Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
When will Pentax come out with new versions of the Limiteds?

I own a Pentax 31mm limited and a 77mm limited, both in silver. They both work great on my K-1. I also just purchased the Pentax 28-105 mm zoom. I really like the quiet, fast focus of this zoom lens. I wish the limited lens would focus as fast and as quiet. Just wondering when/if Pentax will replace the old limited lenses with new full frame versions with DC motors, weather resistance, and the classic optics?

12-24-2017, 04:20 PM - 11 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dfp771 Quote
Just wondering when/if Pentax will replace the old limited lenses with new full frame versions with DC motors, weather resistance, and the classic optics?
Anyone who knows anything is not talking and anyone who is talking knows nothing.

There is no indication, speculation or rumor that Ricoh has any intention of doing anything with the FA limiteds. Which means nothing because there was absolutely no warning when they re-did the DA limiteds. As you can tell because I am talking, I know nothing.
12-24-2017, 05:39 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the glacial pace of lens releases for the full frame format I hope you are not holding your breath.
12-24-2017, 05:39 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the record... I don't talk much.... and don't know much.... the beauty of it though is I'm ok with that.

12-24-2017, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know less than @jatrax and @noelpolar.

However, I think I know that many users have been really delighted with the FA Limiteds. They seem to carry a grand reputation, so who knows whether they will ever be replaced?
12-24-2017, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

what do I know -

less than what I might claim

and more than some ( including my sisters in law ) give me credit for

and I have no idea about

the new K 3 II replacement and/or

the future replacements for any and all Pentax lenses ever made

but I do know for certain that I wish all happy holidays and a happy new year to come
12-24-2017, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I own a Pentax 31mm limited and a 77mm limited, both in silver. They both work great on my K-1. I also just purchased the Pentax 28-105 mm zoom. I really like the quiet, fast focus of this zoom lens. I wish the limited lens would focus as fast and as quiet. Just wondering when/if Pentax will replace the old limited lenses with new full frame versions with DC motors, weather resistance, and the classic optics?
The problem is that incorporating these features (with current tech) would increase the size of the limiteds, which goes against the design philosophy. They'd have to miniaturize the AF motors and redesign the barrels, which might be a more substantial undertaking.

That said, silent-focusing and weather-sealed limited primes would sell really well IMO. Would love to see some get released.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The problem is that incorporating these features (with current tech) would increase the size of the limiteds, which goes against the design philosophy. They'd have to miniaturize the AF motors and redesign the barrels, which might be a more substantial undertaking.

That said, silent-focusing and weather-sealed limited primes would sell really well IMO. Would love to see some get released.
My opinion is Pentax will keep selling the Three Princesses until people stop buying them, which doesn’t mean they won’t develop new, modern lenses in different focal lengths using the Limited design and production standards.
12-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm sure replacements will be along any day now, complete with 82mm filter threads.
12-25-2017, 02:01 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
With the glacial pace of lens releases for the full frame format I hope you are not holding your breath.
So true
12-25-2017, 03:28 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not soon.
12-25-2017, 05:30 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Most communication from Ricoh about the marketing philosophy for the K1 emphasised the aspect of giving the die-hard fans a camera to use their legacy film era lenses on. They saw this as answering one of the main demands from the traditional user base. There is nothing inherent in this philosophy that includes re-designing new versions of already popular existing lenses.
12-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The DA Limited Zoom is weather resistant and has a "DC motor".
You can compare it with its FF optical predecessor, the FA 20-35 zoom,
which has the same old non-quick-shift screw drive as the FA Limiteds.

The DA Ltd. Zoom is 71 x 68.5mm and weighs 283 gm.
The FA 20-35 is 68 x 70 mm and weighs 245 gm.

The DA Ltd. Zoom gains a little compactness from only having to cover APS-C,
but the bloat caused by the WR and DC technologies is not that bad.
12-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why would anyone want a modern version of an existing FA Limited? On its face that is a contradiction in philosophy.
12-25-2017, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why would anyone want a modern version of an existing FA Limited? On its face that is a contradiction in philosophy.
Because they are really good lenses?

Give them the DFA 100 macro WR treatment -- quick shift/weather sealing/maybe a DC motor/HD coating, but keep the optical formula the same. I think that would work fine for most Pentaxians as long as you can still keep the size small.