Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Lots are wondering that as well!

Dont hold your breathe unless its good for another 18-24 months,ha ha

Whats a bigger wonder is what features it will bring and at what price point.

Yeah probably be a while.

I'd love if they made it a mirroless, but keep the K-mount (I'd want to keep the legacy lens compatibility)
That would be my dream camera.

09-02-2017, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #17
mee
Veteran Member

I've only briefly used the A7 but was left aghast at the poor performance of the EVF. It is like looking into a screen of a VHS recording with a delay.. at least in moderate lighting. The newer mirrorless cameras perform much better in this regard. A7 shows it's age.

I'd say skip the A7 too.. unless you can really deal with the EVF.

Plus the ergonomics just weren't there imo. The K-1 fits better in the hand (despite its noticeable heft).

I'd say, if possible, try before you buy!!
09-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I've only briefly used the A7 but was left aghast at the poor performance of the EVF. It is like looking into a screen of a VHS recording with a delay.. at least in moderate lighting. The newer mirrorless cameras perform much better in this regard. A7 shows it's age.

I'd say skip the A7 too.. unless you can really deal with the EVF.

Plus the ergonomics just weren't there imo. The K-1 fits better in the hand (despite its noticeable heft).

I'd say, if possible, try before you buy!!

The EVF was one of my main desires for the A7, so if its crap that's good to know; A7 seems less desirable now.
09-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
A7 seems less desirable now.
The attraction of a low price is far outweighed by the disappointment of inferior quality, you get what you pay for.[COLOR="Silver"]

09-02-2017, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

You actually need both

A7 for manual lenses
K1 for AF and best IQ and usability

My A7 is modded with the Kolari thin filter mod, in fact, its a mark lower if its w/o this mod imo. (for my needs, so YMMV).
Its my digital ME camera and exclusively for Pentax MF lenses as well as for RF and other orphan mount lenses.
Since its like a digital ME, I don't menu dig much with it.
AF is slowish (as many CDAF cameras are despite the marketing claims year after year; circa 2014)
Its only faster if you expand the CDAF area, but that increases the margin of focus error since it will look for the most contrasty item within the focus box.

K1 is way above the A7 in usability and IQ.
The downsides being size/weight and no EVF for MF.
On the latter, its ok if I am shooting slow stuff like landscapes and still life since the LCD works fine for these.
09-04-2017, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got my K1 and the usability and and quiet shutter are just so much better than my A7. The fast manual lenses were easier to focus on the A7, but not so much the case for slow lenses, such as my Pentax-K 28mm F3.5.
09-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

K-1 may win but the A7 has the "attraction factor"

1.)It doesnt look difficult.(even the firmware is close to the simplicity of Pentaxes)
2.)The resolution is lower so it doesnt make LR more laggy than it already is, when filled up with 24MP raws(not everybody can effort the newest PC esp. when your into photography what costs a lot)
3.)A7 - AF seems to be better even if it isnt. (though sony lenses themselves actually are focusing much faster then Pentax glass)
4.)A7 does actually much better video(60p at FullHD instead of 30p or 60i as on K-1
5.)New FE mount FF bodies get pumped out nearly every 6 months (at least it looks like)

09-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #23

Not to steer people off topic but what about k1 vs a7ii and the a7rii. I've seen all these cameras for compairible prices used. The hardest thing for me to cope with is the limited selection of modern glass compatible with the k1. Also second hand knowledge that the af is much worse than on a Sony ii
09-19-2017, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
the af is much worse
Maybe for hardcore sports action. I have used both and cannot agree
with your second hand information regarding AF in non-sporting situations.
Many of the assertions regarding Pentax K-1 AF are made by those who have
never used one. They are merely repeating second hand information.
09-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
Not to steer people off topic but what about k1 vs a7ii and the a7rii. I've seen all these cameras for compairible prices used. The hardest thing for me to cope with is the limited selection of modern glass compatible with the k1. Also second hand knowledge that the af is much worse than on a Sony ii
I own the A7II and the K-1. AF on the A7II is better if you have a moving subject. Not a huge difference, but it is noticeable. Image quality and overall performance of the K-1 is much better than the A7II. The A7rII is much better AF than the K-1, but its over $1,000 more expensive. I would sell my A7II before selling my K-1. I will probably sell my A7II soon and either go to the A7rII or wait on A9 prices to come down to the $3,500 range.

If you don't need tank like build quality and you don't mind paying 30% more for glass, then get the A7rII. The Sony build quality is pretty average and I don't really trust their weather sealing. The lenses are very nice, but very pricey. The shutter is hard, loud, and makes the camera sound cheap. Menus suck and controls are not the best. If the K-1 has the A7rII AF I wouldn't even consider buying into the Sony system. I don't shoot manual focus glass though and for people who do, the Sony wins hands down.
09-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If the K-1 has the A7rII AF
The K-1ii will probably have the sensor from this $$ony,i cant see them going in any other direction(???)at this stage.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I will probably sell my A7II soon and either go to the A7rII or wait on A9 prices to come down to the $3,500 range.
The A7iii is around the corner,rumoured specs are pretty good.The menu will be updated like in the A9,same AF system(693points)Not a lot of info at this stage but it shouldnt be too long.
10-29-2017, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
The EVF was one of my main desires for the A7, so if its crap that's good to know; A7 seems less desirable now.
The EVF is good if you have "vf effect settings on" and have adjusted diopter for your eyes. Some people love evf and some people hate it. The A7 is a very good camera for the price but so is the K1.
11-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #28

Photos: Albums
Having recently purchased a K1, I have to say that it really will depend on your usage. If you're doing still lifes, landscapes, astro, or anything you're using a tripod for, the K1 is absolutely a fantastic camera hands down. Gorgeous image quality, intuitive controls...it's great. The glass situation does suck, but only in the sense that you're looking for very specific 3rd party lenses (i.e. you want some of the really fast f/1.4 Sigma Art lenses, most of which don't come in Pentax mounts). With the upcoming 11-18, you've got (I believe) everything covered from 11-200mm with the Pentax branded lenses. I've got the 15-30 and 24-70, and they're just fantastic. So great that I'm almost able to convince myself not to get the Sigma 35mm F/1.4 for the camera.

I will say, I'd be extremely hesitant on using the K1 for things like sports, concerts, or wildlife, or anything with really quick motions. I've had some bad luck so far trying to track things that are moving. Chances are going to be pretty good that I pick up a Nikon D500 to use for the things I listed above.

Also, isn't the battery life on the A7rii absolutely atrocious? I know that the a9 and a7riii look to have decent battery life though.

With that having been said, if they could make a metabones adapter that would adapt K-mount lenses to E-Mount, I'd be all over an a7 for action stuff.
11-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Welp...I did it. K1 is on it's way.

Someone linked in the "price watch" section: Adorama selling a used "demo" unit, limited Silver edition with Battery grip for only 1799.....and I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I do still wish it had a kickass EVF, but I'll manage.

Last edited by Leumas; 11-09-2017 at 06:39 PM.
01-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

i'm actually strongly debating on the A7II as a backup to my k1.
whats interesting me is more lens options and third party support;
just a different variety.
the 85mm 1.8 is very tempting.

what is keeping me from it is that the cameras are reported as 'splash and dust proof' yet are far from it as they freeze when you sneeze on them. thus the K1 still rules over the sony cameras.

i'll prolly buy the a7II once the III is out though. and i'll only use that as a backup