Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2017, 02:31 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
We are debating lenses and expensive gear. Meanwhile, others don't need Canon, Fuji, Olympus, Nikon, Pentax, Sony... The world is changing. A few more projects like this and we can say goodbye for good to compact cameras.

TIME's Latest Cover Photos were Shot on the iPhone
I know you're joking, but every one of those covers looks the same. The background is different in them, but they still have the same look and same lighting. They just look like snap shots to me in an average sort of way.

09-13-2017, 03:54 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I know you're joking, but every one of those covers looks the same. The background is different in them, but they still have the same look and same lighting. They just look like snap shots to me in an average sort of way.
Yes, it's true. But look at these ones. The first and the last image are excelent for a phone camera. It's impressive how much these little cameras/sensors improved over the last 2-3 years. Fun Photography Hack Uses Big Mac Box as Lighting Rig
09-13-2017, 05:25 AM   #63
Pentaxian

The world indeed has changed. It is no longer flat...
Oh!...it was the last time i looked outside.

Well, just went and had a look...its trolling countryside...no longer flat!
09-13-2017, 05:28 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it's true. But look at these ones. The first and the last image are excelent for a phone camera. It's impressive how much these little cameras/sensors improved over the last 2-3 years. Fun Photography Hack Uses Big Mac Box as Lighting Rig
Do you like those? I think they are terrible. They might work if you are trying for an "old sailor" type look, but you can clearly see the enlarging of facial features you get because the i phone lens isn't long enough to do real portrait work and the filters that they used are way to gritty for most people to be satisfied with them.

Lighting is probably the key to portrait photography and while you can cobble together things to make it work with an iphone or Galaxy phone, life is far simpler with an ILC and external flash of some kind.

I think the place where camera phones do best is where you want a photo journalistic look and don't care if everything is in focus.

09-13-2017, 05:28 AM   #65
Pentaxian

TIME's Latest Cover Photos were Shot on the iPhone
But not on the X model, even the senior VP could NOT get his face recognised,the security is sooo good!

Last edited by surfar; 09-13-2017 at 12:38 PM.
09-13-2017, 05:58 AM   #66
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's impressive how much these little cameras/sensors improved over the last 2-3 years.
Not really. Nokia 808 from 2012 and Nokia Lumia 1020 from 2013, if you need image stabilization, are still the best cameras in mobile phones. Current phones are too thin for proper camera.
09-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Not really. Nokia 808 from 2012 and Nokia Lumia 1020 from 2013, if you need image stabilization, are still the best cameras in mobile phones. Current phones are too thin for proper camera.
I think I still have the Lumia 1020 (a yellow one) hidden in a box. I loved Nokia but I hated Windows on phones. You gave me some work to do if I can find it.

---------- Post added 09-13-17 at 09:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Do you like those? I think they are terrible. They might work if you are trying for an "old sailor" type look, but you can clearly see the enlarging of facial features you get because the i phone lens isn't long enough to do real portrait work and the filters that they used are way to gritty for most people to be satisfied with them.

Lighting is probably the key to portrait photography and while you can cobble together things to make it work with an iphone or Galaxy phone, life is far simpler with an ILC and external flash of some kind.

I think the place where camera phones do best is where you want a photo journalistic look and don't care if everything is in focus.
The first and the last one I like. I don't have solid arguments, but I was used to flat images from the phones (I don't use at all my phone for taking pictures) and seeing the blured background and some tiny dof... I don't know, I just like them.

How true you are regarding the lighting for portrait photography. It can make or breake an image no matter the lens or camera used.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-13-2017 at 02:14 PM.
09-13-2017, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #68

Howdy OP!

It seems to me as though you're in much the same place I was a few weeks ago, prior to buying my K1. I genuinely think that for landscape hobbyists (read those who don't want to invest in MF gear, although both Fuji and Hasselblad's newest are HOT and unbelievable to play with) the K1 is the best camera out there. Full stop. I genuinely don't think that hobbyists need more than 36mp, and the K1 has FAR more options in the body than the D810 or the D850 has and by virtue of the build and the real viewfinder is IMHO much better than the Sony options. And there's no comparison with Canon. They're at least three generations behind in DR in their newest sensors. Does the AF compare with others? No. Not at all. But for landscapes, if you care I think you're doing it wrong.

I went through the pretty serious sports photo phase a while ago and I went with the 7dMkII, because the D500 had yet to be released. Had I waited a few more months, you betcha I would have become a Nikonian, and that I would have a D810 instead of my K1. I've tried the K3 II with the 150-450, and in my experience it was WELL behind the 7dII with the 100-400 and the D500 with pretty much any combination of glass in front of it. AF acquisition lagged, and the entire experience left a lot to be desired. If I were planning on shooting demanding sports situations the Pentax family would be out of the running for me. But again, I was shooting sidelines and expecting professional hit rates using L glass in front of a baby 1DX...... if you're looking at a less demanding situation, then a K3II may be good enough for you.

TLDR: Whatever you do, don't buy either the 6DII or the 5DIV. For landscapes with any modicum of contrast you're going to be pretty disappointed.

If you're looking at having two bodies, one for landscapes and one for sports, and you're rich, it really does seem to me as though going Nikon is the best option. Grab a D500, a D850, and whatever lens combos you think will work the best for you.

If you're a landscape hobbyist who is looking for a system that you'll be unbelievably happy with, go with the K1, and a 15-30. Grab a 28-105 too. They're both more than sharp enough for the K1, and between the two of those there are very few situations that you won't be covered in. Its exactly what I did, and I've been ecstatic since the switch (from Fuji this time......)
09-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #69

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mike120 Quote
Howdy OP!

It seems to me as though you're in much the same place I was a few weeks ago, prior to buying my K1. I genuinely think that for landscape hobbyists (read those who don't want to invest in MF gear, although both Fuji and Hasselblad's newest are HOT and unbelievable to play with) the K1 is the best camera out there. Full stop. I genuinely don't think that hobbyists need more than 36mp, and the K1 has FAR more options in the body than the D810 or the D850 has and by virtue of the build and the real viewfinder is IMHO much better than the Sony options. And there's no comparison with Canon. They're at least three generations behind in DR in their newest sensors. Does the AF compare with others? No. Not at all. But for landscapes, if you care I think you're doing it wrong.

I went through the pretty serious sports photo phase a while ago and I went with the 7dMkII, because the D500 had yet to be released. Had I waited a few more months, you betcha I would have become a Nikonian, and that I would have a D810 instead of my K1. I've tried the K3 II with the 150-450, and in my experience it was WELL behind the 7dII with the 100-400 and the D500 with pretty much any combination of glass in front of it. AF acquisition lagged, and the entire experience left a lot to be desired. If I were planning on shooting demanding sports situations the Pentax family would be out of the running for me. But again, I was shooting sidelines and expecting professional hit rates using L glass in front of a baby 1DX...... if you're looking at a less demanding situation, then a K3II may be good enough for you.

TLDR: Whatever you do, don't buy either the 6DII or the 5DIV. For landscapes with any modicum of contrast you're going to be pretty disappointed.

If you're looking at having two bodies, one for landscapes and one for sports, and you're rich, it really does seem to me as though going Nikon is the best option. Grab a D500, a D850, and whatever lens combos you think will work the best for you.

If you're a landscape hobbyist who is looking for a system that you'll be unbelievably happy with, go with the K1, and a 15-30. Grab a 28-105 too. They're both more than sharp enough for the K1, and between the two of those there are very few situations that you won't be covered in. Its exactly what I did, and I've been ecstatic since the switch (from Fuji this time......)
To paraphrase Monty Python..."Medium format...is right out!". Yikes on the prices for those cameras.

I wasn't planning on the 6DII (based on bad reviews I've seen) and the 5Dmk4 both lacks the tilt screen and it's out of my price range.I think you meant don't get the 7dII, which I won't, because I just realized that that doesn't have the tilt screen either.

I think at this point, I've exhausted any way of staying within Canon. I could go with the Pentax for my full frame/landscape needs, and if I feel the need, I could do a D500 for my sport/wildlife needs (have to admit, it's a sweet camera). But that's a later on down the road situation.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here done the "switch the mount" option with Sigma lenses? Is it worth it to do that, or would I be just better off selling my Canon mount lens and use those funds to get the Pentax mount?
09-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Welcome motorhead9999.

You'll find we are in general a little pleased with our brand these days and for your landscape and astro, you really would be hard pressed to find a better performer than the K-1 paired with OEM and 3rd party glass choices. All of my fellow landscapers are nikon or canon shooters and sometimes i feel sorry for them missing out on some of our innovative features and quality. I'm not gonna let on of course, lol.

In general, where Pentax tends to trail slightly behind the competition is video, fast AF tracking, and flash sync speed; none of those metrics pertain to landscape and astrophotography, luckily. Besides that, the overall image quality including pixel shift functionality, weather and rugged build, astrotracer, tilt screens, sensor shifting(for shift lens effect), compatibility with ancient glass, and price point, all score a win in favor of Pentax.

Good luck shopping and feel free to ask plenty of questions!

---------- Post added 09-13-2017 at 08:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
...I've also been thinking about getting a crop sensor camera to complement my full frame. Preferably one with a higher shooting rate for sports or action/wildlife shots (and also possibly for close up star/moon shots, given that a nice zoom would get a bit of a bump with the crop factor). I'd imagine the suggestion would be "Get a crop camera in whatever system you decide to stick with". Which would be the best Pentax crop style camera to go with? ...

TIA!
I primarily use the 645Z for my landscape work and the APS-C K3II for wildlife, sports, event, long tele. I find it very capable and up until recently was using it exclusively for my astro work, until I actually tried the 645Z and find it able to hold it's own, despite the absence of GPS/astrotracing nor a fast wide glass option.

Last edited by mikeSF; 09-13-2017 at 08:44 PM.
09-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Out of curiosity, has anyone here done the "switch the mount" option with Sigma lenses? Is it worth it to do that, or would I be just better off selling my Canon mount lens and use those funds to get the Pentax mount?
Doesn't hurt to get a price.

The newest Sigma lenses don't come in K-mount so you can't get them converted, your 35mm Art does though.

I have it, and it's a fantastic lens.
09-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #72

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Doesn't hurt to get a price.

The newest Sigma lenses don't come in K-mount so you can't get them converted, your 35mm Art does though.

I have it, and it's a fantastic lens.
Just got a price quote: the 35mm conversion is 150 plus shipping.

Also, ordered my camera and 15-30mm lens this weekend. Should have it by mid-week!
09-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, ordered my camera and 15-30mm lens this weekend. Should have it by mid-week!
Well, that's fantastic news, Motorhead ... a Big Boy Lens to go with a Big Boy camera - enjoy!
09-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #74

Just got a price quote: the 35mm conversion is 150 plus shipping.

Congrats!!! Cant wait to see what you come up with. Happy to see another happy Canon convert........
09-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

would love to hear some honest feedback on what you iike/don't like compared between the brands after you've taken a few

of course, you know who I'm rooting for