Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What should the next Pentax full frame camera be?
A K-1 III, with even more improvements, especially AF and video 3429.06%
A new 24MP camera at a lower price point, to stop people from going to the A7III 1311.11%
A higher resolution camera, 48MP or whatever is available, with improvements to AF and video 2218.80%
The smallest full frame camera possible, even if that means less controls on the body. 24 or 36MP. 1613.68%
A retro full frame with aperture, ISO and shutter speed controls - a "SLR of old" experience camera. 1512.82%
A new full frame camera with the "SLR of old" type controls, made specifically for monochrome 65.13%
Other (specify) 119.40%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
They are already doing it,K-1 the entry level FF and K-1ii,the super duper advanced model!
surfar, I know you're a great Fuji fan, and that's great because Fuji does have a great system and fantastic lens for those who can afford the system.

But is making fun of Pentax for having only one line of FF cameras really necessary?

06-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
surfar, I know you're a great Fuji fan, and that's great because Fuji does have a great system and fantastic lens for those who can afford the system.

But is making fun of Pentax for having only one line of FF cameras really necessary?
I know we are all here because we enjoy Pentax cameras, but do we need to avoid even the hint of criticism? Pentax does some things really well compared to its competitors, and other things poorly. It’s subjective, of course, but they’re not exactly killing it in the marketplace. We can all acknowledge that they’re a solid company, with very good cameras, and are an important part of the history of photography. I read his post as teasing and saw the humor in it.
06-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
I know we are all here because we enjoy Pentax cameras, but do we need to avoid even the hint of criticism? Pentax does some things really well compared to its competitors, and other things poorly. It’s subjective, of course, but they’re not exactly killing it in the marketplace. We can all acknowledge that they’re a solid company, with very good cameras, and are an important part of the history of photography. I read his post as teasing and saw the humor in it.
Ok maybe you have a point, but I saw it as criticism masked as a joke, and I guess I too have the right to have an opinion about it... as long as it's done respectfully, which I think I was.
06-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Ok maybe you have a point, but I saw it as criticism masked as a joke, and I guess I too have the right to have an opinion about it... as long as it's done respectfully, which I think I was.
I hear you. I'm as much a fan of Pentax as the rest of you all. But I've just seen a ton of defensiveness around these parts, and I tend to recoil when I perceive it. Self-criticism has been important to me as a person and in my career. I feel like it helps me see myself and my work realistically. Similarly, we gotta admit, as much as we love Pentax, it could make some changes that we would all love to see. Why not have a sense of humor about its shortcomings while simultaneously celebrating its successes? They're only cameras, after all.

06-20-2018, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I realize that at my age I am a dinosaur with one foot in the tar pit and the other on wet grass but if someone would make a dedicated still photography DSLR I'd buy it in a heart beat. I have absolutely NO need for video. If I wanted to shoot video I'd buy a video camera. I know. BLASPHOMY!!! STRING HIM UP!!! I'm not stupid enough to believe this could actually happen in this day and age but this thread seemed like a good opportunity to rant about it. Thank you.

Last edited by DW58; 06-20-2018 at 02:49 PM.
06-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
is making fun of Pentax for having only one line of FF cameras really necessary?
It was a joke,yes.However,it was also factual.......RI have made a great landscape camera in the K-1,i cant comment on its younger bro as i dont own one.

Another fact is,I personally use my %$@# system about the same amount as my Pentaxs(7 digital bodies,wont count the film ones and lost count of the lenses but over 50).I dont have any brand bias at all.

Why not have a sense of humor about its shortcomings while simultaneously celebrating its successes? They're only cameras, after all.
Yes,although some people buy into Pentax and expect RI to perform miracles.Slow and steady,the ship will come in.
06-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I realize that at my age I am a dinosaur with one foot in the tar pit and the other on wet grass but if someone would make a dedicated still photography DSLR I'd buy it in a heart beat. I have absolutely NO need for video. If I wanted to shoot video I'd buy a video camera. I know. BLASPHOMY!!! STRING HIM UP!!! I'm not stupid enough to believe this could actually happen in this day and age but this thread seemed like a good opportunity to rant about it. Thank you.
Dinosaurs need cameras too!

06-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #68
Pentaxian

rant about it.
Yes, and WHO needs all those prime lenses that are coming?
06-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Interesting, the "improved K-1" seems to be pulling clear of the other options!
06-20-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dinosaurs need cameras too!
You're absolutely right. And now that I think about it many dinosaurs have more money to spend than all those little whippersnappers that are still wet behind the ears.

Yes, and WHO needs all those prime lenses that are coming?
Personally I'm flush where primes are concerned. Pentax has been making primes for decades! Why make any more?
06-20-2018, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

Why make any more?
Yes, we only need the Takumars!
06-20-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, we only need the Takumars!
Well...... I do kinda like some of my lenses built after Neal Armstrong made the headlines.
06-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #73

First, let me very, very briefly summarise my standpoint regarding this poll.

Namely, I have Pentax 35mm film cameras but do not own a single Pentax digital camera. I have various K-mount lenses already, of course. Ideally, I would like to buy a Pentax full frame digital camera body, to use with my current lenses.

I don't need many of the technical features of the K-1. I can focus a lens myself, thank you very much! Likewise I really do not require anything complex in the way of auto-exposure. I can even get by, setting exposure manually. I suppose you could say I am in the "less is more" camp.

What I would really like is a Pentax digital SLR that was as close as possible, in form and function, to a Pentax ME Super. I have just checked the specs for the K-1 camera and the viewfinder image magnification is 0.7. This compares very unfavourably with its counterpart for the Pentax ME Super which is, as I recall, 0.92, or thereabouts. I am not sure what the device limitations that impose this great discrepancy but I wish it could be fixed somehow.

While recognising that most here are younger and more technically demanding than me I also believe there must be more than a handful of others who would share my requirements.
06-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
First, let me very, very briefly summarise my standpoint regarding this poll.

Namely, I have Pentax 35mm film cameras but do not own a single Pentax digital camera. I have various K-mount lenses already, of course. Ideally, I would like to buy a Pentax full frame digital camera body, to use with my current lenses.

I don't need many of the technical features of the K-1. I can focus a lens myself, thank you very much! Likewise I really do not require anything complex in the way of auto-exposure. I can even get by, setting exposure manually. I suppose you could say I am in the "less is more" camp.

What I would really like is a Pentax digital SLR that was as close as possible, in form and function, to a Pentax ME Super. I have just checked the specs for the K-1 camera and the viewfinder image magnification is 0.7. This compares very unfavourably with its counterpart for the Pentax ME Super which is, as I recall, 0.92, or thereabouts. I am not sure what the device limitations that impose this great discrepancy but I wish it could be fixed somehow.

While recognising that most here are younger and more technically demanding than me I also believe there must be more than a handful of others who would share my requirements.
Yes, there are others who think like you... in fact, what you describe is the third place option in this poll, right behind the higher-megapixel-supercamera
06-22-2018, 04:43 AM - 2 Likes   #75

The reason I switched to Pentax and the K1 was because it was selling itself as a phenomenal stills camera. Being a landscape photographer, I wasn't interested in video, fast auto focus, fast fps, lots of focus points etc which is why the K1 was so appealing, they invested their resources into making a camera aimed at stills photography, especially landscapes with the weather sealing, pixelshift/astrotracer/composition adjustment.

I'd be rather annoyed if the K1 successor didn't build on this (even better image quality and most importantly, even better dynamic range) and instead decide to try and make the new camera a jack of all trades, master of none kind of camera by focusing primarily on just improving auto focus and speed.

I remember the reason years ago why I bought a Canon 5Dmk2, it was a phenomenal stills camera at the time, then the mk3 came out and it improved on none of the image quality factors that made the Mk2 so amazing, they instead improved the focus and speed, thus losing its identity in my mind as a great stills camera and just a 'does a bit of everything camera' hence why I left Canon years ago.

So to summarise, stay on the image quality path, better quality sensor with a truly amazing dynamic range.