Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #16
Forum Member

So, I have a similar interest for landscape work and just ordered via Amazon the Rokinon FE14M-P 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Fixed Lens. After reading some of the comments here I am wondering if I made a mistake in ordering this lens? Most of the reviews were excellent,
Does anyone have experience with this lens and can comment how it compares to the Irix 15mm lens?
Cheers

09-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #17
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StanT Quote
After reading some of the comments here I am wondering if I made a mistake in ordering this lens?
No I don't think you did, however I don't know what type of images you want to capture with it. To give you an example of why I think you shouldn't worry too much is to check out this article here: Into The Night Photography: Overcoming Coma Aberration - Part 2 This bloke is well worth following if you're into astro work and you can see why he's a fan of the 14mm Samyang/Rokinon/Bower lens. You can find more of his images here: Royce Bair | Flickr

Tas
09-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, I have a similar interest for landscape work and just ordered via Amazon the Rokinon FE14M-P 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Fixed Lens. After reading some of the comments here I am wondering if I made a mistake in ordering this lens? Most of the reviews were excellent,
Does anyone have experience with this lens and can comment how it compares to the Irix 15mm lens?
Cheers

Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Last edited by jlstrawman; 09-15-2017 at 02:52 PM.
09-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

My astro+landscape solution for the K-1 is the 15-30 plus 28-105. The 15-30 is for ultra wide angle and astro. The 28-105 covers more distant landscapes. Both lenses are as sharp as a prime lens IMO.

I do not use filters on the 15-30. There are options but they are bulky and expensive. Circular polarizers don't look right at ultra-wide angles, anyway. I use the 28-105 when I want CPL or ND filters. That doesn't let me do a true ND long exposure wider than 28mm, but I can take multiple unfiltered 15-30 shots and average them to simulate long exposures.

I also have a DFA 100 f2.8 Macro. That works well with the astrotracer for Milky Way closeups.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the future release of a Pentax wide angle prime, but there is apparently one coming.
That's been on the roadmap for too many years. At this point, I think it's equally likely to be released, or unceremoniously removed from the roadmap. Sales might be low because people who needed a wide angle prime already bought Irix, Samyang, or something else.

Rokinon FE14M-P 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Fixed Lens. After reading some of the comments here I am wondering if I made a mistake in ordering this lens?
Image quality from my copy is very good. The Rokinon (and similar Samyang and Bower 14mm) has complex distortion but that's more a factor for architecture with straight lines, and can be corrected with lens profiles in post-processing software. It's a much lighter and compact option than the Pentax 15-30. Note that I don't use my 14 much because I prefer the versatility of the Pentax 15-30.

A common issue with the 14 is miscalibrated distance marks on the focus ring; it was an early complaint and maybe resolved. If you focus with liveview zoom it's not an issue. If you focus with a hyperfocal reference chart, there are simple steps you can take to adjust the lens if needed.[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by DeadJohn; 09-15-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Fixed double post
09-16-2017, 03:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

In considering lenses of this sort for landscape use one feature of importance to me is that the Samyang (and clones) 14mm do not have filter threads. It's unclear to me if some sort of adapter or a rear filter can be used - one review made the flat statement there is no possible way to mount a filter on this lens. Some of the other wide lenses discussed also don't have front filter threads, a bulging front element preventing this. Reviews of the Samyang line generally would seem to suggest most of their lenses would be excellent for landscape use, the sharpness being superb and the prices attractive. For most landscape use speed is not important so the manual focusing of these lenses would not usually be a drawback, although if all other things are equal I would prefer AF.

---------- Post added 09-16-17 at 04:35 AM ----------

There are at least four threads on this forum of major decentering issues with the Irix 15mm. These can be found in the Irix lens club section. I'm not sure how significant this is but I had this lens on my "to buy" list for landscapes and it has given me concern.

Last edited by wanderer2; 09-16-2017 at 03:36 AM.
09-16-2017, 03:59 AM   #21
Forum Member

Thank you all for the good advice. Having come from the Nikon world I had a large amount of experience with their glass. Just starting out with the K1 I am learning my way around. I also am surprised at the quality of the images I am getting from the 28-105 $500 lens. Much better then I would have expected.

I post some images with the Rokinon soon.

Cheers
09-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #22
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
It's unclear to me if some sort of adapter or a rear filter can be used - one review made the flat statement there is no possible way to mount a filter on this lens. Some of the other wide lenses discussed also don't have front filter threads, a bulging front element preventing this.
Just to clear this point up, the Pentax/Tamron 15-30 has a bulging front element and you can get filters for it. This has been discussed in several areas around the forum if you've got the time to browse.

The Samyang et al lenses are also able to have filters fitted. For example:

NiSi 150mm Filter Holder For Samyang AF 14mm FE f/2.8 Lens

The LEE SW150 Mark II Filter System especially designed for a range of popular ultra-wideangle lenses.

<p>Haida, Believe We Can...</p>

WonderPana Filter Holder for Various 14mm Full Frame - Ultra Wide Angle Lens Filter Adapter ? Fotodiox, Inc. USA

The costs to build a kit using these large filters is not likely to be cheap and needs to be considered if you're opting for one of these lenses.

Tas

09-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Just ordered my camera! I got the body as well as the 15-30 f/2.8. As much as I liked the irix, the reviews on the Tamron version of the lens were stellar, and it will cover a lot of ground for me.

Best part was that ebay had an 8% rewards deal going on, so between the lens and body, I'll get a $200 gift certificate next month.
09-17-2017, 05:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

For astro 35 1.4 and 24 1.4 seem to be the best due to a large physical opening which allows to gather more light than 14 2.8

Samyang 24 1.4 seems to be a great lens for that, I'm planning to grab one for next summer. Also Sigma 35 1.4 should be great for that too.
09-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Just to clear this point up, the Pentax/Tamron 15-30 has a bulging front element and you can get filters for it. This has been discussed in several areas around the forum if you've got the time to browse.

The Samyang et al lenses are also able to have filters fitted. For example:

NiSi 150mm Filter Holder For Samyang AF 14mm FE f/2.8 Lens

The LEE SW150 Mark II Filter System especially designed for a range of popular ultra-wideangle lenses.

<p>Haida, Believe We Can...</p>

WonderPana Filter Holder for Various 14mm Full Frame - Ultra Wide Angle Lens Filter Adapter ? Fotodiox, Inc. USA

The costs to build a kit using these large filters is not likely to be cheap and needs to be considered if you're opting for one of these lenses.

Tas
Thanks, I appreciate the info on filters for these lenses.
09-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
For astro 35 1.4 and 24 1.4 seem to be the best due to a large physical opening which allows to gather more light than 14 2.8

Samyang 24 1.4 seems to be a great lens for that, I'm planning to grab one for next summer. Also Sigma 35 1.4 should be great for that too.
I have the Sigma 35 1.4 (for my Canon) and it is in indeed great for astro because of the wide aperture. I think it was Sigma who was going to be coming out with a 14mm f/1.8 or similar that should also be interesting...
09-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
I have the Sigma 35 1.4 (for my Canon) and it is in indeed great for astro because of the wide aperture. I think it was Sigma who was going to be coming out with a 14mm f/1.8 or similar that should also be interesting...
That lens is heavier than a pro ff body and will never be available in k mount I believe their latest 4 lenses seem superb
09-24-2017, 10:29 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have or have access to many wide and UWA since this is a small place and Pentax folks do get to meet up now and then.

My context is with stopped down f8-f11 shooting.

IRIX 15mm is probably as good as it gets now for a Pentax UWA prime with good IQ to the edges, lower distortion and rather good build quality.

Samyang 14 is as good as it gets for a Pentax UWA for the price; Only downside is distortion which is not that big a deal with a lens profile and/or non-cityscapes.
I have shot plenty with this and have 100% samples in the pixel shift threads.

20mm is a missing 'hole' here, for 'good to the edges' quality, but that said, the Pentax options are all smallish and often good enough on the edges.
I'd skip 20mm if I have my 14mm with me though.

24mm is another gap for good to the edges IQ.
The K24/2.8 can be adequate and better than the f3.5 version.
The FA*24/2 is about the same.
The Samyang 24 is said to be good based on some reviews but I don't have first hand info on it.
24mm is the FL that can get the job done most of the time for natural landscapes.
Its too narrow for many cityscapes though.

28mm, the K28/3.5 shines.
M28/3.5 does not compare to it.
DFA28-105, not too bad considering its a zoom.
IMO, 28mm does feel/look like an 'old man's' wide nowadays.
Nowadays, the style is mostly over the top (meaning UWA) and 'conservative wide' at 28mm seems to hark back to older film days.

Personally, I'd usually prefer 14mm, 24mm.
The 14mm for obvious reasons.
The 24mm does stand alone better than a 28mm as well as being a good FL away from 14mm.
For the best IQ I can get, I'd go for the 14mm and K28mm of course.

I don't like lenses like the new Sigma's.
Spec monsters with a size to match.
That major encumbrance to haul around day in day out if on a photo trip.
Add that with another new Sigma 50/1.4 and a UWA (and even a new big/heavy 70-200/2.8) and I'd need a sherpa.
Since its for stopped down landscapes, even a old Takumar 35/3.5 does the job for much less size/weight.
09-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
28mm, the K28/3.5 shines.
M28/3.5 does not compare to it.
I'll agree with that statement with the added disclaimer that the M 28 is a great lens. I had almost held onto mine even after getting the K version.
09-26-2017, 05:08 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found the k 24 f2.8 to be very disappointing as a landscape lens. I thought I loved it for film, but it doesn't cut it as a full frame digital lens. Even after a CLA the lens is not sharp at distances and the color and contrast are not up to the standards set by some of my other lens. Both the 20mm f4 and 35mm f3.5 are far superior as landscape lens and rival the IQ i have obtained with my Distagons.

The K 20mm f4 is a great lens if you can find one!

Last edited by sibyrnes; 09-26-2017 at 05:22 AM.