Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m quite confident Pentax has a production plan to supply the upgrade boards and a process design to install them. The issue in the US and Canada will be whether Ricoh Imaging NA is up to the task of coordinating the plan with Japan and supervising Precision implementing the upgrade process.
The logistics/depot operations are the key to success in an endevour like this. Plan for failure - execute for success.

The only way we will ever know - is how the upgrade swap is executed. If it all goes well, even with a few small manageable hiccups along the way - it will be a success. This should be very doable.

03-09-2018, 11:34 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I have two K-1 bodies, I will only be offering up one of them in the first wave of upgrades. If the process goes smoothly, I will then spend a month comparing the upgrade with the original. Only then will I consider getting my silver beauty upgraded....
03-10-2018, 03:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The addition of the Accelerator chip to the K-1 certainly intrigues me. So I may go down the path of the body upgrade.

K-1 already has great high-ISO (top DSLR score for high-ISO on dxomark). If the Accelerator chip can bump RAW high-ISO performance up a further notch or two, with decent image quality, it could be a real plus for low-light sports shooting, which is always a struggle to get good results with when shooting telephoto.
03-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I wonder if they'll maybe give a free sensor clean while on the operating table.
They cleaned my sensor and internals when I sent my K-1 in for AF re-calibration (it was knocked out of spec when a tripod blew over). No reason to believe they won't do the same with a major service like this.

Edit: for extra data - I had a wholly positive experience with Precision with that service. The 'order status' page was barely updated along the way, but I got my camera back quicker than I expected. The hardware fix was acceptable and I didn't notice any other problems after getting it back.

03-10-2018, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$700AUD for the upgrade in Oz, that's quite a significant chunk.

I mean... I bought my KP for $1200AUD, and it's a whole 'second body' with some of the benefits touted for the K-1II. If i was a K-1 owner and thinking of getting a second body I'd maybe put those funds toward that than the upgrade.
03-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Seems kind of gimmicky, pricey and a hassle to go through all that for the upgrade, unless of course it enhances your quality of life, then by all means.....

My friends do call me a cynic but skeptic is probably more accurate......
03-10-2018, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's not compulsory. Being given a choice can't be bad.

03-10-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It's not compulsory. Being given a choice can't be bad.
That is true, it's really case by case, some individuals and circumstances will make this upgrade seem warranted, others perhaps not so much. It's great to have choice.
03-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I plan on upgrading. I had a great experience with Precision in repairing my K-1 when It has the mode issue that occurred during a 4-day Photo workshop.

---------- Post added 03-11-18 at 08:11 AM ----------

I want to mention that Precision received, repaired, and shipped my repaired K-1 out in a week so I was without for about a week and a half. No problems since. Was nice to have gotten it back cleaned and checked.

---------- Post added 03-11-18 at 08:12 AM ----------

I want to mention that Precision received, repaired, and shipped my repaired K-1 out in a week so I was without for about a week and a half. No problems since. Was nice to have gotten it back cleaned and checked.
03-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
As I have two K-1 bodies, I will only be offering up one of them in the first wave of upgrades. If the process goes smoothly, I will then spend a month comparing the upgrade with the original. Only then will I consider getting my silver beauty upgraded....
Please let us know how that goes Sandy, keen to hear your thoughts

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
They cleaned my sensor and internals when I sent my K-1 in for AF re-calibration (it was knocked out of spec when a tripod blew over). No reason to believe they won't do the same with a major service like this.

Edit: for extra data - I had a wholly positive experience with Precision with that service. The 'order status' page was barely updated along the way, but I got my camera back quicker than I expected. The hardware fix was acceptable and I didn't notice any other problems after getting it back.
If the $700AUD for the upgrade also does include some kind of basic service such as a clean then the value definitely increases. I have to admit, I'm still all kinda new to this photography stuff, what's the deal with servicing equipment (well expensive equipment such as a K-1)?
I only once got my K-50 cleaned by a local seller, and once sent it in (to Pentax) for a Aperture Block failure. I'm needing pointed in a general direction/thread that talks about equipment maintenance etc.
For example; with things like shutter count, does this mean cameras generally have a shelf life? When the shutter count gets ridiculously high can you replace the parts with new ones, kinda 'resetting' the shutter count? Or is it generally a new camera purchased by that point?
Can you get difference focus screens, send them in with your K-1 for the upgrade, get them to replace that as well (for additional costs) etc, stuff like that? (not saying I would do that, just randomly thinking of stuff that folk might want to do to their camera that involves a more experienced technician).
Convert sensor to monochrome?
03-11-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
For example; with things like shutter count, does this mean cameras generally have a shelf life? When the shutter count gets ridiculously high can you replace the parts with new ones, kinda 'resetting' the shutter count? Or is it generally a new camera purchased by that point?
Each camera model is made with a shutter rated for a certain estimated design life. Some shutters may give out before that count, and some are known to still be alive and kicking well after (2x) beyond their shutter rating. It's a question of probability of failure of given system of parts, and the conditions that the camera has been put through. When a shutter gives out, it can be replaced easily enough. These things are modular. As long as the service shop has parts in stock, which may be problematic for very old or rare models. I may go ahead and have my K-1 shutter replaced as well if/when I do the K-1ii upgrade.
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Can you get difference focus screens, send them in with your K-1 for the upgrade, get them to replace that as well (for additional costs) etc, stuff like that? (not saying I would do that, just randomly thinking of stuff that folk might want to do to their camera that involves a more experienced technician).
Convert sensor to monochrome?
Different focusing screens are possible, but most of them are made by 3rd party companies rather than Pentax itself. Pentax made a few for prior flagship models (as far as I understand), like the K-5 family and the K-3 (I believe) family. I haven't heard of any available for the K-1 yet, but I haven't looked into it much. Changing out the focusing screens in the K-5 family is a piece of cake, and didn't require a trip to a service shop. I did mine myself. I'm uninformed about doing that for a K-3. But as I understand, the system that holds the K-1 focusing screen in the body isn't made to be as easily manipulated or replaced.

Sensor modifications are usually done by 3rd party too. There are a few shops that will mod Pentax products to full IR or monochrome. Not sure if they're up to speed doing that for the K-1 though. Sorry - I don't have enough experience or information to answer that sensibly.
03-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I know we will never get the numbers but I would love to know at the end of the upgrade period for original K1’s how many they did and how many K1ii’s they sold.
04-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have nothing but praise for the repairs done by CRK in Australia, so I have no concerns on that front.
I've had one bad experience with them fixing a DA 21 Ltd - it took a few months before they decided it was too hard to do and offered me a brand new one for the price of the cost of repair. It also took me having to call them to find out how it was "progressing" (in actual fact it didn't - it just got stuck in Japan). I've heard similar stories before too from Pentaxians on other forums. So I wouldn't say they're amazing...
04-05-2018, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

I wonder if Sun Camera will accept K-1s from owners in the US for the upgrade? Given the concerns about Precision Camera it might worth the higher shipping costs, etc. for the peace of mind.