Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2018, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #16

It is actually hard to see a difference, and I'm a bit disappointed.
K1 II images are not any better, but also not worse. The noise is a bit less grainy on K1 II which makes it feel more soft, however the amount of details is similar. Focus is a bit different in these images and DOF is shallow, so it makes it hard to judge.
However, I was expecting much more, particularly after seeing what KP can do, e.g. here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-kp-review/high-iso-performance.html

KP has the same sensor as K3II and the difference is *obvious*.

Maybe the accelerator chip needs to be activated somehow in the options?

03-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pihe Quote
Yep. All the same settings.
What are they?

Recheck please....
03-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
What are they?

Recheck please....
All set to Auto, except for WB, which was set to Tungsten. One might argue if this is the best setting for an ISO test, but I tried to simulate real life (this is why you don't see a boring chart, but a one-bulb lightsource in a dark room), and thus the camera will decide the degree of Nr.
Anyway, you'll see the RAWs, where Nr doesn't count.
03-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I love JPEG.
Would be good a comparison with High-ISO NR disabled, in this way you can also check if the accelerator unit has a real effect or it's a marketing stuff in the software.

Last edited by Andrea K; 03-28-2018 at 08:14 AM.
03-28-2018, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At ISO6400, the K1 II image is slightly better.
03-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What am I missing here? If this is representative the reviewers are going to have a field day with this.
03-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I think when you find areas of the image that are in similar focus and similar shading, then the K-1 II is looking better (maybe by 3/4 of a stop).
There does seem to be some WB variation between the two too.
Possibly he problem is that the JPG is applying NR at the same rate as the K-1 (when it could be applying less on the II). I think we will see better performance with RAW files but I'm guessing the improvement might be more like 1 stop (K1 to K1 II RAW) but we will have to wait to see.

03-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
What am I missing here? If this is representative the reviewers are going to have a field day with this.
That's a worry of mine too.
Pentax is doomed (TM) will start to flow out of people immediately.
03-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Image downsizing reduces noise rather effectively. After downsizing, differences can't be distinguished. I'm afraid the comparison is not relevant.
03-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Królik Quote
KP has the same sensor as K3II and the difference is *obvious*.
We don't know if the KP has the same sensor as the K3II. If we look at the timeframe of the release of the KP its around the same time that other manufactures also released cameras with newer Sony sensors.
What we see in these newer Sensors is a Dual gain design and this does decrease the noise at higher iso in those cameras.

Until we see someone that has tested the KP my bet is that Dual Gain is what has decreased the higher iso noise found in the KP
03-28-2018, 11:10 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
At ISO6400, the K1 II image is slightly better.
The K-1 image seems sharper; is the K-1 II image slightly out of focus? But I only looked at the JPG presented on the screen, not the full image.
03-29-2018, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #27

From what I've seen from others, what scarce information was available on the web.

The accelerator engine gives better low light capabilities, ie better shadows, less noise and black rather than purple at high ISO.

That said, the K1 has amazing image quality already. If people are expecting magic to be created they are having unrealistic expectations.

I think you will find the biggest difference at low light. At least that's what other sources showed.
03-29-2018, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flickr is probably not the best site for showing these. In the singles - in-Challenge we have a documented difference in resolution between LR and Flickr. Just as advisory before half of the posters here start contemplating hari-kari
03-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Flickr is probably not the best site for showing these. In the singles - in-Challenge we have a documented difference in resolution between LR and Flickr. Just as advisory before half of the posters here start contemplating hari-kari
So posting direct to forum - 100% crops of the noise might be best?
03-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by gylfimag Quote
These photos are a bit disappointing though
Sorta depends on how you look at it. From the perspective of someone who wants to get a K1 but the price of the mk2 is a little high this is good news. Anyone who doesn’t wanna upgrade but doesn’t want to miss out on image quality this could also be assuring. To my knowledge none of the II cameras have had night and day differences to the original bodies in terms of image quality which hopefully shows how hard Pentax worked to produce maximum quality the first time around.