Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Because they are really good lenses?

Give them the DFA 100 macro WR treatment -- quick shift/weather sealing/maybe a DC motor/HD coating, but keep the optical formula the same. I think that would work fine for most Pentaxians as long as you can still keep the size small.
Then it is no longer an FA Limited. It might be a great lens, but it is a different lens. A DC motor strong enough to move all that glass at current speed standards, keeping the size small, keeping the same formula and the same build standard isn’t possible.

12-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

ok

exposing some of my great lack of knowledge

FA limited lens:

SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited

SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited

DA limited lens:

old - SMC and new - HD relating to the coatings applied to the optical glass

Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited

Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited

Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro

Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited

( I know that because " Limited " is in the name )

and FA means full frame while DA means not full frame ( at least officially )

and " limited " appears not to mean limited as to quality but rather physical size, they are small good or better quality and metal throughout and have quick-shift focusing, allowing you to override the autofocus mechanism at any time, and it also has a proper distance scale.

the closest I have to any is my DA 40mm 2.8 XS which is entirely plastic except for the metallic mount

what if anything am I missing ???

is there something special about the optics of the limited series as well as compared to other Pentax lenses of the same focal length

FYI since I first posted this, I added to my lens collection and now I own a smc Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited that I purchased from a member through the forum's market place

I like it a lot

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-21mm-F3.2-Limited-Lens.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-25-2018 at 06:07 AM. Reason: added updated info
12-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Then it is no longer an FA Limited. It might be a great lens, but it is a different lens. A DC motor strong enough to move all that glass at current speed standards, keeping the size small, keeping the same formula and the same build standard isn’t possible.
Then leave the motor out. But the DA limited zoom is still pretty small while having an in lens motor.
12-25-2017, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly I do not see the FA Limiteds ever being rereleased. Those are different lenses from a different time. Richoh will probably keep making some into the future as long as they sell. We are going to see new DFA and DFA* primes. These will not be the compact lenses of the past. Everyone wants silent focus and that comes at a price, increased size and weight. Eventually Richoh may release a new set of DFA Limited primes but they will not be the compact designs of the past. These, like the DA Limiteds, will be a new set of lenses with modern designs and coatings. When or if this day will ever come is anybody's guess.

12-26-2017, 04:29 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see Pentax continuing the limited lines, even if they get a little bigger. The DA 20-40 limited is very compact zoom with an in lens motor. The thing is that the best way to keep lenses small is to make sure you don't have to large an aperture. That's why the DA limiteds are as small as they are. If you look at the Canon 40mm f2.8 it is a pretty small lens as well even though it does have an in lens motor.
12-26-2017, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 20-40 is not full frame and not a constant aperture which is how it remains small. I would love to see something like a DFA 20-40 limited. You can guarantee if is not a constant aperture people will complain. After getting the DFA 28-105 I do think I will worry about constant aperture zooms anymore. The Cannon 40mm f2.8 is a very small lens. My friend has one. However everyone seems to want f1.4 lenses. A lens at the aperture is not going to be small. Physics simply will not allow it.
12-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
what if anything am I missing?
The DA Limited Zoom (20-40), and the fact that the FA Limiteds do not have the quick-shift feature.

The distance scale is a mixed blessing.
On my DA 15, the true mark is the f/4 DOF indicator, not the official distance mark
(although that doesn't bother me enough for me to need to correct it).
is there something special about the optics of the limited series as well as compared to other Pentax lenses of the same focal length
The SMC DA Limited 40/2.8 has the same optics as your DA 40 XS,
although the XS has rounded aperture blades.

---------- Post added 12-26-17 at 03:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
The DA 20-40 is not full frame and not a constant aperture which is how it remains small. I would love to see something like a DFA 20-40 limited. You can guarantee if is not a constant aperture people will complain.
I for one am happy to have the DA 20-40 as f/2.8 - f/4,
rather than the constant f/4 of the FA 20-35.

12-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The DA Limited Zoom (20-40), and the fact that the FA Limiteds do not have the quick-shift feature.

The distance scale is a mixed blessing.
On my DA 15, the true mark is the f/4 DOF indicator, not the official distance mark
(although that doesn't bother me enough for me to need to correct it).

The SMC DA Limited 40/2.8 has the same optics as your DA 40 XS,
although the XS has rounded aperture blades. . . .
thanks

you have been awarded " Bonus Points " for providing useful knowledge

Remember that " Bonus Points " can be used for the purchase of your favorite beverage at your local " café " when accompanied by an adequate amount of local $
12-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

The DA 20-40 is not full frame and not a constant aperture which is how it remains small. I would love to see something like a DFA 20-40 limited. You can guarantee if is not a constant aperture people will complain.
I for one am happy to have the DA 20-40 as f/2.8 - f/4, rather than the constant f/4 of the FA 20-35.
I don't think making the DA 20-40 constant aperture, which would then have been f/4,
would have helped to reduce its size to any significant degree.

---------- Post added 12-26-17 at 03:44 PM ----------

Remember that " Bonus Points " can be used for the purchase of your favorite beverage at your local " café " when accompanied by an adequate amount of local $
Tea is $0.00 at my local lunch place, so I'll check to see if they accept your Bonus Points!
12-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by dfp771 Quote
I own a Pentax 31mm limited and a 77mm limited, both in silver. They both work great on my K-1. I also just purchased the Pentax 28-105 mm zoom. I really like the quiet, fast focus of this zoom lens. I wish the limited lens would focus as fast and as quiet. Just wondering when/if Pentax will replace the old limited lenses with new full frame versions with DC motors, weather resistance, and the classic optics?
Really good point, especially when it comes to video. You might have to fight me for my 77mm limited at the moment, it's LOVE. That lens and my 30mm 2.8 K are unstoppable. Looking for the perfect 50mm, and might drive a 9 hour round trip in the next few days to pick up a 50mm 1.2 A. I might bring flowers.................. The new 50mm thats coming out looks nice, but a little bulky. Thank you for the post.
12-27-2017, 04:53 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I for one am happy to have the DA 20-40 as f/2.8 - f/4,
rather than the constant f/4 of the FA 20-35.
That lens has been on my LBA radar since it came out. I have the DA 21, DA 35 macro and the DA 40 so I keep resisting. Eventually my resistance will give in though.
12-28-2017, 02:47 AM   #27
Pentaxian

That lens has been on my LBA radar since it came out.
There is, of course, no known cure for LBA,
but the DA 20-40 will at least put it in remission for a while.

When travelling,
I used to keep switching back and forth between a K 24/2.8 and the DA 35 macro for mid-range coverage,
but the DA 20-40 now takes care of all of that (except for real close-ups and macros).
12-29-2017, 03:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Haven't heard any talk about this. So would surprise me if its happening any time soon.
12-29-2017, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Kenspo. Nice to know you are still around! Best to avoid the rowdies in the rumors section.
12-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #30
Pentaxian

It is rather demanding to ask a renewal of the limited. These days, if Ricoh release one new product, you have to be happy.

---------- Post added 31-12-17 at 02:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Haven't heard any talk about this. So would surprise me if its happening any time soon.
Same for me. Last time I was playing golf with Ricoh exec. he did not mention anything LoL