Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #76
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by h4yn0nnym0u5e Quote
  • Add a z-axis to the IBIS to get in-camera focus stacking or focus bracketing
  • Better articulation of the rear screen so it's easier to use from the side or below
  • touch screen so you can select focus point (like Image Sync app but ... more useful?) and zoom and pan when chimping
  • Custom crop modes, e.g. to use lenses that only just vignette
Just my 2p (well, I am in the U.K...)
Yes, good suggestions, I especially like #4.

01-10-2018, 07:30 PM - 3 Likes   #77
Pentaxian

I have a K-1 and I like it the way it is. Excellent camera as is.
01-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #78
Forum Member

I'd rather like to see Autofocus-Improvements in the next full frame... Just thinking about other brands that shoot 12 pics per second (some even more) while retaining Focus in AF-C mode...
I also see having a bigger buffer on a camera being more important than an EVF.
Even having 30p 4k-video would sell more units than just packing an EVF into a usual PENTAX-body.

---------- Post added 01-10-18 at 08:38 PM ----------

And a joystick or intellipoint for quick AF point selection would also make sense, though I like the idea of having a touchscreen, one should note that a touchscreen(capacitative)could easily be compromised by humidity coming either from sweat, rain, etc. so it would be important to implement an option into the cameras menu that makes it possible to switch off "touch"

---------- Post added 01-10-18 at 08:42 PM ----------

BTW: Gunmetal Grey looks way cooler than silver finish options...
01-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I
QuoteOriginally posted by h4yn0nnym0u5e Quote
  • Add a z-axis to the IBIS to get in-camera focus stacking or focus bracketing
  • Better articulation of the rear screen so it's easier to use from the side or below
  • touch screen so you can select focus point (like Image Sync app but ... more useful?) and zoom and pan when chimping
  • Custom crop modes, e.g. to use lenses that only just vignette
Just my 2p (well, I am in the U.K...)
Moving IBIS for focusing may sound like a good idea but it is going to affect camera design in a bad way.

Camera size is going to increase and the added complexity is going to make the camera much more expensive

Moving the sensor for focus will have to shift the whole SR frame further back in the camera, increasing the size of the camera, and if you want to be able to see the focus shift in OVF the whole internal camera have to move including mirror, shutter and OVF. Which means that it is actually the lens mount or front of the camera that has to move, but it will only be possible to move the lens further away from sensor to focus closer, as the mirror is in the way for moving closer to the sensor unless it is made as mirrorless with K-mount.

There is really no need to make camera design any more complex than it is today. As lenses already have a focusing mechanism, it would be much more cost efficient using that for focusing shift. Otherwise I believe there is exist motorised focusing rails for automated focus shift.

Last edited by Fogel70; 01-10-2018 at 11:44 PM.
01-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #80

I would love a mirrorless updated version of the K-1.
The only reason I have not bought the K-1 was the K-mount flange distance making it impossible to use glass from other manufacturers.

Pentax bodies have always provided good value for money and the option of using my canon class on a pentax with K-1-like features would make buying a no brainer.
I´would just have to wait for good adapters to arrive on the market.
01-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #81
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Expeditioneer Quote
I would love a mirrorless updated version of the K-1.
The only reason I have not bought the K-1 was the K-mount flange distance making it impossible to use glass from other manufacturers.

Pentax bodies have always provided good value for money and the option of using my canon class on a pentax with K-1-like features would make buying a no brainer.
I´would just have to wait for good adapters to arrive on the market.
I understand the idea, but one has to note, that our market share isnt as big as Sonys, therefore Ricoh would have to sell K-70 and K-P like mirrorless bodies for an absolute battle price like 350 respectively 450-500 dollar with either 18-50mm or 50-300mm plm kit lens beforehand...
if they would do that and promote the system really big... with promoting it really big, i mean adverts in different magazines like VOGUE, mens health, playboy, billboards, etc. repeatedly for at least 2-3 years... just like Sony did when they penetrated the market with the Sony NEX cameras.
... i guess then the system would be spread wide enough, to make 3rd party producers think about making for instance a Canon EF to PENTAX ZK AF Adapter....
...because pentax itself wouldnt dare to, because they would want to sell their own lenses...

AFAIK there are only Sony A(Minolta mount) to Sony E(NEX mount) adapters directly from Sony wich offer AF and aperture functionality to users of adapted lenses.
And lookin at the Pentax side: We dont even have a Pentax 645 to Pentax K-Adapter with AF and aperture functionality(though I am pretty sure that would be doable)... much less 2 different ones like sony has for "A to NEX"...

so you better not hope you would ever see a useful canon lens adapter for a PENTAX ZK(theor. mirrorless) camera...if such a camera would be introduced at the upcoming CP+
Just think about the Tamron 150-600 lens... even though they know, Pentaxians would die for a lens with that reach-quality-price ratio... they dont build it for pentax cause
A) i guess since they are a contractor to PENTAX they are much likely to have an additional agreement to NOT produce lenses for PK so pentax can sell its 150-450 glasses first...
B) even if they would not/have no agreement with Ricoh Imaging/PENTAX, ... I am not so sure, if they ever would bring any lens for PK since the market share of Pentax K-Mount cameras is nowhere near Nikon or Canon
and if Tamron doesnt bring those lenses for K-mount you will hardly find any 3rd party camera-accessory producer that will build a functional adapter for you

most likely you would only get full manual adapters like most people who have that for mirrorless systems, give up on after using them for half a year...

If I where you, I'd rather hope on a much faster K-1, so i could feel like having Legolas at my side instead an Ork(K-1).

And if you ask me, ... looking at the FE lenses and when they are mounted on any sony a7 or a9 body, i would say, the size advantage is gone when you mount a lens on those things...

So if they want to make a (quasi-mirrorelss) they should defenitely do something like a K-01(with a more defined design) that behaves like a Sony A7RIII but in this case they should really do something about the AF system... or that ship will sink... just like the K-01 sank
(the thing people missed the most on K-01 was an EVF and a more decisive, decent and fast enough AF system...)
01-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by credos4u Quote
I understand the idea, but one has to note, that our market share isnt as big as Sonys, therefore Ricoh would have to sell K-70 and K-P like mirrorless bodies for an absolute battle price like 350 respectively 450-500 dollar with either 18-50mm or 50-300mm plm kit lens beforehand...
if they would do that and promote the system really big... with promoting it really big, i mean adverts in different magazines like VOGUE, mens health, playboy, billboards, etc. repeatedly for at least 2-3 years... just like Sony did when they penetrated the market with the Sony NEX cameras.
... i guess then the system would be spread wide enough, to make 3rd party producers think about making for instance a Canon EF to PENTAX ZK AF Adapter....
...because pentax itself wouldnt dare to, because they would want to sell their own lenses...

AFAIK there are only Sony A(Minolta mount) to Sony E(NEX mount) adapters directly from Sony wich offer AF and aperture functionality to users of adapted lenses.
And lookin at the Pentax side: We dont even have a Pentax 645 to Pentax K-Adapter with AF and aperture functionality(though I am pretty sure that would be doable)... much less 2 different ones like sony has for "A to NEX"...

so you better not hope you would ever see a useful canon lens adapter for a PENTAX ZK(theor. mirrorless) camera...if such a camera would be introduced at the upcoming CP+
Just think about the Tamron 150-600 lens... even though they know, Pentaxians would die for a lens with that reach-quality-price ratio... they dont build it for pentax cause
A) i guess since they are a contractor to PENTAX they are much likely to have an additional agreement to NOT produce lenses for PK so pentax can sell its 150-450 glasses first...
B) even if they would not/have no agreement with Ricoh Imaging/PENTAX, ... I am not so sure, if they ever would bring any lens for PK since the market share of Pentax K-Mount cameras is nowhere near Nikon or Canon
and if Tamron doesnt bring those lenses for K-mount you will hardly find any 3rd party camera-accessory producer that will build a functional adapter for you

most likely you would only get full manual adapters like most people who have that for mirrorless systems, give up on after using them for half a year...

If I where you, I'd rather hope on a much faster K-1, so i could feel like having Legolas at my side instead an Ork(K-1).

And if you ask me, ... looking at the FE lenses and when they are mounted on any sony a7 or a9 body, i would say, the size advantage is gone when you mount a lens on those things...

So if they want to make a (quasi-mirrorelss) they should defenitely do something like a K-01(with a more defined design) that behaves like a Sony A7RIII but in this case they should really do something about the AF system... or that ship will sink... just like the K-01 sank
(the thing people missed the most on K-01 was an EVF and a more decisive, decent and fast enough AF system...)
Although I would prefer a solution with fast and accurate autofocus, manual focus for non-native lenses would not be a deal breaker for me.
But buying a Pentax fullframe without the option to mount non-native glass unfortunately is and I know others who say the same.

Last edited by Expeditioneer; 01-21-2018 at 08:42 AM.
01-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Where are you finding these prices? Amazon has K70 body for 600 dollars, K70 with 18-135 for 900 dollars, and K70 with DAL versions of 18-55 and 55-300 for 1180. The K-P seems to be selling for a solid 880 and the 18-135 kit is selling for 1350.

My opinion is that you end up getting really similar cameras specs for a given price point, regardless of whether you get mirrorless or SLR. But if anything, under Ricoh, Pentax has done a lot better of sticking pretty close to release prices until they are getting to close outs and are ready to release their next camera bodies.
03-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #84
Forum Member

where am i finding these prices?
(despite the fact that my answer was about why no AF adapters for optics from other makers exist to adapt them to pentax,..)thats exactly the problem... nowhere.(except on the used market)

i wrote
"would have to sell ... for an absolute battle-price.... " WOULD HAVE TO.... for gaining market share.

Market share means muscles. Since app 1 year or so we have options that come close to something that one could call lowest standard for AF.
and that is the K-70 with the 55-300mm PLM lens... again ONLY ONE LENS ... that is doing OK. when it comes to hit focus really quick.

Canon sold their equally capable prosumer bodies for way less than 1200 dollars INCLUDED a lens that can focus as fast or faster than the new 55-300PLM...
and now we hit the point where we are seeing an M50 mirrorless hit the market and we are galaxies behind(if you dont count in weather sealing as a feature that is important for taking good pix)

The Canon 77D for instance sells for app. 800 dollars inc. lens in a few online shops...
and it has all the features of the K-70 and CANON offers a multitude of lenses that are capable of focusing as fast as the 55-300plm or faster....

AGAIN, THE WHOLE POSTING WAS ABOUT: "Why it is not, or how it would be possible that we see more adapters for the PENTAX mount"
it is about marketshare.
and for gaining market-share, ricoh-imaging would have to invest real big in advertising, product placements(in popular tv-series and hollywood blockbusters) and would have to aggressively sell a camera like the K-70 for less then 600 dollars, including a lens at the tech-level of the "55-300 PLM"... for at least 2 years...
the only way to gain market share is to better build-quality and more attractive features like the competition...
(what for instance LX and Spotmatic did)

THEN it would be possible that we may see adapters for other lenses, with AF drive.(keep in mind they would also have to build in optical elements in those adapters since the flange focal distance wouldnt allow any other way for most AF optics from other makers since PENTAX mount has a pretty standard FFD app. the same as nikon.
and most optics from other makers.... like Canon for instance have shorter FFDs...

it pretty much comes down to:
you only find adapters to pervert popular lenses for very popular mounts... despite the FFD of 45,46mm..
nikon: 46mm, canon 44mm - what means nearly no... or less than no space to fit adapting mechanisms in between.(the space an adapter would use) the lens and the camera adapter

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-15-2018 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Rude comments removed.
03-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
where am i finding these prices?.....
[/B][/I]
What's up with your vehemence?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-15-2018 at 02:18 AM.
06-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Key features:
1. Mirrorless:
Bring on the EVF, live focus peaking, and auto eye focus through the viewfinder baby!!
BUT! Keep the K-mount as is, a short flange is a trap. It doesn't reduce overall kit size significantly for FF, and there is already plenty of manual legacy glass for native K-mount + M42. Fragmenting the lens lineup with a new mount would be a huge mistake.

2.Improved auto focus:
I personally think this would an easy bi-product of going mirrorless, enabling much more focus points all across the frame.
I think pretty much the same as you. I'd like a K mount mirrorless FF Pentax as well. The phase detect AF of my Pentax DSLRs (K20D, K-x, K-5) has always been a hit and miss experience even after trying to calibrate the body for each lens. Yes, please bring me a FF Pentax with accurate contrast detect AF to use all my K mount lenses with.
06-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I

Moving IBIS for focusing may sound like a good idea but it is going to affect camera design in a bad way.

Camera size is going to increase and the added complexity is going to make the camera much more expensive
and then you get tilt, shift and swing right at the image plane, it's perfect

the next pentax should probably just be a tiny 1x1.5" view camera

re: EVF *quietly mourns the k-01, whose focus peaking was great*
i've only had an easier time focusing with a fresnel screen. autofocus wasn't as good as on the SLRs, though.
06-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ooooo, pixel shift AND Foveon! Why not??? BTW, this is NOT sarcasm!
06-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Ooooo, pixel shift AND Foveon! Why not??? BTW, this is NOT sarcasm!
foveon doesn't need pixel shift, there's no mosaic, even on the quattro. also doesn't exist in 135. also there hasn't been a camera with a wide enough data bus for it not to be excruciatingly slow to offload after each shot. they are absolute beauties but there isn't enough camera for them yet.

---------- Post added 06-25-18 at 08:09 PM ----------

i wouldn't mind seeing a lower resolution and larger buffer. after spending some time with a z1-p and its 4fps burst that doesn't stop or even slow until the roll is done, digital cameras have been lacking in comparison, even as speeds have gone up.

active cooling
07-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #90
Pentaxian

This discussion is really taking off to nowhere.

Who will sell a sensor for a mirrorless APS-C/FF camera to Pentax? Pentax on its own will not produce enough sales to develop their own sensor. Did anyone notice that Nikon moved away from Sony to actually present a FF mirrorless system (soon)?

Does Pentax have the resources to jump on the mirrorless train. No. They are more than busy to support their current lineups.

Pentax is stuck with developing new lenses and AF enginges for lenses and hopefully something else.

Good news: Maybe we will see new Sony sensors earlier in Pentax DSRLs after Nikon jumped boat. Sony will not join the DSLR game, so Pentax future may really be bright.