Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2017, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax's next FF mega hit camera.

As a new owner of the K1 I am a very happy camper with the sheer value in this awesome camera, and it will last me a long time.
As such, I've fantasized a lot about how Pentax could eventually follow up this amazing camera and raise the bar even more.

This is what I think would hit it out of the park:

Key features:
1. Mirrorless:
Bring on the EVF, live focus peaking, and auto eye focus through the viewfinder baby!!
BUT! Keep the K-mount as is, a short flange is a trap. It doesn't reduce overall kit size significantly for FF, and there is already plenty of manual legacy glass for native K-mount + M42. Fragmenting the lens lineup with a new mount would be a huge mistake.

2.Improved auto focus:
I personally think this would an easy bi-product of going mirrorless, enabling much more focus points all across the frame.

3.Improved video:
Not really an issue for me, but I'm sure there are many people who would be more tempted by the Pentax platform, if it was able to cover both their Photo and video needs.

4. X-trans sensor:
Now this is probably a total impossibility, but hear me out.
Fuji has blatantly said they have NO intention of entering the already busy FF market.
Sooo, what if Pentax could manage to license, and bring in the first Full Frame, Mirrorless, X-trans camera?!

None of this is prediction, merely wishful thinking, and my K-1 will probably last me forever anyway!
What are some things you'd love to see?

Last edited by Leumas; 12-16-2017 at 01:59 PM.
12-16-2017, 02:12 PM - 3 Likes   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
As a new owner of the K1 I am a very happy camper with the sheer value in this awesome camera, and it will last me a long time.
As such, I've fantasized a lot about how Pentax could eventually follow up this amazing camera and raise the bar even more.

Key features:
1. Mirrorless:
Bring on the EVF, live focus peaking, and auto eye focus through the viewfinder baby!!
BUT! Keep the K-mount as is, a short flange is a trap. It doesn't reduce overall kit size significantly for FF, and there is already plenty of manual legacy glass for native K-mount + M42. Fragmenting the lens lineup with a new mount would be a huge mistake.

2.Improved auto focus:
I personally think this would an easy bi-product of going mirrorless, enabling much more focus points all across the frame.

3.Improved video:
Not really an issue for me, but I'm sure there are many people who would be more tempted by the Pentax platform, if it was able to cover both their Photo and video needs.

4. X-trans sensor:
Fuji has blatantly said they have NO intention of entering the already busy FF market.
Sooo, what if Pentax could manage to license, and bring in the first Full Frame, Mirrorless, X-trans camera?!

None of this is prediction, merely wishful thinking, and my K-1 will probably last me forever anyway!
1. I hope this does not happen as in my opinion EVF is inferior to OVF thus making mirrorless an inferior camera.

2. Larger area of focus points would be nice and I have nothing against better AF speed.

3. Not interested but why not?

4. This is another point that I hope doesn't happen.
12-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If 1. or 4. happens in the near future, I will buy a Nikon.
I think you shold buy a Fuji for second body.

Autofocus is sadly limited by the lenses. The new ones are pretty good (I have only the 55-300PLM). Improved video would be nice.
12-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Key features:
1. Mirrorless:

2.Improved auto focus:

3.Improved video:

4. X-trans sensor:

If i remember corrctly, Ricoh Imaging declared that all future Pentax models will be DSLR's, and Ricoh will make mirrorless.

With Pentax having Pixel Shift, i do not see why an X-trans sensor as an advantage, on the contrary, i think it would be a step backward.

Video and autofocus i am sure will be updated in the next camera(but i am pretty sure its not going to be FF), and furthere improved in the following years. The next dull frame camera Released from Pentax i am sure is going to have some killer(and inovative) features.

Whatever they do, i am sure it is going to be in the right direction.

12-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) Quite literally, Pentax wouldn't be Pentax without a pentaprism.

2) Sure. Bring it on.

3) Meh.

4) The current sensors do OK, and pixel shift can take them to another level when circumstances allow.
12-16-2017, 03:37 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Pentax flagship without a viewfinder.... are you mad !!
12-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Drinkkeri Quote
1. I hope this does not happen as in my opinion EVF is inferior to OVF thus making mirrorless an inferior camera.

2. Larger area of focus points would be nice and I have nothing against better AF speed.

3. Not interested but why not?

4. This is another point that I hope doesn't happen.
Interesting.
As an avid manual focus fan, a modern EVF is irrefutably superior to an OVF. IMO

---------- Post added 12-16-17 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
If i remember corrctly, Ricoh Imaging declared that all future Pentax models will be DSLR's, and Ricoh will make mirrorless.

With Pentax having Pixel Shift, i do not see why an X-trans sensor as an advantage, on the contrary, i think it would be a step backward.

Video and autofocus i am sure will be updated in the next camera(but i am pretty sure its not going to be FF), and furthere improved in the following years. The next dull frame camera Released from Pentax i am sure is going to have some killer(and inovative) features.

Whatever they do, i am sure it is going to be in the right direction.
Yeah, not sure if there's also a possible implementation of pixel shift on X-trans.
Frankly, I wish they could implement Foveon sensor tech if they managed to get equivalent ISO performance.

I think you're right about them going the right direction

12-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

irrefutably....IMO
There is a logical fallacy here somewhere

As for the OVF vs EVF argument - personally I don't like seeing action that has already passed. If timing isn't important, live view with CDAF, focus peaking and magnification work well for manual focus.
12-16-2017, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
There is a logical fallacy here somewhere

As for the OVF vs EVF argument - personally I don't like seeing action that has already passed. If timing isn't important, live view with CDAF, focus peaking and magnification work well for manual focus.
Sounds like you're describing early generations of EVF's
12-16-2017, 05:26 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Next big FF camera hit? A FF version of the K3II with more AF points/more spread out (51+ points, 25 cross type), better AF, UHS-II compatible (UHS-III would be better), and a deeper buffer (at least 40 shots in a row)
12-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bring on the EVF
evf? no definitely not, optical all the way man

---------- Post added 17-12-17 at 11:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
and a deeper buffer
yes, and most importantly fast buffer clear time

---------- Post added 17-12-17 at 11:38 AM ----------

X-trans sensor
if i wanted that i'd buy Fuji
12-16-2017, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

It sounds like you want a Sony A7r with a k mount adapter.
12-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Interesting.
As an avid manual focus fan, a modern EVF is irrefutably superior to an OVF. IMO
Interesting...As an avid manual focus user, I find that available EVF are inferior, in my experience.

Sounds like you're describing early generations of EVF's
It took me five minutes with the A7 to say no in 2014 and even less time with the A7II in 2017. I guess that qualifies as refutation.

The subject of a FF Pentax mirrorless has been chewed on over and over and over on this site. The salient points remain:
  • Would be silly to do with K-mount, requiring a new mount
  • If done, it would be years before lens support would be adequate (witness how long it took Sony to spin up)
  • Mirrorless AF sucks, even with available on-sensor PDAF
  • Battery life
  • Might be more appropriate for medium format
There is a reason why Sony and Leica are the only players in this space.

Steve
12-16-2017, 08:59 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax shouldn't copy others. Sure, on-sensor PDAF and incremental AF improvements would be nice, but these are bound to come out sooner rather than later. They should focus on technologies that will carry DSLRs into the modern era, perhaps through continued enhancements to the viewfinder (some hybrid solution targeting manual focus and action shooting), miniaturization of lenses, and further improvements to durability / longevity.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-16-2017, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #15

I love my SLR and DSLR, but EVF mirrorless is undeniably the future. Perhaps not any time soon for Pentax, but other manufacturers have certainly taken notice.