Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What should the next Pentax full frame camera be?
A K-1 III, with even more improvements, especially AF and video 3429.06%
A new 24MP camera at a lower price point, to stop people from going to the A7III 1311.11%
A higher resolution camera, 48MP or whatever is available, with improvements to AF and video 2218.80%
The smallest full frame camera possible, even if that means less controls on the body. 24 or 36MP. 1613.68%
A retro full frame with aperture, ISO and shutter speed controls - a "SLR of old" experience camera. 1512.82%
A new full frame camera with the "SLR of old" type controls, made specifically for monochrome 65.13%
Other (specify) 119.40%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd like more time to go out and use the kit I already have, thanks.

06-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Currently the need is still a couple of high quality primes glass (35 1.4, 85 1.4) for full frame and a landscape zoom (70-200 f4) for full frame.
In terms of cameras, there is a need for an aspc camera with best in class back illuminated sensor, 4K video capability, 10 FPS and very noticeably better AF.
As for a new full frame body, the current K1 with software changes would suffice, I do find the K1 software isn't as smooth as it could be, especially live view and electronic shutter feature aren't exploited to their full potential.
Ricoh could have done a monochrome version of the K1, it may have sold more then K1 II to existing K1 owners (monochrome K-1 would be a low light monster..).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-04-2018 at 01:50 PM.
06-04-2018, 02:04 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

I voted for the smallest possible full frame camera because if you are willing to carry it around, you are more likely to use it. I am sure Pentax could make a full frame DSLR the size of the K-r, or K-5, and still have plenty of features packed into it like the ability to post your jpeg pictures to social media and photo web sites with blue tooth built into the camera and your cell phone. We already know that Pentax can make very good compact lenses like the DFA 28-105 lens and the FA limiteds. A Full frame WR camera that size with improved AF would be just the thing that would attract more buyers to Pentax.
06-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
24 meg sensor
It wouldn't be very difficult (it seems) for Ricoh to have made a K2 with reusing the K1 body and a 24Mp sensor @ 8 FPS (instead of a K1 II tweak), it would have found buyers.

06-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #20
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Which begs the question of what you did use? (and this is not to start some brand debate, but just more for curiosity's sake)
A SONY a7III with a Sigma 24-105 Canon mount with an MC11 Canon to SONY E mount adapter.
06-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

AF system that fast, reliable and is good at tracking. AF during video. If the mount needs to be changed that is fine, make an adapter.
06-04-2018, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
I voted for the smallest possible full frame camera because if you are willing to carry it around, you are more likely to use it. I am sure Pentax could make a full frame DSLR the size of the K-r, or K-5, and still have plenty of features packed into it like the ability to post your jpeg pictures to social media and photo web sites with blue tooth built into the camera and your cell phone. We already know that Pentax can make very good compact lenses like the DFA 28-105 lens and the FA limiteds. A Full frame WR camera that size with improved AF would be just the thing that would attract more buyers to Pentax.
<br />
<br />
This is my opinion too. I think the positioning of the K-1 and it’s lenses is all wrong. With the body and lenses they’ve made and promised so far they are going into direct competition with Canon and Nikon. But they can’t win that game, because Canon and Nikon set the rules. Pentax is always going to be X number of lenses “behind” the competition. <br />
<br />
What they have needed to do from the start is to come up with a unique proposition for Pentax. Frustratingly, it has been staring the in the face from the beginning. They have the FA Limited lenses. Make more of those, and a smaller, lighter body that is still full of good features, and I think they would have a winner. I mean something like a full frame version of the KP in full frame and anc expanded range of D-FA Limiteds.<br />
<br />
So my suggestion is:<br />
- 24mp<br />
- Same AF as the K-1<br />
- Under 700g<br />
- Same compromises as the KP (one card slot, small battery, small grip)<br />
- Redesigned, lighter IBIS and mirror/prism mechanism ( the difficult part)<br />
- Accelerator to remove unsightly detail from images :-)
- $1,500 launch price<br />
- Renewed, expanded line of D-FA Limiteds<br />
- Accelerate delivery of moderate priced zooms (probably implies delaying high-end ones)<br />
<br />
Overall concept: Bring back 35mm format to the compact format it was designed to be - a FF DSLR system you don’t need a backpack to take on holiday.

Last edited by JPT; 06-04-2018 at 04:48 PM.
06-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
A SONY a7III with a Sigma 24-105 Canon mount with an MC11 Canon to SONY E mount adapter.
Thanks
06-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
When Honda put a 2nd motor and a battery on the Accord, they didn't give it a new name, they called it the Accord Hybrid. It was a new variation of the same car, same as I see the K-1 II. It's got the same controls and features, just refined by the addition of a 2nd processor.
I think Ricoh thinks the same since they did call it the K-1 II...
My comment was not about naming of the new camera. My comment was about people disparaging importance of the 'accelerator'; they continually talk as though it is an unimportant change in the design, and yet it is the one feature that has generated all the talk, here and at DPR, about the new camera.
06-04-2018, 10:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I mean something like a full frame version of the KP in full frame and anc expanded range of D-FA Limiteds.
Overall concept: Bring back 35mm format to the compact format it was designed to be - a FF DSLR system you don’t need a backpack to take on holiday.
The KP would be the holiday camera, I suppose.
06-04-2018, 11:36 PM   #26
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Right now, as I pretty much shoot in manual mode only, I could go for camera designed for old manual lenses, if it was cheap enough. 24Mpix sensor would be enough, if that helps to keep price down. Exposure and ISO on wheels or dials. Some way to set aperture, if lens doesn't have ring. Manual mode only with possibility to set aperture in auto mode. No AF, but good focusing screen. SR is something on the high tech I can't let go, but otherwise pretty basic would be fine. I do like and prefer modern camera design, so don't really want retro design. Just retro shooting experience. If price was in three digits and it was out now, I would go for it.

In reality I will pay what they ask for K1II within a year to use with my M lenses, buy a lot of features I don't need and be out of the market for a long time.
06-04-2018, 11:46 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Essentially a FF version of the K3 but with:

- Bigger buffer (~35+)
- Both card slots USH-II compatible
- More AF points (~50+)/improved AF
- USB 3.0
- Improved sync speed (1/250sec)
- *16-bit Raw files
- *Option to save Pixel Shift shots combined as a TIFF file in-body

*This is something I would like to see happen.
Should be priced around the same as the K1-II

Last edited by disconnekt; 06-05-2018 at 12:38 AM.
06-05-2018, 12:04 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very tempted by the 'made specifically for monochrome' - then I realised you were talking about black and white
Higher Mp is the way it's going, and that's what the new lenses are being designed for.
06-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I would still love to see a de-crippled mount (and correct metering for old lenses).

Apart from that, smaller size, like K5, or retro like Nikon Df.
06-05-2018, 12:11 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with all you say in theory, but that place is being taken over by mirrorless, in people's minds, isn't it. Maybe the KP was a stab in that direction, but it hasn't been a massive seller as far as I can tell, and FF would have to be bigger.