Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tethering K1

Is anyone familiar with the basic Lightroom tethering plug-in that Ricoh has for the K!? I'm trying to set it up and it say no camera detected. I've gone over the set up and my settings are correct. Any ideas?

03-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you plug in the camera to your computer is it recognized? USB system should see the K-1 and do a bit of setup, then it should show as "PENTAX K-1" in explorer. Assuming Windows. If you are on a Mac, not sure but you still should see the camera in finder. If not then the issue is not Lightroom but your computer.
03-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When you plug in the camera to your computer is it recognized? USB system should see the K-1 and do a bit of setup, then it should show as "PENTAX K-1" in explorer. Assuming Windows. If you are on a Mac, not sure but you still should see the camera in finder. If not then the issue is not Lightroom but your computer.
Hi jatrax,

I'm using windows 10 . Sorry I should have stated that. My computer sees the camera when I plug it in. I inadvertently installed the plug in for transmitter 2 and Lightroom saw the K1, however, I don't have the transmitter 2 software so t wouldn't work
03-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You may need to change the camera's USB mode.

Tethering Guide for the Pentax Lightroom Plugin - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok,
I have win 10 as well.

I plug in the camera and Windows recognizes it.
Start Lightroom and "start a tethering session" and the tether bar appears at the top with K-1 connected.
Press button and it takes a picture.

On yours at what point does the error occur?
03-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
HI Adam,

I did change the USB mode. It didn't solve the problem

---------- Post added 03-06-2018 at 11:11 AM ----------

Hi jatrax,

It's the same as you described, but the tethering bar says no camera.
03-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm stumped.

-Reboot?
-Different usb port?
-Try accessing the card on the camera via explorer when it shows as connected? what happens?
-Uninstall the transmitter 2 software?
-turn off the Pentax tether app in Lightroom plugin manager, exit LR, reboot, re-enable the plugin and try again
-check camera firmware?
-set USB connection to PTP in the camera menu
-turn on diagnostic log in the tethering plugin and see if it logs anything
-uninstall tethering plug in, reboot, reinstall and try again
-make sure camera is turned on?

03-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm stumped.

-Reboot?
-Different usb port?
-Try accessing the card on the camera via explorer when it shows as connected? what happens?
-Uninstall the transmitter 2 software?
-turn off the Pentax tether app in Lightroom plugin manager, exit LR, reboot, re-enable the plugin and try again
-check camera firmware?
-set USB connection to PTP in the camera menu
-turn on diagnostic log in the tethering plugin and see if it logs anything
-uninstall tethering plug in, reboot, reinstall and try again
-make sure camera is turned on?
Is the Transmitter II software needed for the basic plug-in? I thought it was only needed for the T2 plug-in. What about a cable is there a specific cable that should be used? I tried it with a basic cable and not one that was specifically for tethering. Although when I installed the T2 plug-in with the generic cable the plug-in did see the camera.
03-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Transmitter II software is not needed. I've never downloaded it. That's why I suggested you remove it, it might be conflicting with the basic app. Just speculating.

Cord I use is just a vanilla USB cord. Same one I charge my phone with in fact. If the computer sees the camera in explorer then the cord you have is fine.

OK. Just plugged mine in again to test. With camera plugged into USB and turned on I can go to explorer and navigate to "Pentax K-1" then to "removable storage" then to DCIM and see the image files located on the camera card. Try that on your computer and make sure you can navigate to and see the image files. If you can then that shows there is nothing wrong with the hardware part of this as Windows can see the images.
03-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is Lightroom fully updated? Have you installed the Pentax Tethered Capture Plug-in for Adobe PENTAX Tethered Capture Plug-in for Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom®(Simple Version) for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING ?
03-13-2018, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

or... My Pentax wifi remote software - PentaxForums.com
05-20-2020, 01:06 AM   #12

Hi,
I have a question concerning tethering te K-1 Mk II to Lightroom or indeed in general to a macbook pro. Back in the days when I bought my K-7 a dedicated cable was in the package, but not with the K-1 mk II. Can anyone recommend a specific type of cable/manufacturer? I tried a card reader but this specific card is only recognised by the camera so I am not able to transfer the images to my Macbook pro.

Sorry if this question has been sufficiently dealt with elsewhere, and thank you for your support!

Pentaprism321
05-20-2020, 08:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The cable itself is just a standard USB micro. You probably have one laying around. I prefer high quality cables from reliable manufacturers but I'm not sure it makes much difference. Odd that the card will not be seen in your card reader though, what type of card is it?

PS: May I suggest that when asking a new question you start your own thread instead of adding on to an old one? Not everyone gets notices of additional posts to old threads so you usually get a faster response to a new thread.

And welcome to the forum!
05-21-2020, 01:45 AM   #14

The cable itself is just a standard USB micro. You probably have one laying around. I prefer high quality cables from reliable manufacturers but I'm not sure it makes much difference. Odd that the card will not be seen in your card reader though, what type of card is it?

PS: May I suggest that when asking a new question you start your own thread instead of adding on to an old one? Not everyone gets notices of additional posts to old threads so you usually get a faster response to a new thread.

And welcome to the forum!
Thank you for your quick reply. This is an older Sandisk 16 Gb SDHC-1 card. I have a few more older cards that I cannot read anymore, might be worth a new thread to see if anyone knows how to retrieve the data on them.
05-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you trying to read the card on mac or PC? If Mac there are some known incompatibilities but I know little about Mac products. A new thread discussing that would be interesting. On PC I'm not aware of any general issues but perhaps the card reader itself is the issue. Have you tried a different card reader? or an assortment of cards in that reader to see if there is a pattern?

Standard answer would be to reformat the card and see if that helps but if there is data on them you want then that is not a good answer. I would try a different reader before going that route.