Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2018, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Not this again. (Rolls eyes)
Please let me clarify: I have the K-3II and the K-1 and I want to shoot birds, which camera do I grab? The K-3II. Would I hesitate to shoot birds with the K-1? No, not for a second, it will work fine. But, IMHO, for that particular application the K-3II is marginally better because of the lighter camera weight and faster fps. I am not as young as I used to be and for me the K-1 is heavy for holding overhead and shooting, the slightly lighter K-3II is easier. (For Me, YMMV)

The K-1 is not going anywhere, it is my go to body and will remain that for the foreseeable future. I was only trying to point out that different bodies have different advantages for different situations. I also carry a Sony RX-100 for shooting when that is the best body for the job. And I don't hesitate to use my cell phone if that is the best tool for a particular job.

01-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Please let me clarify: I have the K-3II and the K-1 and I want to shoot birds, which camera do I grab? The K-3II. Would I hesitate to shoot birds with the K-1? No, not for a second, it will work fine. But, IMHO, for that particular application the K-3II is marginally better because of the lighter camera weight and faster fps. I am not as young as I used to be and for me the K-1 is heavy for holding overhead and shooting, the slightly lighter K-3II is easier. (For Me, YMMV)

The K-1 is not going anywhere, it is my go to body and will remain that for the foreseeable future. I was only trying to point out that different bodies have different advantages for different situations. I also carry a Sony RX-100 for shooting when that is the best body for the job. And I don't hesitate to use my cell phone if that is the best tool for a particular job.
Sure, Jatrax. I use the K-S2 out in the wild because of the 50% extra reach and frame rate. But if I can get nearer to birds used to people, it's the K-1 with its extra pixels and five way image stabilization. A lot of wildlifers use full frame.

01-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A rare yellow sparrow!...must a hiked into the outback,Clack!
01-24-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A rare yellow sparrow!...must a hiked into the outback,Clack!
A sparrow I've daubed in yellow paint? Your first drink for the day must have been pretty early, Surfar!

Helmeted Honeyeater, the state bird emblem, hence we've not looked after it and there are only about 100 left near Yellingbo.

01-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Your first drink for the day must have been pretty early
Just after midnight and got thru till dawn,it IS holidays ya know!
01-24-2018, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Just after midnight and got thru till dawn,it IS holidays ya know!
Fair 'nuff, I like your style!
01-27-2018, 09:43 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for their contribution of knowledge gained through experience. I super love having this resource.

And as I imagine you might be curious, I ended up with the K1!!! I was so back and forth...back and forth...backkkkk and fooorrrrrrrth. I had actually finally decided on the KP, and decided that I would work for the K1 in hopes of owning it soon. I shopped around, and found Amazon to have the best deal for a new one shipped, had the silver model in my cart, was literally checking out, down to the last screen about to click on "submit order" or something similar, then thought ''well I better double check and see if there wasn't a used KP that had just popped up in the marketplace'' and opened a new screen to check, and there was a K1 with a price drop I couldn't refuse. $1500 with grip and flash, around 2k clicks. Stoked. STOKED!! Funny thing is that right after I agreed to buy, a really nice clean looking KP popped up. Funny how that works...

Anyways, thanks again!

01-27-2018, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thepickledimage Quote
Funny how that works...
Congratulations, i hope it brings you lots of enjoyment.
01-28-2018, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You got a good deal on the K-1! I have never regretted buying the K-1. It is not perfect by any means but it takes lovely photos when given half a chance and is a delight to hold

Last edited by Mikesul; 01-28-2018 at 08:29 AM.
01-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I'd be looking at a K-70 or a K-P. Your main lens is crop the Sigma 17-50. So looking K-1 you are looking at a minimum, K-1 and DFA 28-105. That ups the price quite a bit. Not to mention you won't believe how much wider your A-400 is on a K-1.

The K-3 replacement is an unknown. Lot's of speculation but no announcements or leaks. What the K-3II has that the K-1 doesn't is a 23 shot buffer for burst shooting and 8 FPS frame rate. For printing a 24 MP sensor is pretty darn good. Sure the K-1 will give you better, but if you are currently using a K-50 you can expect a 20-25% larger print with the same quality. It all depends on what you want.

Before I bought my K-1 I'd already collected a good number of FF capable lenses. The 35-80, 50 macro, Sigma 70 macro, Tamron 90 macro, DA 35, FA 50 1.7, DA*200, DA* 60-250, I still wanted the 28-105. Looking at what you're starting with, I seriously doubt you're going to be a happy camper without it on a K-1. And it's the "cheap" K-1 option. The rest are 3 times the price. It's the most expensive Pentax "kit" lens ever. And the other three are the most expensive Pentax "standard zooms" ever.

Save yourself some grief, go with a K-3 or K-3II for action, or K-70/K-P for more conventional shooting.
Unless you have a rich uncle who just died and left you a fortune, look long and hard before you jump to a K-1. DO the math, make sure you're happy with it. You will be severely disappointed by your long lenses going from APS-c to FF. Even your A-400 is too short for many situations on a K-1, and I've had limited success using TCs with that lens. With the 1.7x it's ƒ9.3. By the time you've stopped down to avoid purple fringing, your images are soft because of diffraction. It is however a pretty good APS-c lens.

Too match what you are used to on your A-400 you have to go to 600mm on FF. And it's even more than you'd expect because of the smaller pixel density on the 24 MP sensors. Just going to 24 MP is a pretty big upgrade from a 16 MP sensor. Especially with the accelerator chip in the K-70 and K-P cleaning up noise bringing them up to K-1 standards, one stop less with the same ISO, equal when adjusting for DoF.

Last edited by normhead; 01-28-2018 at 08:28 AM.
01-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good sound advice @normhead, as usual. Except the OP already bought a K-1.