Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #91
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
This discussion is really taking off to nowhere.

Who will sell a sensor for a mirrorless APS-C/FF camera to Pentax?
The sensor used in the K-70 has the capability of providing the kind of AF normally performed by MILC - but they have confirmed this is actually used only during video - thus Sony is already selling Pentax the type of sensor you doubted anyone would ever sell to them. Maybe the limitations on the K-70 are contractual in nature - we don't know - but the situation is not nearly as dire as your words would imply.

07-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think a lot can be done by Pentax with the Sony FF hybrid focus sensors. Lets see what happens.
07-07-2018, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way it appears that the sensor in the Nikon 850 is a sony. Someone took it apart and looked at the label. I can run that down if necessary. Too lazy right now.
07-08-2018, 11:05 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
By the way it appears that the sensor in the Nikon 850 is a sony. Someone took it apart and looked at the label. I can run that down if necessary. Too lazy right now.
I wouldn't be surprised if we wanted to see pentax use similar tech that is found in the D850 that pentax would need to pay for sony to produce a sensor with BSI and DCG ( this would require a larger production run to keep the cost down). It seems as if sony is leaning this way when it comes to larger sensors and non industrial applications. I have a feeling that sony is steering away from off the shelf sensors and not have the most up to date tech in favor of holding these features in custom built spec'd sensors.

If we look at the D500 and the D850 these are built to Nikon specs and more than likely cost Nikon some money in doing so, this is probably one of the reasons why we see the same sensor in the D500 and D7500 to lessen over a larger production run. I would not be surprised for us to see the same sensor in the D850 windup in at least one of the ML bodies also to spread out the cost.