free) Raw Therapee. The benefit is significant for landscape photos.

Country Road and Tree

Horses at Dawn

Waterfall

04-19-2018, 02:41 AM   #70

Original Poster
Pentax Image-Quality Power in... simplicity !

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pixel Shift works for most real world situations any more. Just use a software that supports motion correction like (free) Raw Therapee. The benefit is significant for landscape photos...
First, Congrats to you Rondec for your perfect illustration of...
" Pentax Image-Quality Power "

... I get the criticisms of the [ Sony ] system. There are plenty of quirks with each system including Pentax. I do think the Pixel Shift technology is amazing and when it works, it produces some fantastic shots... I will agree with the argument that the Pentax cameras usually offer the most technology for the least money. Sony is always overpriced and I buy virtually all of my gear used for a lot of savings...
I mostly agree with all that...
Except that Sony-Camera is somewhat the Champion of Complications !

Try to google this :
« Sony A7, A9...
11+7-bit-Compression-Algorithm, 12-bit-Crippled-Raw, AA-Filter-Reflection, Banding, Blinking, Compression-Artifact, Cooked-Raw, Concentric-Banding, PDAF Striping, Raw-Cooking, Sensor-Reflection, Shutter-Shock, Star-Eater, Star-Eating, Striping... »

Don't google all the items at the same time : google is an " Advertising Placing tool "...
... Not a " Search Engine " as they advertise it !

Each New Sony Camera seems to invent a New Problem !
From the Sensor to the RAW File, Sony-way is a Labyrinthic Process

Finally, a Firmware Update (which is Complicated too) solves the Problem, but...
From the Sensor to the RAW File, things are so Simple and Understandable with... Pentax !
Don't you think so ?

Last edited by geo444; 04-19-2018 at 08:29 AM.
04-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geo444 Quote
First, Congrats to you Rondec for your perfect illustration of...
" Pentax Image-Quality Power "

I mostly agree with all that...
Except that Sony-Camera is somewhat the Champion of Complications !

Try to google this :
« Sony A7, A9...
11+7-bit-Compression-Algorithm, 12-bit-Crippled-Raw, AA-Filter-Reflection, Banding, Blinking, Compression-Artifact, Cooked-Raw, Concentric-Banding, PDAF Striping, Raw-Cooking, Sensor-Reflection, Shutter-Shock, Star-Eater, Star-Eating, Striping... »

Don't google all the items at the same time : google is an " Advertising Placing tool "...
... Not a " Search Engine " as they advertise it !

Each New Sony Camera seems to invent a New Problem !
From the Sensor to the RAW File, Sony-way is a Labyrinthic Process

Finally, a Firmware Update (which is Complicated too) solves the Problem, but...
From the Sensor to the RAW File, things are so Simple and Understandable with... Pentax !
Don't you think so ?

I have read a lot of the criticisms, but in the real world haven't ran into problems in my shooting. Have you ever actually used a Sony FE mount camera? To me the truth is in the images.
04-19-2018, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have read a lot of the criticisms, but in the real world haven't ran into problems in my shooting. Have you ever actually used a Sony FE mount camera? To me the truth is in the images.
100% correct. I have 4 Sony bodies, and have had no problems at all. Just because it's on the Internet, doesn't mean its significant.
04-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Mirrorless is dominated by electronics. More and more functionalities are coming from sensor. Does these factors reduce the cost of manufacturing and designing MILC? People with experience in camera manufacturing may know answer for this.

There is a risk factor in not having MILC line of cameras. I think Pentax should keep the MILC door open; should not put all the eggs in one basket.
04-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #74
Pentaxian

A Pentax spokesman at some point in the last few years said "Mirrorless isn't there yet". I've seen no indication their position has changed.
04-21-2018, 05:18 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
To me, Q is a system that complements DSLR, but also a competitor of the Sony RX100. Q5 needs external viewfinder, fast AF and a bright tiltable display, a pair of fast lenses and an AF K-converter.
To my ears, in the DPReview interview at CP+
DPReview's interview with Ricoh Imaging - PentaxForums.com
they slammed the door on the "Q". When asked about MILC, they immediately turned the conversation back to K-mount. I value my "canary", but if it ever fails I will have to hope that Q-S1's are still available under their policy which I translate as "if you still purchase them, we will continue to sell them"