Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

In the market to buy and need help understanding it all..

Aloha all,

Dedicated Pentax user here. On my 2nd K50 body and starting to realize the limitations when printing pretty large, so am in the market for an upgrade. I'm really going back and forth between the KP, K3ii and going K1.

Now I imagine there is a thread or two that can answer my questions, but I am having difficulty sifting through all of this amazing data on this website to find. After digging for two days, and worrying I'll miss a good deal, I have decided to try my luck with you all. So, hoping maybe some of you can point me in the right direction to learn more. (other threads here, online discussions, info elsewhere etc) Again, realizing this could be redundant for some, so a friendly point in the right direction is all thats needed Specifically, I'm curious about the lenses I currently have and if they'll work. I hadn't realized before now that some wouldn't..? I realize my naiveness here. I am also curious about crop mode, more specifically, if using crop mode actually uses less pixels that if I rocked one of the 24mp APS-C. I shoot some surfers with my 400 pretty far away and will be cropping, is that going to flow with the idea of the full frame? Reading all the info out there is honestly just confusing me more.

Here is my current lens line up:
Pentax A 400 5.6
Vivitar Series One 70-210 3.5 and 2.8-4 (Komine and Ciron, I believe? Versions 1 and 3 if I remember correctly.)
Vivitar Series One 28-105 2.8
Pentax M 50 f4 Macro
Pentax SMC DA 50 1.8
Sigma 17-50 2.8 (the one with the quiet motor haha, don't remember all the other letters)
And of course the two kit lenses, 18-55 and 50-200 WR which I'll likely never mount again..
In the market for a DA HD 15 f4.

Will I need to also be in the market for a landscape zoom? Or will the Sigma in crop mode deliver ok? Or would just settling (settling...ha!) for one of the APS-C's be adequate? I'd like to think my next purchase will last me several years, and worry I might feel that sinking, pulling, 'I want the new one!' feeling when the K3ii replacement comes out, should I go with the K3ii, or possibly even the KP.

Possibly noteworthy, I do currently have a GPS-01, though could always sell if I acquire the K3ii or K1.

Any help appreciated you beautiful pentaxians you!!

Ok. Think thats about it. If anyone would like to see my style in case it helps direct me, my website is thepickledimage.com. Hope thats ok to post right here.

Mahalo!!

Last edited by photolady95; 01-22-2018 at 09:27 PM. Reason: removed masked word
01-22-2018, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well. All your lenses are full frame (except for the two kit lenses that you say you'll never mount again) and the DA 15mm which you have not bought.

So. I'd go with the K-1. You get maximum use out of all your lenses. You get 36Mpand all the full frame goodies.

No brainer.

Ragards

Chris
01-22-2018, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thepickledimage Quote
Aloha all,

Dedicated Pentax user here. On my 2nd K50 body and starting to realize the limitations when printing pretty large, so am in the market for an upgrade. I'm really going back and forth between the KP, K3ii and saying f* it and going K1. . . .

Now I imagine there is a thread or two that can answer my questions, but I am having difficulty sifting through all of this amazing data on this website to find. After digging for two days, and worrying I'll miss a good deal, I have decided to try my luck with you all. So, hoping maybe some of you can point me in the right direction to learn more. (other threads here, online discussions, info elsewhere etc) Again, realizing this could be redundant for some, so a friendly point in the right direction is all thats needed . . . SMahalo!!
I don't have the knowledge to tell you what to buy. I rather direct you to where you may find knowledge to make that decision on your own

you can go up to " lenses " and find reviews for Pentax lenses and many third party lenses

some are " In Depth Reviews " and others are reviews by owners of the lenses

PentaxForums.com → Pentax Cameras → Pentax Camera Comparison

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

You can go up to " Cameras " and find similar information on Camera Bodies

these might help as well

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount
Technical Information and a Little Bit of History

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

once you decide what you are looking for, if you are not looking for new equipment, I advise you to check the Market Place [ " buy/sell" ] here at the forum.

I have had good luck there
01-22-2018, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

K-1...I had 2 k-50s before I got K-1....the Bigma Sigma 50-500mm may help with surfing shots or a 1.4x Tele converter.

Nothing wrong with the two WR lenses in crop mode for when its a bit rainy.

Last edited by surfar; 01-22-2018 at 09:40 PM.
01-22-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Well. All your lenses are full frame (except for the two kit lenses that you say you'll never mount again) and the DA 15mm which you have not bought.

So. I'd go with the K-1. You get maximum use out of all your lenses. You get 36Mpand all the full frame goodies.

No brainer.

Ragards

Chris
Siiick, thanks seventhdr!!

And Asylfox that Pentax lens compatibility chart is totally what I needed!! Thanks for all the help!!
01-22-2018, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are in the market to buy new equipment

check out the deals and benefits with buying from the forum's sponsors

and one of them BH is still running a special on a K 3 II plus its designated battery grip $836.50

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit B&H # PEK32G (B&H Kit)

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit B&H Photo Video

the savings is on the battery grip less than $ 7 over the price of the K 3 II by itself
01-22-2018, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I would ask what you mean by "pretty large"? 16 x 24 is printable @ 200dpi and I've done plenty of those on metal from the K-5. If you are just looking for more pixels to crop then the K-1 is of course going to be the most @ 36MP. But if you are shooting sports it might not be the best choice if you need a high frame rate, the K-1 is rated @ 4.4 fps. The KP might be better @ 7 fps or the K-3II @ 8 fps

01-22-2018, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

No brainer.

Ragards

Chris
The Sigma 17-50 is great, but APS-C.

01-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I guess I would ask what you mean by "pretty large"? 16 x 24 is printable @ 200dpi and I've done plenty of those on metal from the K-5. If you are just looking for more pixels to crop then the K-1 is of course going to be the most @ 36MP. But if you are shooting sports it might not be the best choice if you need a high frame rate, the K-1 is rated @ 4.4 fps. The KP might be better @ 7 fps or the K-3II @ 8 fps
Thanks jatrax. I guess pretty large for me is 16x24 and up. I've been having luck with 16x24 and received a 20x30 and a 16x30 today that I'm pretty pleased with. Just noticing its taking me a bit of extra time to ensure the noise isn't too visible on these sizes and larger. I am quite confident I could be very happy with what the asp-c's will produce, just thinking heck, if I'm buying anyways, is there something keeping from splurging on the K1..? Idk. Perhaps getting way too deep and should realize any of the mentioned cameras will do the job I need, adequately. I guess living on Kaua'i surrounded by art collectors and appreciators with deep pockets makes me think printing some island shots around 40x60 and such could be fun...

---------- Post added 01-22-18 at 10:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
K-1...I had 2 k-50s before I got K-1....the Bigma Sigma 50-500mm may help with surfing shots or a 1.4x Tele converter.

Nothing wrong with the two WR lenses in crop mode for when its a bit rainy.
How similar! Thanks for sharing. I've had my eye on that Bigma for a while now. Couldn't pass up an offer on the A400 last fall and am now also considering that 1.4tc you mentioned. I think that would be a good combo.
01-22-2018, 11:12 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thepickledimage Quote
I am quite confident I could be very happy with what the asp-c's will produce, just thinking heck, if I'm buying anyways, is there something keeping from splurging on the K1..? Idk.
I currently have the K-1 and the K-3II. For a while I tried to use the K-1 for everything because it was the 'new' camera and the K-3II was the 'backup'. But I've gotten over that and use each when most appropriate. Went out shooting night skyline of the city with the K-1 last week and got some amazing shots. Shooting birds or hiking just for fun? I'll take the K-3II.

The K-1 is truly an amazing camera but it is a landscape focused camera. I don't think there is much out there that is significantly better than it is at slow deliberate landscape shots. But shooting fast action or run and gun? Not the right tool.
01-23-2018, 04:57 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But shooting fast action or run and gun? Not the right tool.
Not this again. (Rolls eyes)

01-23-2018, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As mentioned, all of your lenses will work with any of the cameras, but if you buy the 15, you’ll be using the K-1 in crop mode at 15MP instead of 36MP, or 24MP with the K3ii and KP.

The other point to consider is the crop factor of the APSC bodies. You mentioned shooting surfers with the A400, to get a similar view you would add the 1.4 TC with the K-1.

I think all of the cameras would be more than capable of doing what you are going to ask of them. Good luck in your decision!
01-23-2018, 05:13 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As mentioned, all of your lenses will work with any of the cameras, but if you buy the 15, you’ll be using the K-1 in crop mode at 15MP instead of 36MP, or 24MP with the K3ii and KP.

The other point to consider is the crop factor of the APSC bodies. You mentioned shooting surfers with the A400, to get a similar view you would add the 1.4 TC with the K-1.

I think all of the cameras would be more than capable of doing what you are going to ask of them. Good luck in your decision!
01-23-2018, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

To try to answer all the questions.

First, thanks for the elegance with which you request help Sincerely.

Second, almost all your lenses are full frame indeed. What this means is that there will be no need to use the K-1's crop factor in most cases. You'll be using the full 36 MP.

If you do use lenses in crop mode (by choice or necessity) then indeed you will get 15 MP images with the K-1. In that regard, using a 24 MP APS-C sensor gives you more resolution with an APS-C's field of view.

And here's the thing : if your objective is to capture high-resolution details of subjects far away, then (assuming your lenses can deliver the necessary resolution) you are better off with an APS-C sensor with a higher resolution.

The K-1's sensor will give you more dynamic range, better high ISO performances, better ergonomics than anything you've seen so far, but it's also larger, more expensive and heavier.

Using the K-1 almost exclusively, I can vouch for it, but as with everything there are trade-offs.
01-23-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

No brainer.

Ragards

Chris
I believe his Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 is also designed for APS-C ("crop").