Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Will my K1ii ship on the 11th of April or ????

Is any one ellse tired of waiting?

I'm eager to start shooting Pentax again. It's been close to 20 years since I retired my K1000 and my MX. And 7 years ago I started shooting digital with a Nikon d3100 I recieved as a gift. It was quickly upgraded to a d5200 and some nicer lenses.

I felt it was time to get a Professional grade camers at the first of the year and was looking in to pentax and was on the fence when they anounce the K1ii. So I decided to switch brands and hopefully use some of my sons extensive vintage lenses. Now I'm just tired of waiting and it's hard to get out and go shoot knowing that I'll just have to shoot it again when the Pentax finally gets here.

I've attached a few of last weeks shots taken with the d5200 and a tokina 11-15mm lens. How much beter could they be if I had the Pentax?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D5200  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D5200  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D5200  Photo 
03-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtstgeorge Quote

I'm eager to start shooting Pentax again. It's been close to 20 years since I retired my K1000 and my MX. And 7 years ago I started shooting digital with a Nikon d3100 I recieved as a gift. It was quickly upgraded to a d5200 and some nicer lenses.

I felt it was time to get a Professional grade camers at the first of the year and was looking in to pentax and was on the fence when they anounce the K1ii. So I decided to switch brands and hopefully use some of my sons extensive vintage lenses. Now I'm just tired of waiting and it's hard to get out and go shoot knowing that I'll just have to shoot it again when the Pentax finally gets here.

I've attached a few of last weeks shots taken with the d5200 and a tokina 11-15mm lens. How much beter could they be if I had the Pentax?
If you want something right now, there's always the original K-1

Folks in the UK have started taking delivery as of today. I'm sure it'll make its way over to the US sooner rather than later.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

At size 800x pixels, I'm afraid that the extra image information collected by the full frame sensor has gone down the drain during the downsizing of the image.
03-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I bet the difference between a K1 II and d5200 would be hard to tell.

03-28-2018, 10:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

... hard to tell at web size.
03-28-2018, 11:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IHow much beter could they be if I had the Pentax?
First, the biggest factor will be the lens youʻll put on the K-1 II vs. the D5200. But if all things are equal:

a) The K-1 II with 36MP and no anti-aliasing filter vs. D5200 24MP with AA filter.
b) Better low light and/or high ISO performance.
c) Weather sealed, so more likely to continue shooting in poor weather.
d) Brighter and bigger pentaprism vs. pentamirror for your optical view finder.
e) Option for pixel shifting and astrotracer.

The K-1 II is about twice the weight of the D5200 and there is not built-in flash. But in nearly every other category, youʻre going to have a new camera that is much more capable and other than the lens, the main limitation is the skill and eye of the photographer.
03-29-2018, 12:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax full frame is the best for landscape shooting, has all the feature and if you can also grab some good lens you're good to go in all weather!
Camera resolution even with no PS is unbelievable, and I'm taking about printing large formats or 4K display.

I've never shot with a Nikon camera but after trying a couple other brands I always find Pentax color rendition to be the best.

I'm pretty sure you will receive your camera in a couple days...

03-29-2018, 03:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some people waited decades for the K-1, so another couple of weeks won't hurt. Or if you're really desparate you can hop on a plane and come over here, they're in stock at Wex and SRS - both have click-and-collect...SRS are more convenient from Heathrow Airport. You'd have it in your hands by tomorrow, plus a break in London to try it out!
03-29-2018, 04:34 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-1II was only officially announced just over a month ago... To quote a line from "The Firm":

"Tad eager, are we, Mr McDeere?"

Lovely shots. At this size of reproduction, I doubt you'll see much improvement with the K-1II and whatever lens(es) you're intending to use. There will be situations where the increased dynamic range is helpful, and at larger reproduction sizes the extra resolution and detail will be noticeable. Subject separation at larger apertures for the same distance and field of view will be useful creatively. And I'm sure the high ISO performance will impress. Expect significant but not transformational improvements in IQ... Your photos will still depend largely on your own ability
03-29-2018, 05:32 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want something right now, there's always the original K-1

Folks in the UK have started taking delivery as of today. I'm sure it'll make its way over to the US sooner rather than later.
Multiple people have reported K-1 availability in stores in France, Netherlands and in UK. I assume K-1 Mark II is released first in Europe.

-Emsee
03-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #11

Nice pictures. Appears to be either Zion near the top of the Narrows, Kolob area of Zion or some where out on the Escalante or Snow Canyon. Am I correct? As others said, you probably won't see much difference with these types of shots. Its when you get into more challenging needs, then the additional capabilities of the Pentax will become apparent.
04-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kchamber4 Quote
Nice pictures. Appears to be either Zion near the top of the Narrows, Kolob area of Zion or some where out on the Escalante or Snow Canyon. Am I correct? As others said, you probably won't see much difference with these types of shots. Its when you get into more challenging needs, then the additional capabilities of the Pentax will become apparent.
correct, upper zion's