Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
trying to find a good but not too expensive hand strap for my k-1

I am wondering how many of you are using hand strap instead of the neck strap that comes with k-1? I use a generic (chinese made) hand strap on my k-3 when I shoot events. I want to get perhaps a better quality one for my k-1. Anyone current using hand strap with your k-1 and would like to share your thoughts on it? TIA.

11-05-2017, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I am wondering how many of you are using hand strap instead of the neck strap that comes with k-1? I use a generic (chinese made) hand strap on my k-3 when I shoot events. I want to get perhaps a better quality one for my k-1. Anyone current using hand strap with your k-1 and would like to share your thoughts on it? TIA.
G'day,

I've contributed to a couple of threads on this or similar topics as I've been using a Joby hand strap for several years, firstly on a K5 and currently on a K-1. I use a battery grip with both cameras. I didn't like the neck strap and the hand strap gave me extra security when carrying the camera around, and I don't intend to change anytime soon. Instead of repeating what I've posted previously, below are the two threads that might have some of the answers you seek.

K1+grip? - PentaxForums.com

Spider Pro Hand Strap, a bust - PentaxForums.com

I'm happy to answer any others questions you think I might be able to help with.

Tas
11-05-2017, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Hama hand strap that I bought ages ago for my K10D. Pretty solid but I soon got fed up with using it as it put too much strain on my wrist carrying it around. The K1 will only be worse due to the weight.

Just my thoughts.
11-05-2017, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I made all my own handstraps out of Paracord. There are several decent tutorials on YouTube to help you along. Cheap, stylish, and sturdy.

11-05-2017, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think this is the best wrist strap:
https://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Neoprene-Adjustable-Camcorders-Binoculars/dp...AD0ZC7PC4CMRDA

I do think that a wrist strap is a little heavy to just be walking around with. It is better than a neck strap IMO, but that's just personal preference. I think if you're going to go personal preference, shoulder strap is the way to go.

If carrying and convenience is the goal... I high suggest a belt mount (is that the name). They are so convenient!! You clip it onto your belt, and boom... makes it so that you can just walk around. Sometimes I re-tighten the mount just to be sure, but it's very convenient for walking around (especially when it comes to the heft of Pentax cameras... they feel bigger to me anyways), and secure:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SGY5M28/ref=crt_ewc_title_huc_1?tag=pen...A1VUHAGCWV1YQL
11-06-2017, 12:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I have a Hama hand strap that I bought ages ago for my K10D. Pretty solid but I soon got fed up with using it as it put too much strain on my wrist carrying it around. The K1 will only be worse due to the weight.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks, I often shoot with 2 cameras (one at a time), I can appreciate getting too much strain on the wrist if I have to carry the camera all the time, I change camera whenever I see fit, so it is not staying in my hand all the time. I agree that the k-1 is a bit heavier to carry than the current APS-C cameras, but it seems only slight heavier, not by much (without the grip which I don't see).

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I made all my own handstraps out of Paracord. There are several decent tutorials on YouTube to help you along. Cheap, stylish, and sturdy.
Thanks... but I would like see what is available with decent quality at reasonable price.

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
I think this is the best wrist strap:
amazon.com : Polaroid Neoprene Adjustable Wrist Strap for Digital SLR Cameras Camcorders Binoculars : Camera And Optics Carrying Straps : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I do think that a wrist strap is a little heavy to just be walking around with. It is better than a neck strap IMO, but that's just personal preference. I think if you're going to go personal preference, shoulder strap is the way to go.

If carrying and convenience is the goal... I high suggest a belt mount (is that the name). They are so convenient!! You clip it onto your belt, and boom... makes it so that you can just walk around. Sometimes I re-tighten the mount just to be sure, but it's very convenient for walking around (especially when it comes to the heft of Pentax cameras... they feel bigger to me anyways), and secure:
amazon.com : VONOTO DSLR Camera Hard Plastic waist belt buckle button - camera hanger Belt Clip Holster Holder fast loading rig for Canon 5d2 nikon d7000 etc -Black : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
I like the idea of belt mount, thanks, I will look into it a bit more.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
G'day,

I've contributed to a couple of threads on this or similar topics as I've been using a Joby hand strap for several years, firstly on a K5 and currently on a K-1. I use a battery grip with both cameras. I didn't like the neck strap and the hand strap gave me extra security when carrying the camera around, and I don't intend to change anytime soon. Instead of repeating what I've posted previously, below are the two threads that might have some of the answers you seek.

K1+grip? - PentaxForums.com

Spider Pro Hand Strap, a bust - PentaxForums.com

I'm happy to answer any others questions you think I might be able to help with.

Tas
Thanks for the heads up, Tas, I would definitely good thru the threads you suggested and go from there. I was seriously looking into the Spider Pro hand strap... thanks for the link and discussion. Now, I am looking for something else, perhaps and belt clip hoster...
11-06-2017, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I tend to hold my camera.... wrist strap is for drop security.... or to dangle the camera for one reason or another from it (K-1 with DFA 150-450 attached).... I use these... different colours for different camera bodies

http://lancecamerastraps.com/classic-lug-wrist/

Last edited by noelpolar; 11-06-2017 at 12:41 AM.
11-06-2017, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

anyone tried the Lucky wrist straps?
Wrist Straps | Lucky Camera Straps
11-06-2017, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Tas

I chose this product available through many outlets:

Joby UltraFit Hand Strap with Ultra Plate

I have found many benefits as Joby claims:

comfortable, lightweight support without bulk and conforms to the hand for the ultimate ease in shooting.
Integrated Ultra Plate baseplate offers built-in, Arca-Swiss compatibility for seamless transitions – from carrying by hand to securing to a tripod/ballhead.

I have attached a Optech USA Utility Strap as well, which I can quickly detached if I want.

both attach to the upper attachment point of the camera body and the Ultra Plate attaches to the base at the tripod attachment point

the biggest draw back is that the Ultra Plate attaches to the camera with an " Allen " ( hex ) screw so to completely remove it should I want to I need to have that tool.

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-06-2017 at 08:27 AM.
11-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My solution on my k-3 is to use a pacsafe reinforced antitheft strap. It isn't a comfy cushioned strap, just a safety. Then I use a Kata camera pouch on a shoulder strap. I put the camera in the pouch when I want to stop holding it.
11-06-2017, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Peak Design for me. It's a modular system, so switching from handstrap to "grip strap" to neckstrap is very easy and quick.
11-06-2017, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Easy carry and access for heavy camera.

I found that a single point AR rifle sling works great on my K-1. When using a telephoto I attach to the foot on the tele lens When using mid and wide angle I attach to the Arca Swiss plate. Using the sling over my right shoulder puts the camera at my left hip. Comfortable and secure with quick and easy access. The sling I use has built in shock cord and quick detach. Also adjustable length, from Midway USA. Likely similar available from any sporting supply. I don't like to place the weight of a heavy lens and camera on one neck strap attachment point.
11-06-2017, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gordy's camera straps

Love mine. Expect it to last for many years.
11-06-2017, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, I have 2, for my K20d & K5, from Jim Garavuso, camdapter.com, first class hand strap!
11-07-2017, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #15

I have a Zecti strap, really comfortable, inexpensive and well-designed. I had one for the KP, and when I got a K1 I immediately bought another! Hand straps are a pain to fit through the little slots, so I just loop it round the end of the neck strap so I can use both. I don't know if these are available in the US, though - I live in the UK.

Last edited by agp1337; 11-08-2017 at 12:48 AM.