Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What should the next Pentax full frame camera be?
A K-1 III, with even more improvements, especially AF and video 3429.06%
A new 24MP camera at a lower price point, to stop people from going to the A7III 1311.11%
A higher resolution camera, 48MP or whatever is available, with improvements to AF and video 2218.80%
The smallest full frame camera possible, even if that means less controls on the body. 24 or 36MP. 1613.68%
A retro full frame with aperture, ISO and shutter speed controls - a "SLR of old" experience camera. 1512.82%
A new full frame camera with the "SLR of old" type controls, made specifically for monochrome 65.13%
Other (specify) 119.40%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SimonAtkinson Quote
The reason I switched to Pentax and the K1 was because it was selling itself as a phenomenal stills camera. Being a landscape photographer, I wasn't interested in video, fast auto focus, fast fps, lots of focus points etc which is why the K1 was so appealing, they invested their resources into making a camera aimed at stills photography, especially landscapes with the weather sealing, pixelshift/astrotracer/composition adjustment.

I'd be rather annoyed if the K1 successor didn't build on this (even better image quality and most importantly, even better dynamic range) and instead decide to try and make the new camera a jack of all trades, master of none kind of camera by focusing primarily on just improving auto focus and speed.

I remember the reason years ago why I bought a Canon 5Dmk2, it was a phenomenal stills camera at the time, then the mk3 came out and it improved on none of the image quality factors that made the Mk2 so amazing, they instead improved the focus and speed, thus losing its identity in my mind as a great stills camera and just a 'does a bit of everything camera' hence why I left Canon years ago.

So to summarise, stay on the image quality path, better quality sensor with a truly amazing dynamic range.
Well, they can still do that, and improve on other aspects as well. It shouldn't be either/or. In fact, the K-1 mark II improved the AF algorithms and should been seen as a good step forward with a clear focus to keep improving the image quality. I fear however that all the noise of "this upgrade wasn't enough!" will make them change focus a bit (no pun intended...), but I agree with you, IQ needs to be #1 and then they should continue to improve the AF, FPS and video as a consequence of new processors becoming available with more processing power and enhancements already built in for those areas.

06-26-2018, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I vote for FF 645D.
07-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #78

What I would like to see

I would like to see Pentax take note from Canon and Nikon and have several full frame lines.
I would love to see them remake the MZ-D, which was a 6mm full frame digital before Canon or Nikon.

I think it should follow like this

MZ-D=1dx mk ii and D5
k1 line=5d series and d800 series
a cheaper full frame = 6d and d700 series
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS D30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS D30  Photo 
07-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #79
Forum Member

Chose other; Aquired the k-1 (not mark II) when the mark II was already out. I like it the way it is but higher buffer capacity and faster burst (at least similar to the 7 fps k-5 would be nice). Also more af points over a larger area are welcome. I'd love a retro interface but the number of external dials already cover the essentials, so if I had to choose I'd go with the other upgrades.

07-11-2018, 05:23 AM   #80
Veteran Member

-ISO25
-MILC with Official K-mount adapter
-Official Canon EOS Adapter by Pentax for fitting TS-E lenses
-K-1 feature set for working with long exposures
-K-1 ergonomics feature set
-Better liveview for seeing in dim light
-70MP+ with pixel binning

Price 4000$

Canon MILC will fit some of those but not the ones which really matter.
07-11-2018, 05:45 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
-Official Canon EOS Adapter by Pentax for fitting TS-E lenses
I am familiar with EF, EF-S, and EF-M lenses. What do you mean by TS-E lenses??
07-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Tilt-Shift with electronic aperture control. Canon uses TSE letters for those. Optically The very best DSLR lenses there are for their focal lengths. Mk2 series of wide angles and L-versions for 50, 90 and 135mm.

07-11-2018, 07:17 PM - 2 Likes   #83
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So now that the K-1 II has been out for a while, and it's basically still the same camera with some improvements, what should the next Pentax full frame camera be?
And why?
K-1 Mark III IVG (Integrated Vertical Grip)
The camera with an integrated vertical grip instead of attaching an optional vertical grip will be lighter weight, lower cost and can have the tripod socket aligned with the center of the optical axis. This is much more important to me than storing an additional media card in the grip. I have a weather sealed container for small parts that is securely attached to my camera neck strap that can store the Hot Shoe Cap, Viewfinder Cap, Sync Socket Cap and spare media cards. BTW, I never remove the vertical grip on my K-1 Mark II. I modified my Stroboframe Vertiflip with an additional 1/4-20 threaded hole so I can center my micro-softbox equipped Pentax AF-540FGZ Flash above the optical axis whether the camera is held horizontal or vertical. Doing this allows for a fairly quick set-up when I need to do grip-n-grin type public relations photos.

I would also like to have the next generation K-1 be capable of doing Pixel Shift resolution with electronic flash by allowing the user to set a delay, measured in number of seconds, between each successive PSR exposure. A sizable portion of my photography is studio still life lighted with electronic flash.

It would be great to have a Sigma Corporation type user removable IR cut filter.

And, of course, bring back the Dust Alert Menu setting! This was a fantastic feature.

I'd most likely need a significant Megapixel increase to justify buying a new dSLR after having recently spent nearly $2,000.00 on the K-1 Mark II.

4K Video? Hell no! I can buy a light weight and compact Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2500 for under $1,000.00 that has an integrated lens and is loaded with many desirable features including built-in neutral density filters.

More AF points and increased frames per second? No thank you. I don't need it and I'm not willing to pay for it.

Dennis
07-14-2018, 03:47 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Other: a compact, high quality mirrorless with K mount.
07-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Other: a compact, high quality mirrorless with K mount.
I think many of us have dreamed of this for years.
07-14-2018, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #86
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I think many of us have dreamed of this for years.
Well, I came to Pentax from Sony, A7R. Great camera, but...mirrorless really isn't the second coming. It's nice for some things, and you trim your weight and size down a bit, but that comes with its own problems, such as cramped ergonomics and lens-body imbalances (although this last has improved a bit). For me, the K1 series is about as compact as is completely comfortable strictly from the standpoint of usage. The Z is better. And while there are times when the current crop of EVF's are handy, most of the time the OVF is still better---and I liked the A7R's EVF! I'd rather see Pentax concentrate on their niche---they are not going to be the # 1,2, or 3 company. But they could be a very healthy 4. Just work on improving what they have, AFAIC.
07-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #87

I'm tending to go with 24 Mpixel full frame with larger buffer , It should push towards faster frame rates and better noise levels.

Better support for manual lenses, why just the centre point? Firmware improvements would go a long way. If I could tell it the wide open aperture and dial in the aperture i am using (ok i would need to adjust the aperture ring for the camera to get the exposure right). Then the camera should be able to get the exposure right.
I know that wouldn't make for a joe average user friendly camera settings but it doesn't have to be either or.

Obviously Pentax needs to work on accurate fast auto focus too and improve the video handling, we could shoot some beautiful video footage with vintage lenses.

Sometimes I just want to be working in manual other times AF and not thinking too much also appeals. I'm not looking for my last camera but something that can be improved on in future generations. I'd like Pentax to draw on its history as well as its future.
07-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, I came to Pentax from Sony, A7R. Great camera, but...mirrorless really isn't the second coming. It's nice for some things, and you trim your weight and size down a bit, but that comes with its own problems, such as cramped ergonomics and lens-body imbalances (although this last has improved a bit). For me, the K1 series is about as compact as is completely comfortable strictly from the standpoint of usage. The Z is better. And while there are times when the current crop of EVF's are handy, most of the time the OVF is still better---and I liked the A7R's EVF! I'd rather see Pentax concentrate on their niche---they are not going to be the # 1,2, or 3 company. But they could be a very healthy 4. Just work on improving what they have, AFAIC.
Do you hold the camera and lens with two hands?
"Imbalance" should not be a thing in that case.
07-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do you hold the camera and lens with two hands?
"Imbalance" should not be a thing in that case.
I agree. A lot of people talk about poor balance and I always assume they like to hold the camera up with one hand. Never a good practice. We hear this all the time about small cameras and big lenses. Weight and size matter but I can compensate for most imbalance problems . A significantly front heavy lens is a bit uncomfortable but can be managed.
07-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The poll would be much more compelling if I wasn't so happy with the K-1.
The only improvement I'm looking for is a D500 type APS-c body. Full frame for me means landscape and the K-1 is awesome. Why mess with success?

Was there an "I'm good, I'll pass on this round." option and I missed it?
This is my sentiment as well. I would add interchangeable focusing screens and significantly more AF points (IOW a new PDAF AF sensor - that will probably come from the next APSc flagship, unfortunately), and a deeper buffer and faster throughput (UHS3).