Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2018, 05:32 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
To my ears, in the DPReview interview at CP+
DPReview's interview with Ricoh Imaging - PentaxForums.com
they slammed the door on the "Q". When asked about MILC, they immediately turned the conversation back to K-mount. I value my "canary", but if it ever fails I will have to hope that Q-S1's are still available under their policy which I translate as "if you still purchase them, we will continue to sell them"
I bought one because they had announced the macro for it. They stuck it to me with that one. I was thinking lightweight canoe tripping system. A good 5% to 10% of my images on canoe trips are macros. It's a small percentage, but I'm not giving it up. I'll give up the Q first.

04-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To my ears, in the DPReview interview at CP+
DPReview's interview with Ricoh Imaging - PentaxForums.com
they slammed the door on the "Q". When asked about MILC, they immediately turned the conversation back to K-mount. I value my "canary", but if it ever fails I will have to hope that Q-S1's are still available under their policy which I translate as "if you still purchase them, we will continue to sell them"
You are probably right.
First K1 and FF lenses, then APS and 645.
Later possibly a Q if it's not time for a K80.
04-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Perhaps lay off the wine for a bit and spend some of the time you waste on fantasy typing marathons on an engineering degree, so you can apply for a job at Ricoh to quickly knock out all this super-easy stuff?
The fellow is having fun and I don't think he is in need of an intervention.

It's fine to dream and there have been some replies to this thread with credible reasons why this flying machine idea is not likely to make it off the ground :^)

---------- Post added 04-22-18 at 08:20 AM ----------

With this idea, they would have to convince users of other systems to buy the Pentax MILC and I think the Pentax AF performance would be a major hindrance. Pentax AF may be suitable for a great number of potential customers but people often buy based on what they think they need or what they anticipate needing in the near future... and I think many will believe they need better AF.

They would have to convince Pentax users to buy this Pentax MILC. I might be interested if it is smaller and lighter. Taking a quick look at how Sony has implemented their mirrorless camera system, I see the lenses are no smaller as they appear to have an adapter grafted onto the back of each lens. Larger-than-necessary lenses make the system less appealing to me. It is like strapping a Mini camera onto the back of a cargo container lens. So, for this Pentax MILC, I would like to see smaller lenses native to the new mount and Pentax making lenses isn't part of the proposed idea....

This Pentax MILC might be interesting to me because I could use some of the smaller Nikon primes.. looks like Pentax will not be making small primes and small lenses even if they aren't as preciously perfect as the new 50mm lens do interest me... but the body would need to focus those Nikon primes.

Comparing Pentax pixel shift images to images by all other manufacturers is a false comparison. The Pentax body has the capability to produce nicer images and that is a plus but I think the average consumer will not make a purchasing decision based on a capability that is useful in only some situations.. imagine if Pentax advertised only PS images to show the capability of their camera and the consumer learned post purchase that the quality of image is less for any picture taken in the majority of time that person will use the camera...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-22-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Removed further reference to quoted post
04-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
With this idea, they would have to convince users of other systems to buy the Pentax MILC and I think the Pentax AF performance would be a major hindrance. Pentax AF may be suitable for a great number of potential customers but people often buy based on what they think they need or what they anticipate needing in the near future... and I think many will believe they need better AF.

They would have to convince Pentax users to buy this Pentax MILC. I might be interested if it is smaller and lighter. Taking a quick look at how Sony has implemented their mirrorless camera system, I see the lenses are no smaller as they appear to have an adapter grafted onto the back of each lens. Larger-than-necessary lenses make the system less appealing to me. It is like strapping a Mini camera onto the back of a cargo container lens. So, for this Pentax MILC, I would like to see smaller lenses native to the new mount and Pentax making lenses isn't part of the proposed idea....

This Pentax MILC might be interesting to me because I could use some of the smaller Nikon primes.. looks like Pentax will not be making small primes and small lenses even if they aren't as preciously perfect as the new 50mm lens do interest me... but the body would need to focus those Nikon primes.

Comparing Pentax pixel shift images to images by all other manufacturers is a false comparison. The Pentax body has the capability to produce nicer images and that is a plus but I think the average consumer will not make a purchasing decision based on a capability that is useful in only some situations.. imagine if Pentax advertised only PS images to show the capability of their camera and the consumer learned post purchase that the quality of image is less for any picture taken in the majority of time that person will use the camera...
Autofocus on MILC is completely different from that on DSLR .... so Pentax wouldn't be hindered by their current issues, but they would have to figure out this new thing. I'm not sure it makes sense for Pentax to develop another lens system for MILC, since they seem to be stressed already with developing new FF lenses {and I interpret their answer about MILC in the recent DPReview interview to say they aren't interested in anything beyond standard K-mount right now}

04-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I interpret their answer about MILC
they aren't interested
Yes....but they will sell stocks of Q stuff but not develop anything....their answers when asked are like broken records.
04-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Autofocus on MILC is completely different from that on DSLR .... ...
Yes, it is different...
Pentax has been working on PDAF for a few years and is behind that of any other SLR manufacturer. It is possible, but not likely, that if Pentax were to move to MILC the performance of their on-sensor PDAF would meet or exceed that of any other MILC camera manufacturer right from the start and without even a few years to perfect it... if that were to happen, there would still be the reputation of poor AF performance to overcome.
05-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There are plenty of folks who do adapt lenses to mirrorless cameras -- we've seen folks doing it with K mount lenses on NEX cameras for a long time. That said, it has to be admitted that for most photographers, the goal is not the accumulation of lenses, neither old, cheap lenses or Leica gems, but rather to have a camera body that allows for the direct mounting of a few lenses that work well with auto focus and metering.

My guess is that most folks who shoot ILCs have a 24/8-70 equivalent and a telephoto like a 70-300 or maybe a super zoom of some sort. The number that actually even move forward to purchase primes is relatively small.

Sony has sold a large number of NEX cameras. If even five or ten percent are being used for adapting lenses, that is still a large number, but it still is not the primary way that most folks use their ILCs.
That was the initial reason I picked up a used A7R. The Sony with adapter was easier to use with older K and M glass than a modern Pentax. I don’t see Pentax having the resources to do it, but a K02 which did little more than add an EVF would be extremely useful.

05-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Yes, it is different...
Pentax has been working on PDAF for a few years and is behind that of any other SLR manufacturer. It is possible, but not likely, that if Pentax were to move to MILC the performance of their on-sensor PDAF would meet or exceed that of any other MILC camera manufacturer right from the start and without even a few years to perfect it... if that were to happen, there would still be the reputation of poor AF performance to overcome.
Ya well, shoot a few days with the DA 55-300 PLM, then get back to us.
05-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
Sony is always overpriced and I buy virtually all of my gear used for a lot of savings.
So it's not just me doing that

Sony seems to always have a surprising amount factory re-furbished stuff turning up on the market here at about half price (my late NEX-5 was re-furb, ditto my my A5000 and A6000), which suggests to me that Sony camera customer return rates must be pretty high. The cameras I got refurb were all very, very low shutter count, which suggests those who originally bought the camera quickly gave up in frustration with something Sony related - probably the body ergonomics or menus. The next camera these folks bought was probably a conventional Canon or Nikon DSLR, I bet.
05-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So it's not just me doing that

Sony seems to always have a surprising amount factory re-furbished stuff turning up on the market here at about half price (my late NEX-5 was re-furb, ditto my my A5000 and A6000), which suggests to me that Sony camera customer return rates must be pretty high. The cameras I got refurb were all very, very low shutter count, which suggests those who originally bought the camera quickly gave up in frustration with something Sony related - probably the body ergonomics or menus. The next camera these folks bought was probably a conventional Canon or Nikon DSLR, I bet.
You’re probably right. I like the Sony e mount bodies, but they aren’t marvels in ergonomics and the menu system is bad.
05-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #86
Veteran Member

I’ve not found the ergonomics on the E-mount Sonys worse than most others, though the menus are. I think some of us are just spoiled to Pentax bodies. I own both the K3 and D7200, and while they are of similar vintage and share a similar sensor, the Pentax balance between external switches and electronic controls is far superior.