Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
i'll prolly buy the a7II once the III is out though. and i'll only use that as a backup
Depends what the price drops to?...the A7 is not expensive for FF right now,but dont take any Sony out in the rain,let alone put it under a sprinkler!

01-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #32

The A7ii(much more refined than the first imo) and 85mm FE is a great combo.
Add the little 28mm and you have a pretty nice little one two.

Used A7ii are in the sub $900 range right now. After the 3 arrives they'll be hard to pass for those looking.

Last edited by mnhoj; 01-12-2018 at 09:36 PM.
01-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting to see the comparisons of the two cameras. I think that it makes sense for most Pentax users to choose the k1 unless they use manual lenses only.

I’m surprised by all the negative comments about the EVF on the a7. While there is lag in low light and some difficulty in bright light, I find the “what you see is what you get” from the EVF superior 90%of the time for my shooting.

The AF is ok in decent light on the a7 as long as you use fast lenses. I don’t care for slow lenses, so it works for me. There is a part of me that has always admired the strengths of Pentax, but the lack of full frame lens support and 3rd party support made me go all in with Sony.

I started with the lowly A7 and have been building up a lens lineup of quality lenses. I buy most of my gear used off of another forum and the growing user base of Sony makes that easier now than ever. I’ll patiently wait until I can afford a used a7r iii and then I will have an excellent all around camera paired with a full lineup of lenses that I already purchased.

If the k1 had a better AF system, I would love it for wildlife. Tracking is a must though and it’s just not where it should be sadly.
01-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #34
Veteran Member

for what its worth, sony is beating the competition of canikon in the last year or so due to sony being so mutli-diverse in their industries. canon has printers, cameras, lenses going for them. nikon has cameras, lenses, glasses lenses, telescopes etc going for them. pentax has medical equipment/cameras going for them.

sony has: cameras, lenses, tvs, music systems, computers, game stations, MOVIES, MUSIC, STUDIOS and so much more. hence why they are able to afford new models every 6 months or so. pentax is really struggling with that.

01-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
entax has medical equipment/cameras going for them.
Pentax is owned by Ricoh they have a few more products than you listed.
01-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
the k1 unless they use manual lenses only.
The K-1 can shoot manually and its quite good.

I started with the lowly A7
Thats an apt description, but its a start which is what matters.

a used a7r iii
Yes, lets see if they last....Its just been trialled under a sprinkler against 5D mk4/D850/Em1(2) and it failed miserably. $$$$ony have a ways to go with their WR.

If the k1 had a better AF system, I would love it for wildlife. Tracking is a must though and it’s just not where it should be sadly.
It was released as a "field" camera....RI/Pentax's Entry model into FF.U$ 1799 as opposed to the $0ny high tracking capable A7r3 you desire.US3199 on release.The K-1 is good value for the price.The A7r3 would be too IF the WR wasnt substandard.

The A7r3 is a greatly capable device thats handicapped by its vulnerability....keep yours dry when it arrives!
03-09-2018, 12:17 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

The A7r3 is a greatly capable device thats handicapped by its vulnerability....keep yours dry when it arrives!
Has the k1 been put through some decent wr testing against a canon or nikon body?

03-09-2018, 06:49 AM   #38
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
Has the k1 been put through some decent wr testing against a canon or nikon body?
Not that I have seen. But is there any reason to believe the K-1 isn't at least as good as the K-7 and K-5?

03-09-2018, 07:46 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I’m surprised by all the negative comments about the EVF on the a7. While there is lag in low light and some difficulty in bright light, I find the “what you see is what you get” from the EVF superior 90%of the time for my shooting. .
Many of the negative comments have biological roots. For some percentage of the population, even a small lag in the EVF induces eyestrain and headaches. Thus, anyone who is thinking about a mirrorless camera should spend some time with the camera before buying it to see if they can tolerate the EVF or not. (And if you've ever experienced motion sickness, car sickness, or sea sickness, there's a much higher chance you'll hate an EVF.)

But even aside from the eyestrain issue, the deeper point isn't whether EVFs or OVFs are better. Both technologies have significant pros and cons. Instead, they are simply different ways of seeing the world and it's up to each photographer to decide which kind of viewfinder is best for them.
03-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not that I have seen. But is there any reason to believe the K-1 isn't at least as good as the K-7 and K-5?

PENTAX DUST AND WEATHER SEALING IN AFGHANISTAN - YouTube
I haven’t really trusted my pentax wr since I killed one after hiking in light rain for a couple hours. Maybe my fault for not wiping the water off it now and then, maybe it had a bad seal, maybe I didn’t get all the flaps closed 100%; been curious how it stacks up against water compared to the other brands ever since
03-09-2018, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Many of the negative comments have biological roots. For some percentage of the population, even a small lag in the EVF induces eyestrain and headaches. Thus, anyone who is thinking about a mirrorless camera should spend some time with the camera before buying it to see if they can tolerate the EVF or not. (And if you've ever experienced motion sickness, car sickness, or sea sickness, there's a much higher chance you'll hate an EVF.)

But even aside from the eyestrain issue, the deeper point isn't whether EVFs or OVFs are better. Both technologies have significant pros and cons. Instead, they are simply different ways of seeing the world and it's up to each photographer to decide which kind of viewfinder is best for them.
I have K-1 and also olympus camera, oly has quite large EVF, and it has been said that new one is better than E-M5 II .. but I just have to say that it is not something that I really like, compared to K3 or let alone K-1 OVF. Sony might be couple grade above that, but still, I do not like it. I really like to see my self. Also the fact that my camera(trying to save some battery with that) shuts it self down after a while. so when you pull camera up and try to look through, you have to swithch it on/wake it up. I love looking through VF even when camera is not on, when I’m looking what I’m gonna shoot and how. for that I have to turn on that thing, but with OVF I wont have to. so even little thing like that can turn things down/unpleasant/kill the mojo. as I said, it could be that A7 is different, but still. just my 2 cents...and about that WR of pentax. It is as good as they promise. and it works also in subfreeze temp. weak spot would be lens, if anything, but camera is more than fine.
03-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
For some percentage of the population, even a small lag in the EVF induces eyestrain and headaches. Thus, anyone who is thinking about a mirror-less camera should spend some time with the camera before buying it to see if they can tolerate the EVF or not.
Thanks for mentioning this. I thought that I was just being overly negative about EVF's, but every time I look through on I I didn't like the sensation. The thought of dealing with one for a whole day really bothered me. I had to rule the Sony out, and since I have a 645D that I love, I started thinking that the K-1 might offer a good solution for a high ISO body. This is a most interesting discussion.
03-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #43
Pentaxian

It depends on the lenses you already have.
The A7 works better for MF lenses.
In fact, thats all I use it for (for my LTM, M mount; FD mount; to M42/K mount manual lenses)

The A7II is what you should look at, as it solved most of the issues of the A7.
Namely sensor reflection; slower AF; no faster PDAF (useful with some AF adapters); color cast in corners with some rangefinder lenses.
The unsolved problem is the thick sensor stack of the A7 series which does make edges poorer for many old wides (and even some 50mm like the Leica 50mm summicron and summilux.)

The K1 is the better camera if you want AF on your lenses.
Also much better user interface and features relevant to photo taking.
Pixel shift is really awesome in fine details coupled with Raw Therapee processing
03-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a lot of Leica R, Nikon AI, pre-Ai, and M42 Ziess, and Hasselblad V lenses. I am moving out of Leica M. Mostly because I cannot continue to spend on their continuing camera upgrades. I don't want go the LS digital route either. I like to shoot prime lenses, manual focusing, And switch between digital and film. I don't much like to work with autofocus. I do like the Pentax 645D user interface and features as well as the optical view finder.
04-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #45

without wanting to quote several people in this.

comparison with Pentax vs Sony for WR, there's no challenge. honestly. The Sony has been disassembled to see where the sealing is. The entire bottom plate lacks weather sealing, which is terrible considering that if it should get semi submerged you're pretty much screwed. only around the chipset really have they implemented dust sealing and a few gaskets for moisture.

Pentax on the other hand including the K1, and perhaps most so. has full body weather sealing and there are several videos on youtube, of including the k1 where it is under a flowing river taking pictures. Something you should never do for yourself, but that reassures you rain won't harm the beast.

As I said earlier, from what I have seen between the two bodies, there's no challenge when it comes to WR. Which is a shame considering that if you live in the tempered belt, you'll more than likely experience rainy seasons.

EVF always beats an OVF for manual focus. Especially if it's a higher resolution like Oly and Sony. the What you see is what you get is excellent for day photography. It goes out the window as soon as the light decreases. EVF kills the battery on the other hand. Fair trade off.

the only comparison I've seen between Pentax, Canon and Nikon is build quality. Where both Canon and Nikon feels plasticy in comparison. However it says nothing for the sealing. Both Canon and Nikons top line have excellent WR. The difference is that Pentax carries it onto the cheaper cameras which you will not find on any other brand.